I got scolded by a stranger today a/b ds's seat

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I guess it is a good thing... sorta...

I was getting gas and a fireman was opposite us at the same pump. Windows were down and he saw a toddler erf'd so he spoke up. He wanted to take a peak as he is a cpst. I agreed. Then he gave me a lecture. I moved ds up to the second to top slot on the xtsl, bc we couldn't keep the harness on him as it was way below his shoulders on the third. When I put him in, he is dead even, but after he settles they are a/b .25" above... just enough that they are indeed above.

Yep... I am a week away from my course and I got told!!! :eek:

He fits so much better this way. I don't want to move him back down, bc if I do, I will have to stop using the seat, that is how bad it slips.

ADS

Maedze

If the harness is actually coming off his shoulders in the slot below, you move it up. Pinkie-swear, you aren't endangering your child. LOL.

Did he at least understand the concept of keeping a kid rear facing?

jrmo

My DD is exactly the same way in her XTSL. That 3rd to 4th slot is a huge jump and I figure that tiny amount is negligible, as far as crash results. Now, if it were an inch, or two, that might be different, but as long as the straps are snug and it's that tiny amount higher... meh.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
At least he lectured you with CORRECT advice. I thought for sure you were going to say that the kid needed to be turned FF. (Not that it's nice to get lectured about anything, but given the horror stories we hear about firemen and car seat advice, that's almost refreshing.)

And while he's technically correct, as has been discussed here before, it's not the end of the world to have the straps a teensy bit above the shoulders, especially if the alternative is to have them so far below that they slip off. I wouldn't lose sleep over 1/4".

JerseyGirl'sMama

I agree to leave it slightly above in your situation, as long as your child has plenty of shell above their head to cover the extra ramping up.

mommy-medic

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wait.......

You mean he didn't have a come-apart at ERFing?

He gave CORRECT info?

He was brave enough to speak up and even take a peek to begin with????

Was he single? :whistle: (kidding of course).

:thumbsup:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
At least he lectured you with CORRECT advice. I thought for sure you were going to say that the kid needed to be turned FF. (Not that it's nice to get lectured about anything, but given the horror stories we hear about firemen and car seat advice, that's almost refreshing.)

And while he's technically correct, as has been discussed here before, it's not the end of the world to have the straps a teensy bit above the shoulders, especially if the alternative is to have them so far below that they slip off. I wouldn't lose sleep over 1/4".

He auggested this until I could safely turn him back rf above the slots.

Um. Yeah. NO!

Edited to add: He was very inquisitive. Especially about a 45lb rf limit. He also asked about the tethering. He gave my carseats a serious one-over. We actually had to move to finish our conversation. I wouldn't have been so open had he not been in a marked suv and in marked clothes too.

henrietta

All in all, that's pretty cool!

FWIW, I moved ds2 up to the 3rd slots on our Decathlon rearfacing, and yes, it is slightly above his shoulders when he settles down. It's not a half inch, but it's not a "smidge" either. He's got plenty of room above his head, and I was having trouble getting the straps on correctly. Sadly, I can't believe that he's this tall at only 18 mos old!!! Wish he was in a Radian!

henrietta

I have the same strap issue in my Sceneras. The harness was so low that it was no longer fitting correctly so I moved them up. When in CD they are dead even when in sposies they have a 1/4" or less.

Kat_Momof3

this has been typical recommended advice/solution for the problem since I can remember.

I don't think turning him forward facing until he is above the next set of slots is remotely reasonable when even the manufacturers of the carseats have agreed with this solution and recommended it.

I hope you were able to educate him some and that you told him you are becoming a tech, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC