Question Successful 3 across in middle row of Odyssey?

mlohry

So last week I told my SIL that I would do daycare for her new baby, well today she found out she is having twins. So, I am wondering if anyone knows of a successful 3 across in the middle row of a Odyssey, I need the back for my 2 boys, one in a TB and and one harnessed in a GN. I also have a 1 year old, will be over 18 months (she is ERF in a Marathon know that expires next year) when the babies come. I need to get her a new convertible and thought I would take this into consideration. I would like to keep the babies and my DD in the middle, is that possible, with that 3rd seat in the middle? Just checking.

ADS

lovinwaves

With two radians outboard you can get just about anything to fit in the middle 8th seat, of course assuming it installs correctly. So I would plan on at least 2 Radians :)

mlohry

It is a 2005. So is it OK to install a seat in the middle row, in that middle seat, I was not 100% sure, guess I could look at my manual LOL! I was just wondering if it is at all possible to get 5 kids into our van.

4boysmom

It is a 2005. So is it OK to install a seat in the middle row, in that middle seat, I was not 100% sure, guess I could look at my manual LOL! I was just wondering if it is at all possible to get 5 kids into our van.

I can get 5 seats in a 7 seater oddy so if you have a 8 seater you are good to go :thumbsup:

stephcali

I'm about to try 3 across in the 2nd row of my '08 Odyssey for our new baby coming in a few weeks. I'll have a Frontier, RF Radian and SR22. I don't have any doubts they will all fit, it's just a matter of what order they are in. I'd love to have the Frontier in the middle, but I don't think that will happen at all (and there is no top tether), so it will probably be the Radian in the middle of ours. That middle seatbelt is tricky to deal with for car seat installs, but I know it can be done :)

I do remember when we bought our Odyssey the sales guy told us that you can't install a car seat on the middle seat. But I'm pretty sure they just say that because there isn't LATCH there and they assume you can't install a car seat without LATCH, or they just don't know what they are talking about :) From what I've read here there has actually been confirmation from Honda that you can install a car seat in that seat, just with the seat belt of course. And you would definitely want it to be a RF seat since there is no tether anchor for that seat.

lovinwaves

You absolutely positively can install a car seat in that 8th seat. The question though is, can you get a proper install? There isn't a top tether or LATCH, so that is something else to take into consideration. The seatbelt comes down from the ceiling and connects in two places, making another possible installation problem, because the buckles might end up near or in the beltpath.

I just did this today (thanks Strollerfreak :love:). This is a Safeseat1, or basically a new snugride32 or snugride 35. Easiest install ever, even with that seatbelt from the ceiling. Plenty of room to work with even with the radians installed outboard. If I was having a 3rd child, this is probably the setup I would do, UNLESS I had a child in a booster seat that would fit in that 8th seat.

So OP, you could do this setup (just really not sure if you can do this with any other outboard seats other than the Radian) or think about putting a booster in the "8th seat" and the infant seat, and another harnessed seat in the outboard positions. With the Radians being low profile, it is going to make it easier for you to pull out and in that infant seat, ya know?

26218_401919629413_612249413_4961384_3847013_n.jpg

26218_401919729413_612249413_4961385_4914550_n.jpg

26218_401919809413_612249413_4961386_3550717_n.jpg

mlohry

LOVINWAVES, thank you so much for that great info! I am not sure what I am going to end up putting in that middle, but it is good to know that I can at least put some seat in that 8th spot. I was not sure. Once on a camping trip, we did 3 in the middle, we put our DS in the booster there. I really want the babies in the middle, so we will have to see. Do you think I could get 2 Graco infant seats outboard and a Marathon or a ETA in the middle? It would be nice to have easy access to the infant seats. Seriously, I don't know what I am thinking, how am I ever going to get 3 babies in and out, makes me exhausted thinking about it.

Hey, could I put an infant seat in the 3rd row, with a booster kid and GN, harnessed? Maybe that would work better for accessability. It would be nice to put my DD somewhere where she could stay and not have to be inconvenienced when the twins were not with us. I could keep her on the passenger side that is slid to the middle to allow for easy accessability to the back and then a infant seat behind the driver in the middle row. Then an infant seat, GN harnessed and TB booster in the 3rd row, wonder if that would work the best.

mlohry

LOVINWAVES, thank you so much for that great info! I am not sure what I am going to end up putting in that middle, but it is good to know that I can at least put some seat in that 8th spot. I was not sure. Once on a camping trip, we did 3 in the middle, we put our DS in the booster there. I really want the babies in the middle, so we will have to see. Do you think I could get 2 Graco infant seats outboard and a Marathon or a ETA in the middle? It would be nice to have easy access to the infant seats. Seriously, I don't know what I am thinking, how am I ever going to get 3 babies in and out, makes me exhausted thinking about it.

Hey, could I put an infant seat in the 3rd row, with a booster kid and GN, harnessed? Maybe that would work better for accessability. It would be nice to put my DD somewhere where she could stay and not have to be inconvenienced when the twins were not with us. I could keep her on the passenger side that is slid to the middle to allow for easy accessability to the back and then a infant seat behind the driver in the middle row. Then an infant seat, GN harnessed and TB booster in the 3rd row, wonder if that would work the best.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC