Radian in '95 Volvo 850 or older cars?/Moved to new thread from the Radian Successful Install Thread

U

Unregistered

I was wondering how well these install on older vehicles. I skimmed the posts and almost every vehicle is 2000 or newer. We drive a 1995 volvo 850 which is a midsize sedan, no latch and nowhere to attach the anchor for the top of the seat. Has anybody successfully installed in a similar car? Thanks.

ADS

thepote

Is the installation that you are planning to do rear-facing or forward-facing?
What is the age and weight of your child?

Maybe a tech with a LATCH manual will chime in with the info about whether your car could be retrofitted with tether anchors.

Generally, the Radian installs fine with a seatbelt.

U

Unregistered

It would be forward facing. My son is about 38lbs and 37 inches tall and he's 29 months. I just thought since there was a thread about successful installations that it maybe wouldn't work in a lot of cars. I would hate to spend $200 on it and have to figure out how to return it or just not be able to use it.

thepote

Forward facing a Radian is usually fairly straightforward. Your best bet may be to order from an online company that has return shipping insurance for a couple bucks more. Then, if it doesn't fit well you just stick it back in the box and send it back no charge. :thumbsup:

TECHS: Top tether retrofit info for this vehicle??

scariestone

The plan was to order it from diapers.com as they do free returns. I've found most carseats are straightforward to install ff but I had heard the radian was a PITA with seatbelts. I don't care if it takes an hour to get it in as long as we CAN get it in securely. That's all I'm concerned with.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
There are 3 anchor points in the rear filler panel/package shelf behind the back seat for retrofitting up to 3 top tether anchors in your '95 Volvo 850 sedan. The 850 sedan's top tether anchor retrofit part number is 9475763, called a "tether hook" by Volvo, and available from Volvo dealerships. There will be some out of pocket expense as Volvo doesn't have a free tether anchor retrofit program, and I'm not seeing any price info. for the part in the LATCH manual to give you an idea of the cost, but you could get a quote from the service/parts department at a Volvo dealership.

scariestone

Thank you very much! I had just given up on a google search trying to find that info. I'll definitely give our closest dealership a call and get a top tether. Though I do have to figure out where the nearest one IS first. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC