Question Anyone fit three across in a Mazda Protege?

n0tsomuch

Hi. I want to know if anyone fit 3 across SAFELY in a mazda protege. We've tried a radian in it, and we weren't satisfied with the fit. My husband is pretty tall, so we're limited on space. Also, my daughter is 5 and riding in a Regent. My 3 year old is riding in a true fit. According to the specs, the hip room in the protege is 49.1''. In my head, I don't see how this would be possible to do in a way that would safe. What are your experiences? Thanks.

Katy

ADS

ChristyH

What year is your Protege?

I have a Protege sitting in the garage (rarely gets driven) but I can try out a 3 across in it tomorrow. I have a Radian and a Regent and a few other seats, I'll let you know what I come up with.

n0tsomuch

According to the hard to find measurements of a 1995, it appears that the back seat to a 1995 protege is 53''. Mine is 49.1. Blasted small car! I hope I'm wrong.

ChristyH

According to the hard to find measurements of a 1995, it appears that the back seat to a 1995 protege is 53''. Mine is 49.1. Blasted small car! I hope I'm wrong.

I just measured ours and it's a 51" back seat maybe a little bit smaller, but definitely not 53". The seats are not flat all the way across though so that might take even a little more space away. The baby is feeling a little under the weather this morning so as soon as she takes a nap I can try a 3 across.

n0tsomuch

Don't worry about it. Your car has 2'' on than mine in hip room. Just take care of your baby. It's okay, really. :)

Katy

monzogary

Senior Community Member
I have a 2000 Protege and have fit 3 across before. The Regent will not fit with two other seats though. It all depends how the seats puzzle together. I fit two rf MAs and a no back booster, and a narrow infant seat, a rf MA, and a no back booster. I haven't tried to fit 3 across in a long time though, as my oldest has been out of a booster for about 5.5 yrs now. I would seriously think about getting a good local tech to help you figure out what will work for you.

Twinklefae

Me! I have 3 across in my 2000 Madza Protege. The three seats I have work really well, and almost all fit FF'ing and RF'ing, though it really depends on the driver.

I have a FF'ing Radian, FF'ing Scenera and a RF"ing TF right now. I can also do a RF'ing Radian and FF Scenera. I also have a Clek Oto that will fit right in where the Scenera goes in the middle.

How tall is your husband? Mine's 5'11" and can sit in front of a RF'ing TF.

n0tsomuch

My husband is 6'2''. He's pretty tall. I think I'll go with two radians and an infant seat in the middle. Although, I had a time trying to get the Radian to fit rear facing snugly enough. We had to return it. Hopefully, we'll have more luck with forward facing.

Twinklefae

I find the FF'ing install good 9 times out of 10, and that tenth time I just can't get it. I have to walk away and try again later. Usually it's because I've forgotten to push DOWN not IN while installing it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC