Angle Question RF Scenera

AudreysMommy

I read a post earlier about angles for RF seats and I want to make sure I understand. Can it be at different angles or do you need to follow the "indicator" on the side of a seat?

The reason I ask is we bought a Cosco Scenera for my MIL 2007 Accord and she had it put it by the local police department and I went to look at it today because I knew they put the straps in the wrong thread hole so I wanted to fix it and I looked and I don't feel comfortable in how they put it in. First it is touching the back of the passenger seat and second it is not level based on the line that is drawn on the side.

I have a certified tech in another city that has put a couple seats in for me so I think I am going to borrow her car and take it to her to fix but I wanted to know the guidlines for the level of a carseat and why.

thank you so much for your info and advice. I love this site and I have learned so much. I really think I want to become a CPS and spread my love of safety.

ADS

Maedze

How old is your child? A newborn/very young infant definitely needs that 45 degree angle (the line should be level with the ground). For an older baby, once she has good head control, not only is it safe to be more upright, it's actually safER than the 45 degree angle. This is because in an accident, more of the force will be absorbed by the shell rather than the harness at the shoulders.

As for touching, if your mother's Accord's passenger side has advanced airbags, check the vehicle manual. There *may* be a prohibition against a child restraint touching the back of the passenger seat. However, as long as there is no prohibition in the vehicle manual, it's fine for it to touch. (You can't brace it, but mere contact is not a safety issue.)

Pixels

The 2007 Accord does have advanced airbags and warnings about touching in the vehicle manual. I just looked that one up this week. :)

Maedze

The 2007 Accord does have advanced airbags and warnings about touching in the vehicle manual. I just looked that one up this week. :)

That answers your question, OP, the Scenera may not touch the vehicle seat.

However, because you have a larger back seat and the Scenera can be more upright, that shouldn't be a problem for you :)

AudreysMommy

How old is your child? A newborn/very young infant definitely needs that 45 degree angle (the line should be level with the ground). For an older baby, once she has good head control, not only is it safe to be more upright, it's actually safER than the 45 degree angle. This is because in an accident, more of the force will be absorbed by the shell rather than the harness at the shoulders.

wow I did not know this. My daughter is 4 months so what angle do you think is best? why do they put the indicator on there then I wonder?

skaterbabs

If your DD has good head control, you can install the seat more upright. If you find her head slumps with it more upright, recline it a bit more.

DahliaRW

They put the indicator on there because newborns HAVE to be at 45 degrees or they are at risk of suffocation from their heads flopping forward. So it's a liability thing for little babies.

Maedze

wow I did not know this. My daughter is 4 months so what angle do you think is best? why do they put the indicator on there then I wonder?

At four months I would probably leave her reclined at 40-45 degrees, certainly not less. Although most 4 month old babies have a decent amount of head control at that age, they do tire fast and tend to slump.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC