I meat a extended RF, CD'ing, extended BF mommy last night and it wasn't a dream!

JaRylan

I went out for supper with my cousin, her husband and 4 of their friends for her birthday last night. My cousin is expecting her first child in June. After we had ordered our meals the other mom who was there reached under the table and out of her purse (it was almost like watching a magician) she pulled - a fuzzi bunz, bum genius, swaddlebee, homemade cd and one other kind (a cover I think) and the mom is all cloth too. She is also still breast feeding at 20 months and he is also rear-facing! I was estatic! My cousin plans to breast feed and cloth diaper and she will also come to me when she starts looking for car seat advice (which means I will come here to seek that advice :D ) It was so neat to talk to another person (her husband is completely into it too) who was as enthusiastic about all the same issues. It was almost like we were a tag-team - would love to have had someone sitting there who we could have converted, lol, but my cousin is already on board with everything.:cool:

....they do exist....

Last edited:
ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Awesome! :D Isn't that great to meet like-minded folks?

Ya know, when reading mainstream/conventional parenting mags or watching the news, I sometimes feel like we're on another planet b/c many of our friends do extended BF, some do CD, and a small small handful do extended RF... But you get the idea from these other sources that you're an alien or something if you do any of these things. :rolleyes:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Very cool! All of my RL friends do these things too! My 2 year old is still nursing, and still rear facing :)

scatterbunny

That's so cool! :)

None of my real-life friends were into cloth diapers, extended rear-facing or extended breastfeeding until recently. Now one friend has converted to cloth AND extended rear-facing.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Do any of you follow any kind of Attachment Parenting kind of things? :)

scatterbunny

I never did follow any kind of parenting philosophy. I tried out various things and continued whatever worked for us. We co-slept (still do about half the time) and try to practice natural consequences as the major form of discipline. Hayley was tongue-tied and couldn't BF, and by the time we figured out what was going on she was a month old and my milk was almost dried up and I didn't know enough to have persistence and keep going. I had a crappy LC who actually told me to starve my 4 pound preemie until she "figured it out", and that about made me have a breakdown. So we formula-fed exclusively after that. I didn't discover cloth until recently, when I got tired of buying Pull-Ups and GoodNites for my 5yo who still wets the bed. I didn't discover CPS until she was 2.5 years old.

So I'm all prepared for a new baby, should that "oops" ever occur. :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
SO cool :D

I moderate the local AP group :) I started it by myself (but with the thumbs up from some lovely homeschooling familes) when Leila was a baby & I needed support nearby (rather than only in cyberspace) -- www.attachmentparenting.org has groups all over the world & encourages moms to start their own if one isn't close enough....

Last edited:

CRS

Senior Community Member
I never did follow any kind of parenting philosophy. I tried out various things and continued whatever worked for us. We co-slept (still do about half the time) and try to practice natural consequences as the major form of discipline. Hayley was tongue-tied and couldn't BF, and by the time we figured out what was going on she was a month old and my milk was almost dried up and I didn't know enough to have persistence and keep going. I had a crappy LC who actually told me to starve my 4 pound preemie until she "figured it out", and that about made me have a breakdown. So we formula-fed exclusively after that. I didn't discover cloth until recently, when I got tired of buying Pull-Ups and GoodNites for my 5yo who still wets the bed. I didn't discover CPS until she was 2.5 years old.

Same here, I don't follow any kind of parenting philosophy, just what comes natural so when I heard of AP I was surprised to learn that I do a lot of the same kids of practices! I was lucky enough to be able to BF and did for 13 months. Shocking LC!!!! It's sad when you're let down by those who are meant to help you!

I really do want to get in to cloth full time, have tried a few different brands/types and decided I liked fuzzibunz but to cloth two kids in them full time and buy all brand new (I just can't do 2nd hand nappies lol) would cost me near on $600NZD, maybe even more!

skaterbabs

Just like CPSTs, sometimes you get a good one and soemtimes you don't. :( The one I saw with Joyjoy told me that the amount of milk I oculd pump was the amount of milk I had, which of course is completely false. If I hadn't know better we probably would have weaned completely.

CRS

Senior Community Member
SO cool :D

I moderate the local AP group :) I started it by myself when Leila was a baby & I needed support nearby (rather than only in cyberspace) -- www.attachmentparenting.org has groups all over the world & encourages moms to start their own if one isn't close enough....

I've always kind of had fussy babies, well #2 is better than #1 by far, but still fussy so they've always been held and cuddled a lot. This time around my friend convinced me to buy a sling and it's great! He's never even been in a pram yet lol, I hold Mr 3 1/2 weeks in my sling all the time, don't know what it's going to be like when he gets really heavy but for now it's great. I was up until 1am in the morning (10:11am on a Monday here right now) trying to settle him cause he wouldn't stop screaming! Popped him in the sling and what do you know, sound asleep! LOL He also sleeps by my side when he will go in his basinette but at nights he co sleeps with me :) I co slept with #1 as well, it's the only way I could cope AND get some sleep as he was REALLY fussy.

JaRylan

LOL, I'm a late bloomer too! If/when I have a second child (kind of waiting for the "when" I have another relationship first :p ) I will be good to go. Rylan is 4.5 and I'm about to start cd'ing (GoodNites leak and they are expensive when you use 5 or 6 a day) and I'm way more educated about car seat issues now. We also have been co-sleeping since October when he started having grand-mals.

None of my friends IRL do cd or xrf that I know of. :( Lots of bf'ing and my sister bf until my nephew was almost 2 and then she ended up in the hospital and had to start meds and wean. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC