Black Plastic "guard" on back of Marathon??

TnT's Mom

I am wondering if it is okay to remove this black piece of plastic....it is on the back of the seat kind of over where the straps go and when you tighten the straps the metal piece that the straps are hooked to has to slide along the seat back but behind this plastic piece ( I know I am doing a horrible job describing this...sorry) I have been having some trouble with my son's Marathon getting the straps tight enough and I think the metal piece keeps getting hung up on this black plastic piece...I can see scrapes on it so I tried removing it today and with a little persistence was able too. After reinstalling the seat and trying my son out in it the straps seem to be tightening much better. Soooo...is it ok to keep this piece off?

Thanks for any help!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If the carseat was made with it attached then leave it. At the very least read the manual to see if it is detachable and/or call Customer Service....

How is the harness difficult to adjust? You've tried the tug-tug-tug ratchet motion? Is it FF or RF?

TnT's Mom

He is forward facing...he weighs 35 pounds. The straps just don't seem to get tight enough when I pull the strap...I have to tug and release the latch and tug again and they still are not tight enough. I have found that pulling the strap up at an angle rather then straight towards the front seat helps but still they don't seem snug enough. I had thought I read here once that this piece of plastic could come off but maybe I am mistaken??? I guess I will call Britax in the morning. (The piece basically clips /snaps into the back of the seat in 4 places, it is rectangular maybe 6"x4" and the straps go down behind it.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I would not remove it without the OK from Britax.... Are the straps loose on the collar bone or only at the tummy? Britax's straps are often sort of loose at the tummy but tight at the collar bone & that's fine (perhaps why they HUGS are required FF? Anyone else know?)

TnT's Mom

I wondered about that...they are definitely looser at the tummy but still seem like they should be snugger in the chest to collarbone area if that makes sense. I feel like I can slide my hand right behind them. We just don't seem to have this much difficulty with our Boulevard.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
Hey TnT's Mom,
I have been having the same problem with my BV. I can not get it tight enough. I am able to tighten it some now, which is an improvement, but it just isn't good enough. Before we would have to take our daughter in and out of the seat to tighten, until we got it right.
I posted about it last week http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=11634.
I called Britax and the rep I talked to told me to remove the belt guard (that it would not impact the integrity of the seat), but I could not get it off. And the more I thought about it, I would want a second opinion from a different rep. (the woman I talked to was not the most helpful, I have not called back b/c the wait time to talk to anyone is ridiculous).
Let me know what you find out.
Good Luck:)
Michelle

Dillipop

I am pretty sure that I've read on here that the black piece can be removed. It is just there to make a sleeve for the harness to move through without hitting the seat. Call Britax to make sure, though.

The easiest way to tighten the marathon, IMO, is to push/pull the adjuster strap towards the floor. Nice and tight every time for us. Pulling out or up just doesn't do it for me.

mommy2jana

I don't think the belt guard is going to affect the performance of the seat. I'd still call Britax, though, just to make sure. I forgot why I took mine off when I first got my MA, but I couldn't get it to go back on. I think its there mainly so that you can install with the seat belt without the seatbelt getting tangled with the harness or having the seat belt go between the harness and the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I am wondering if it is okay to remove this black piece of plastic....it is on the back of the seat kind of over where the straps go and when you tighten the straps the metal piece that the straps are hooked to has to slide along the seat back but behind this plastic piece ( I know I am doing a horrible job describing this...sorry) I have been having some trouble with my son's Marathon getting the straps tight enough and I think the metal piece keeps getting hung up on this black plastic piece...I can see scrapes on it so I tried removing it today and with a little persistence was able too. After reinstalling the seat and trying my son out in it the straps seem to be tightening much better. Soooo...is it ok to keep this piece off?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, you can take it off. If you install the seat with a seatbelt, be sure it doesn't snag or tangle in the harness, though (buckle and tighten the harness before installation so it's out of your way, or you'll end up with an even worse tightening issue!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC