Advice needed - 2002 Taurus Wagon

MPhalenS

We are picking up our "new to us" 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon tomorrow. It's the SEL model... leather seats.

I'm going to need to install carseats QUICKLY (obviously I can move them later, etc if need be) because of when we're getting the car and when i have to pick up DS#1 from school.

Although I've installed using LATCH many times, It's been a while and I want to make sure I have it straight... (our current cars don't have LATCH)

Currently I have DS#1 outboard on the passenger side (in my car, which we're replacing) in a GN. He's 41lbs so I was planning on using LATCH in the new car and putting him in the same position. Is this ok? And can someone tell me where the top tether will be found???

DS#2 is my :confused: We have one Roundabout and one Decathalon and I can use either in this car... he's RF (he's 20 months old and MIGHT weight 20lbs... he'll stay RF until he reaches the weight limit of the seats) ...
Should I install him in the middle seat and use the seatbelt (this is where he currently is in my car) or should I install him outboard on the driver's side with LATCH? And which seat should I use? The Roundabout or the Decathalon?

Oh! One more question! Where is the tether location for the rear facing seat ??? Does the Taurus have someplace on the driver's side??? If not, what do you recommend???

TIA!!!!

ADS

Misty-Bug

We are picking up our "new to us" 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon tomorrow. It's the SEL model... leather seats.

I'm going to need to install carseats QUICKLY (obviously I can move them later, etc if need be) because of when we're getting the car and when i have to pick up DS#1 from school.

Although I've installed using LATCH many times, It's been a while and I want to make sure I have it straight... (our current cars don't have LATCH)

Currently I have DS#1 outboard on the passenger side (in my car, which we're replacing) in a GN. He's 41lbs so I was planning on using LATCH in the new car and putting him in the same position. Is this ok? And can someone tell me where the top tether will be found???

DS#2 is my :confused: We have one Roundabout and one Decathalon and I can use either in this car... he's RF (he's 20 months old and MIGHT weight 20lbs... he'll stay RF until he reaches the weight limit of the seats) ...
Should I install him in the middle seat and use the seatbelt (this is where he currently is in my car) or should I install him outboard on the driver's side with LATCH? And which seat should I use? The Roundabout or the Decathalon?

Oh! One more question! Where is the tether location for the rear facing seat ??? Does the Taurus have someplace on the driver's side??? If not, what do you recommend???

TIA!!!!

I would put the older child in the middle because he is FFing. He is not "as" safe as your rear facing child.

I have a 1996 model wagon. The top tether hooks for the FFing are in the hatch. About 4" from the back of the seat.

I would use the center lap belt with the FFing child, super easy install. then put the baby outboard. There are a couple RFing tether points. If you lift the cap over the bottom of the seat belt you may find a hook like this:
Jan408005.jpg

that is a perfect spot when using outboard.

then if you prefer to use the seat track near the center it will look like this (But my tether hook is upside down so make sure yours is pointing down towards the floor)
october26008.jpg

october26020.jpg

this is a three across in my car. I LOVE my car
Feb221004.jpg

you may have to twist down the female end of the buckle. you can do it three full twists. I would use a belt so you are not constantly weighing your child. The LATCH limit is 48lbs.

hope this helps!!

MPhalenS

Thank you!!!

When you say the tether point is in the hatch... you mean the "trunk" area, right? How do you keep stuff back there and have the tether connected?
Can you not have it tethered if you have the 3rd row in use?

I hadn't thought about putting DS#1 in the middle... his school does carpool pickup and he has to be on the passenger side ... I wonder if they'd have an issue with him being in the middle ?

Misty-Bug

yes I mean the trunk area. What do you mean about the third row seating? You know that faces backwards right and really shouldn't be used??

The top tether point is on the floor of the back behind the bench of the second row. I can still load everything in there. I load around it. I also have a cover I can pull over the stuff in the trunk so that it is not a projectile. I have had this car since my almost 4 year old was born and we have been camping, hiking etc with it. It hauls a lot and we just pack around the tether.

If your oldest has to be on that side maybe put baby on the drivers side RFing (you will still find the same anchor points) and then leave the passenger side open so he can slide across?
I am 5'9" and can have a RFing seat behind me no prob.
I am going to see what other pics I have of my car for you. I can take pics of the back tomorrow if you want. But it is not vaccumed.

Misty-Bug

I am a hands on learner and visual as well. So I will get pics tomorrow.

here is a pic of some of the things we put my car through.
aug10013.jpg

Misty-Bug

ok pics.....(remember ignore the messy car.)

as you can see my cover goes in front of the top tether. I put the cover back on AFTER I installed and tightened the tether and it was totally fine!
DSC_0711.jpg

close up of tether spot
DSC_0718.jpg

the tether anchor is the middle part of this metal piece. As you can see it is anchored to the body
DSC_0716.jpg

this part is where the back seat would go. It is really a seat that you can't use. Carseats can not go back there and neither can people. It isn't safe. As you can see I don't have the back seat in and I use it for storage. Mine didn't come with it even though it has the spot and stuff.
half open
DSC_0713.jpg

locked open
DSC_0714.jpg

hope this helps!!

Misty-Bug

Thank you! Thank you!

Okay... ONE more question...
Do you install ANY carseats with LATCH when you have three across?

I don't because I have an older Wagon, there is no latch. But when you want to do a three across it is best to use seatbelts because you will need to get it close to the edge of the seat.

mamakc

dont mean to hijack, but I have radians and an '03 taurus wagon and am having a hard time installing them. Do you have any tips?

Misty-Bug

dont mean to hijack, but I have radians and an '03 taurus wagon and am having a hard time installing them. Do you have any tips?

well can you tell us a few things? How are you installing them? Latch or belt? are they installed RFing or FFing. What I would do is start your own thread then come back here and give the link to it. I can try to help as best as I can. Where are you located?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC