Carseats for forward facing in the UK

mommyof3tx

I know it's hard to find high weight rear facing ones but carseat.se has been really helpful to alot of the girls that I've told about RF and many are ordering in from there and they are even for sale in some places in the UK now. But what about higher weight FF-booster seats? Someone is looking for a seat in their 4-11 age range but she said everything she is finding says to remove the harness at 3-4yrs old? (or about 39lbs) Anyone know of some good ones that will keep them harnessed longer?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
In Sweden they keep them rear-facing to the limits of the seat (or thereabouts), then put them forward facing in a booster. Somewhere between 4 and 6 years of age. So, if your friend has a Swedish RF seat, she'd be best to take advantage of the extra rear-facing time and is likely to be able to keep her child rear-facing until it's booster time.

Or does this friend not currently have a Swedisn rear-facing seat?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If that's the case, hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in as I am a novice in this area!

I know that most seats in the UK follow the typical Group 1 harness to 18kg and then the next step is Group 2 without the harness (starting at 15kg I believe?) But, the UK can use any ECE R44/04 certified seat, correct? If so, the Britax Two-Way Elite sold in Sweden harnesses to 55# FF. That being said, it also harnesses to 55# REAR-facing. So, personally, if I bought that seat, I'd use it rear-facing until the child outgrew it and then switch to a booster. And if I was using it RF, I'd have more choices in seats than just the Two-Way since there are other options to RF to 55#. But, if she doesn't want to RF her daughter, the Two-Way can be used FF harnessed to 55#, so that's one option for her.

mommyof3tx

Wow I can't believe that's the only option...it's so crazy. I know it's been said before but I just don't understand why manufacturers that obviously know the safety aspect of these seats don't provide them everywhere they sell their seats.

But thanks for the help, I let her know about that seat :)

Adventuredad

There is no safety difference between harnessing older kids, 4 and up, and using high back boosters. This is one reason why we recommend not using harnesses eats forward facing in Sweden. We actually feel it's safer with high back boosters.

The situation outside Sweden, like in UK, is more complicated since rear facing to age 4 is a new thing. For most, rear facing past 12 months is not common. There is therefore a problem with those kids who are relatively young but weight more than 18 kg (40 lbs). Using a high back booster for a 2.5 year old is not a good thing since it's tough to get a nice belt fit and maturity is also an issue.

Introducing a couple of harnessed seats with higher weight limit might be a good idea but IMHO there is also a danger in having too much selection. Parents are very confused in general about choosing car seats, an almost limitless selection like in some countries is not a good thing.:twocents:

Two-Way is a good and very strong combination seat with taller seat shell than a regular seat. It's light weight and doesn't need much room rear facing and of course little room forward facing. The sets fits very well in standard cars such as a VW Golf. The seat shell allow most "normal" children to sit rear facing/forward facing to 125 cm or longer (49 inches).

There is also a special needs seat from Britax but it's a real beast. Very heavy and expensive. Very few of these are sold.

If you or your friend has any questions please feel free to ask here or email hakan@carseat.se

lil96

Concord Fixmax also goes to 25 KG/55lbs in a harness. Then can be used as a booster until 36KG. It is still available, but it is 44.03 norm, not 44.04.

mommyof3tx

There is no safety difference between harnessing older kids, 4 and up, and using high back boosters. This is one reason why we recommend not using harnesses eats forward facing in Sweden. We actually feel it's safer with high back boosters.

The situation outside Sweden, like in UK, is more complicated since rear facing to age 4 is a new thing. For most, rear facing past 12 months is not common. There is therefore a problem with those kids who are relatively young but weight more than 18 kg (40 lbs). Using a high back booster for a 2.5 year old is not a good thing since it's tough to get a nice belt fit and maturity is also an issue.

Introducing a couple of harnessed seats with higher weight limit might be a good idea but IMHO there is also a danger in having too much selection. Parents are very confused in general about choosing car seats, an almost limitless selection like in some countries is not a good thing.:twocents:

Two-Way is a good and very strong combination seat with taller seat shell than a regular seat. It's light weight and doesn't need much room rear facing and of course little room forward facing. The sets fits very well in standard cars such as a VW Golf. The seat shell allow most "normal" children to sit rear facing/forward facing to 125 cm or longer (49 inches).

There is also a special needs seat from Britax but it's a real beast. Very heavy and expensive. Very few of these are sold.

If you or your friend has any questions please feel free to ask here or email hakan@carseat.se

Thank you, I told her about the two way but also told her to try out some of the booster seats to see which fit best in her car and fit her daughter best. And passed on your other info.

I think you are who a few of the girls I've passed on to carseat.se have been talking to :) They've been raving about what wonderful customer service they have got from you, helping them figure out which seats will fit best in their cars. Thanks

Adventuredad

Concord Fixmax also goes to 25 KG/55lbs in a harness. Then can be used as a booster until 36KG. It is still available, but it is 44.03 norm, not 44.04.

Thanks! The difference in norms is IMHO not relevant. Crash testing is identical in both norms, only difference is basically that manufacturers need to supply a number of seats for testing to verify they are all the same. I believe that number is 5.

Thanks for the kind words mommyof3tx!

joyride

Only stock models for special needs available, imho.
I think I heard the last Fixmax was produced 2005 from Concord. Do you have different information?
Joy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC