seatbelt vs latch?

tearthesky281

Is using the seatbelt for carseats just as safe as the latch? Im curious to know because i feel more safe with latch but the car i want is a 98 and does not have latch but is really roomy and fits my price range. I would like to know opinions that would help thanks!

ADS

Maedze

Seatbelt is just as safe as lower anchors to install a car seat. A top tether should ALWAYS be used for a forward facing seat, though.

With your kids, there's no safety difference once you turn your 1 year old rear facing again :)

Last edited:

kaysmom

Yep, Maedze is right, one is not safer than the other. And in some instances with certain seats you can't get a good install with LATCH and you can with the seatbelt or vice versa so a car not having LATCH would not be a reason to not get a specific car:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It should be pretty easy to add a top tether anchor or two or three to your car, depending on which one it is, for when the kiddo(s) are too big to rearface, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC