Selecting a seat with a 65lb harness

CVette

I am looking for car seat suggestions and advice. We have two sons. DS1 is 32 months, 36lbs and 38” and our newborn DS2 is 4 months, 20lbs and 27”. They have both been consistently around the 95th percentile for height and weight or off the chart. DS1 outgrew his Graco Snugride (22lbs max) quickly and he is now in an Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX (50lbs max). DS2 is quickly outgrowing the Snugride and will soon be ready for the EFTA. I knew I’d be looking for a booster seat eventually but I didn’t expect to need one so soon. All of these seats install with LATCH in a 2005 Altima that has high seatbacks. We won’t be moving it after the install or have 3 across so weight and external size are not an issue.

I usually research products first and then go to the store and check them out first hand. I prefer to buy locally so I can return it if there is a problem. I’m looking in Target, BabiesRUs, ToysRUs and maybe Walmart or Kmart/Sears. Here’s my list of booster seats that have a harness limit of 65lbs or over:

Seat (max harness weight, max harness height, max buckle position):
-- Britax Frontier or Frontier 85 (80/85, 18.5, 8.75)
-- Evenflo Generations 65 (65, 16.25, 7)
-- Evenflo Symphony 65 (65, ??, ??)
-- Graco Nautilus (65, 18.25, 7)
-- Saefty 1st Apex 65 (65, 17.5, 7)
-- Sunshine Kids Radian 65/80 or XT (65/80, 17.5/17, 7.5/7)
For reference: EFTA (50, 16.75, 8.75)

(I will confirm the measurements myself at the store but thanks to everyone for this great site http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/)

I’m guessing DS2 will reach 50lbs and outgrow the EFTA at about age 4 or 5 (in about 3.5-4.5 years). So I want to be sure DS1 will not outgrow this seat I buy now before I need to hand it down to DS2. DS1 will be about 6 in 3.5 years, so based on 95th percentile growth charts I’m guessing he’ll be about 60lbs and 50”. Which one of these seats will get me there? I should be OK on weight since they all have at least a 65lb harness max. I’ll need to worry most about harness height and buckle length/position. Since this seat I buy now will most likely be handed down to DS2 before DS1 goes to a belt positioning booster, I don’t think I care (as much) how these seats act as BPBs. I just want to avoid maxing out the harness height and buckle before reaching the max harness weight or handing it down to DS2.

I would choose the Frontier if I was not concerned about price. I am wondering if any of the other seats listed would provide the same amount of safety, usage and comfort for less money. I’m concerned the Nautilus buckle or internal width will be a problem. We’ll be taking DS1 to the store to try these out for fit but any advice on what might be outgrown too early would be greatly appreciated. When compared to those on the list, the EFTA is quite large so I’d hate to lose room to grow by going to a shorter harness height (Generations 65) or a smaller buckle (anything but the Frontier?!). And of course the Frontier “lasts” 9 years instead of 6 so all signs seem to point me to the Frontier, except the price tag.

I've heard about turning in a car seat for a discount at BRU, is this any time or only during a promotion? If we do select the Frontier, I'll need to search for coupons and deals.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I thought it would be better to post all of the info instead of being asked for more information.
Thanks, Chris

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
My son is almost 2.5, about 34 pounds, and in the 95th percentile for height, so just a little younger and lighter than your son. I have him rear-facing in a Graco My Ride in my husband's car, and I just bought him a Radian XTSL to keep him rear-facing in my car. Those two seats, plus the Safety 1st Complete Air and the other various Radian models that rear-face to 40 or 45 pounds, would be my suggestions for a 32 month old who weighs 36 pounds. Actually, I'd probably suggest the Radian XTSL & 80SL at the top of the list of seats to check out because of their 45 pound rear-facing weight limit. I think the Radians would last until at least 3.5 or 4 years old rear-facing, then forward-facing until a kiddo is ready for a booster.

As for forward-facing seats, I have a Frontier for my almost 5 year old daughter. I like the Frontier, and I think the Nautilus is a good seat as well. I wouldn't suggest the Evenflo Symphony 65, because it's a convertible (well, actually a 3-in-1 that turns into a booster as well) with only a 35 pound rear-facing limit, so you would be paying for a feature of the seat you wouldn't use. I don't know much about the Evenflo Generations 65, but I think maybe the Evenflo Maestro (50 pound limit) has a taller top harness slot. I believe that the Apex requires support from a headrest/tall seatback after a certain point, but I think it would be okay in your Altima since you said it has high seatbacks. It doesn't get recommended as often anymore with the Frontier and Nautilus (and the Maestro as a budget option) now on the market. If you do decide to buy a forward-facing seat, I think it might be worthwhile to keep your eye out for a new Frontier 85 to be able to see if that's a good fit for your child and vehicle, because of the redesign with higher top harness slot and easier belt path for installation.

I believe that some online retailers like diapers.com have pretty easy return policies. I also think that if you order from Target.com you can return to your local Target. That might help open the possibilities in case you can't find something locally. :)

Jhockley

I would go with the new Frontier. My dd is a big kid too- she was 42lbs and 40ins on her 3rd b-day. We got her the EFTA a few months before when she hit 40lbs and she was in that for a year and we got her the Nautilus b/c she outgrew the EFTA by wt and she was in that for just over a year. She's been 5 for a few months now and is 60lbs, and is out of the Nautilus harness by height in all but 1 very upright vehicle. She's in a Regent in my car. So by not buying the biggest seat right off I've had her in 4 ff harnessed seats and it's been expensive! Just thought I'd share my story.

She's fairly broad shouldered, but never complained about the width of the Nautilus (and came directly from and EFTA like yours will be). She was barely sitting on the crotch strap at the end, but boys tend to be more concerned about that. So it worked okay for her, but I think the new Frontier would be even better (and I am contemplating it even though she's still got space in the Regent). Plus the Frontiers have a 9yr lifespan so you wouldn't have to worry about it expiring before your 2nd is done with it.

Kat_Momof3

what I'd do is get either a Graco Nautilus for your oldest and plan to pass it down and buy a dedicated booster when your new baby inherits it...

OR

Buy the new frontier 85 now and buy your baby one just like it when the time comes... that sucker has 20" top slots and makes THE tallest booster on the market... I would just buy one for the younger child when the EFTA is outgrown, rather than pass down the first... because now, with those tall top slots, kids won't be too narrow for using it in booster mode when it is outgrown.

CVette

Thanks for the replies bree, Jhockley and Kat_momof3! Great info.

The four of us took a trip to BRU today. After less than 15 minutes the decision was made. The Frontier is an awesome seat. DS1 fits very well in it with plenty of room to grow. It didn't take any convincing of DW that the Frontier was the way to go. We tried the Nautilus first but the short buckle and tight shoulder width just would not work. We never even sat him in the Generations or the Maestro.

I've read up on the Frontier 85 and it sounds great. Less mesh, better cup holders, taller, higher weights and better belt paths. I'm sold. Now I am just hoping BRU will get the Frontier 85 Canyon in stock before the 20% coupon they just gave us expires on April 8th.

I'm excited to purchase this seat and use it. Like Kat said, I bet we won't even hand it down and just buy a second one for DS2 in a few years. Thanks again!

swtgi1982

Thanks for the replies bree, Jhockley and Kat_momof3! Great info.

The four of us took a trip to BRU today. After less than 15 minutes the decision was made. The Frontier is an awesome seat. DS1 fits very well in it with plenty of room to grow. It didn't take any convincing of DW that the Frontier was the way to go. We tried the Nautilus first but the short buckle and tight shoulder width just would not work. We never even sat him in the Generations or the Maestro.

I've read up on the Frontier 85 and it sounds great. Less mesh, better cup holders, taller, higher weights and better belt paths. I'm sold. Now I am just hoping BRU will get the Frontier 85 Canyon in stock before the 20% coupon they just gave us expires on April 8th.

I'm excited to purchase this seat and use it. Like Kat said, I bet we won't even hand it down and just buy a second one for DS2 in a few years. Thanks again!

the 85 is supposed to have a few in taller top slots too.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
If you want to order the Frontier 85 now Hip Monkey has it for $280 with a 20% off code. I think it is 20THANKS, but if you do a search here you can find the thread. It brings it down to about $224 with free shipping and most likely no tax. So, it might be a tad cheaper than BRU.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... (and bumping to see if the OP sees it)

HipMonkey is a great site that helps support a great cause (KyleDavidMiller Foundation)

and since they have it for slightly cheaper, I'd order it there.

CVette

Oh my. I had heard of HipMonkey but never went to the site until last night. I didn't know it was run by the Miller family. The Foundation website is the reason I decided to find a 65+lb harness weight seat. We will definitely buy from them.

Thanks everyone. And thanks Callansmomma for the coupon code.

MomOfTwins

If you want to order the Frontier 85 now Hip Monkey has it for $280 with a 20% off code. I think it is 20THANKS, but if you do a search here you can find the thread. It brings it down to about $224 with free shipping and most likely no tax. So, it might be a tad cheaper than BRU.

Jumping in here.. because I'm also looking at replacing our current seats with the Frontier85.. At least I'm hoping that is what is going to happen..

anyway.. any idea how long the 20 thanks is good for? I need 2 and found a good price for the Frontier but would rather have the newer version.

thanks,
carol
mother of twins

CVette

If I recall correctly, when I placed my order at HipMonkey the order summary stated the 20thanks discount was good through the end of the year (12/27/10 or thereabout).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC