Spin off thread-- worst traffic

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Here are a few different articles/ideas about which cities (U.S.) have the worst traffic:

The first list:

1. Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Calif.

2. San Francisco, Oakland, Calif.

3. Washington, D.C.

4. Atlanta

5. Houston

6. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Tex.

7. Chicago.

8. Detroit

9. Riverside, San Bernardino, Calif.

9. Orlando, Fla.

11. San Jose, Calif.

12. San Diego

Second List:
1. Los Angeles, Calif.
2. San Francisco-Oakland, Calif.
3. Washington, DC-Md.-Va.
4. Seattle-Everett, Wash.
5. Houston, Tex.
6. San Jose, Calif.
6. Dallas-Fort Worth, Tex.
8. New York, N.Y.-Northeastern N.J.
9. Atlanta, Ga.
10. Miami-Hialeah, Fla.
11. Chicago, Ill.-Northwestern Ind.
11. Boston, Mass.
11. Denver, Colo.
14. Orlando, Fla.
15. San Bernardino-Riverside, Calif.
16. Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood-Pompano Beach, Fla.
16. Austin, Tex.
18. Phoenix, Ariz.
19. Detroit, Mich.
20. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.
21. San Diego, Calif.
22. Baltimore, Md.
23. Portland-Vancouver, Ore.-Wash.
23. Charlotte, N.C.
25. Louisville, Ky.-Ind.
26. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla.
26. Albuquerque, N.M.
28. Nashville, Tenn.
29. Cincinnati, Ohio-Ky.
29. W. Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Delray Beach, Fla.
29. Indianapolis, Ind.
29. San Antonio, Tex.
29. St. Louis, Mo.-Ill.
34. Sacramento, Calif.
34. Philadelphia, Pa.-N.J.
36. Providence-Pawtucket, R.I.-Mass.
37. Las Vegas, Nev.
38. Columbus, Ohio
39. Tacoma, Wash.
39. Memphis, Tenn.-Ark.-Miss.
41. Milwaukee, Wis.
41. Jacksonville, Fla.
43. Birmingham, Ala.
44. Colorado Springs, Colo.
45. Charleston, S.C.
46. Tucson, Ariz.
46. Norfolk-Newport News-Virginia Beach, Va.
46. Omaha, Neb.-Iowa
49. Fresno, Calif.
49. Honolulu, Hawaii
49. Pensacola, Fla.

ADS

canadianmom2three

Having never spent any significant time driving in above mentioned cities, I am awestruck each year when we spend time in Ft. Myers Florida. I have never in my life seen traffic like thta...it can take 45 minutes between major streets there and it didn't even make the list, so I can only imagine the other cities that did:eek: . So when I got back home after our first trip there I thought this was really funny:

My mom and I pull up to an intersection at one of the many less travelled roads in her semi-rural area. My mom has to wait while not one, but three cars come by. She turns to me and in all seriousness says "this traffic is unbelievable", in a such a frustrated way that I can hardly stop from laughing. To this day the memory of that still makes me HOWL:p .

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Having never spent any significant time driving in above mentioned cities, I am awestruck each year when we spend time in Ft. Myers Florida. I have never in my life seen traffic like thta...it can take 45 minutes between major streets there and it didn't even make the list, so I can only imagine the other cities that did:eek: . So when I got back home after our first trip there I thought this was really funny:

My mom and I pull up to an intersection at one of the many less travelled roads in her semi-rural area. My mom has to wait while not one, but three cars come by. She turns to me and in all seriousness says "this traffic is unbelievable", in a such a frustrated way that I can hardly stop from laughing. To this day the memory of that still makes me HOWL:p .

LOL! That is so funny!!!

The residential street off of which I live has 200 houses. Several traffic studies have been done on the street because of resident complaints about speeding. The most recent traffic study showed that something like 800 cars travel the street in ONE direction during rush hour. That is a neighborhood street!!

southpawboston

i have lived in SD and i don't think the traffic there is that bad, the freeways do get backed up at rush hour, but you can avoid them by driving through other parts of the city, or just avoiding rush hour.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
i have lived in SD and i don't think the traffic there is that bad, the freeways do get backed up at rush hour, but you can avoid them by driving through other parts of the city, or just avoiding rush hour.

I am assuming you mean San Diego, not South Dakota, right? :p

When I first read your post, I saw SD and though "South Dakota." I was thinking, "Of course traffic isn't bad there! What is he talking about?" Then I realized that you probably meant San Diego. :):eek: :cool:

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Man, the 15 south through Escondido (North of San Diego) is the absolute worst traffic I've ever seen in my life. It's a crawl for about 15 miles, and "crawl" is being generous. When I did car seat checks during the week I had to plan for an hour and a half drive to get 30 miles south.

I'd be curious to know how many people travel on the road our house is off of every morning/evening. It's a popular shortcut between the freeway and a highway. It's a nice, twisty two lane road with no shoulders or turn lanes and a wimpy signal at the intersection of another heavily used two lane road.

scatterbunny

I'm so glad I live in my rural little hamlet between the ocean and the mountains, LOL! :p I lived in Portland, OR for awhile (#23 on the second list), and I could not imagine living there now. I'd go crazy, for numerous reasons, but traffic and the SCARY, CRAZY drivers is in the top five.

southpawboston

Man, the 15 south through Escondido (North of San Diego) is the absolute worst traffic I've ever seen in my life. It's a crawl for about 15 miles, and "crawl" is being generous. When I did car seat checks during the week I had to plan for an hour and a half drive to get 30 miles south.

right, the freeways do get bad at rush hour, but SD traffic on city streets never gets that bad. if you can't avoid the freeways at rush hour, you're in trouble.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
right, the freeways do get bad at rush hour, but SD traffic on city streets never gets that bad. if you can't avoid the freeways at rush hour, you're in trouble.

Fortunately, I go in the complete opposite direction for work (I work up in Orange County). There's not much traffic on the 5 at 6am :)

beeman

I don't know about those cities, the 4-way stop in small town Saskatchewan seems to get backed up 1 or 2 cars in rush hour (about the only time anyone is on the road!)
Actually in Saskatoon the traffic lights are really close together and very poorly timed, plus truck traffic has to go right through the city. I know it doesn't compare to bad traffic in the major U.S. cities, but a little work on the lights, and a real "circle drive" would really make a difference on traffic.

broken4u05

DC has some of the wrose traffic there is. My sister moved away to college and because it was cheaper she got a house and in state and all. But anyway the reletor was taking them around and there was a light that they had wait at twice. Like there were so many cars they couldnt all make it through. they guy was like sorry about this traffic it is rush hour. my mom and my sister started cracking up because we are used to waiting through lights 3 and 4 times and going 20 on the high way durning rush hour

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC