Question about True Fit insert cushions

mimzy

We just installed the True Fit rearfacing in a 2006 Accord for my 19 lb, 30 inch tall daughter. My tall, skinny 11 month old. Anyway, we got it installed without too much trouble, but I can't figure out whether or not we need to leave the cushions in it...with them in the straps just barely fit her in the second slot, and without them she is just lost in it--her shoulders don't touch the sides and there's nothing for her head to rest against to sleep. The issue isn't that it makes her sit up too high in the seat -- I don't mind putting the attached headrest on.

I thought about cutting the two sections apart - the back and butt cushions are attached, of course - and just using the back cushion, but I wasn't sure about doing that, since it would ruin the cushion for use with another child.

Should I just put the separate head pad back in? Is there another solution?

Thanks!

ADS

Twinklefae

Welcome to Car-Seat.org!

At your daughter's weight and size, it's totally up to you whether or not you want to use the inserts. You can just use the head insert or the body pad, or both. They have been tested with the seat, and any combination is safe. If she needs the headrest on with the pad in (she would need it if there is less than 1" of hard shell above her head with it in) then you will need the headrest.

I would caution you against cutting the pad apart though, as it hasn't been tested that way.

armywife12

I wouldn't use them but that is mainly becuase I don't like them unless for a newborn. They caused too much trouble for me. Caleb was around 21-22lbs at 7 months old, right when we got the seat, and he fit much better without them. His shoulder's didn't touch the sides either but I wouldnt' consider him swimming in it either. I have pics of him at that age in it but not on this computer. His head leaned to the side when he slept and all was good. I used our True Fit RF for my niece when she was 4 months old. She was probably about 15lbs or so, I'm not too sure, and she fit much better without the inserts as well. It ended up pushing her forward a bit and was just too bulky for her size. She was above the bottom slots as well so she didn't need them. She fit great at that age without them. Whether you do or not is up to you though but he just can't use them once he reaches 22lbs. I agree with the pp about cutting them. I certainly wouldn't do that

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC