Installed a seat for someone today

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
It was at a car dealership... I was test-driving an Odyssey. When we were pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed two employees trying to install a MA in a Honda Pilot. When we returned, they were still at it. After going inside with the salesman, chatting, then returning to my car, I noticed they were STILL working on the MA. So I walked over, stated that I was CPS tech, and then after they looked blankly at me, I reworded it to say that I was a carseat tech and did they need any help. They both jumped back from the Pilot and said "Please! We don't know what we're doing!" So I walked over and this is what I found:

- both lower anchors and seatbelt were used
- tether was used but both straps routed around one side of headrest rather than one on each side (which would've fit in this situation)
- all three of the above (lower anchor straps, belts, and top tethers) were loose
- the lower anchor straps had not been switched to the opposite sides to install FF rather than RF (they were upside down and twisted)
- MA was tilted forward at an angle and resting on the front edge of the base b/c the headrest was pushing it forward

So I did the following:
- took the headrest off and explained that the child seat should fit snugly in the seat of the car, like a person (flat against both the bottom and the back of the seat)
- explained that you should always use only the lower anchors or the seatbelts, but always use the top tether if the seat has one (I commented that while it may *seem* safer to use both lower anchors and the belt, until it's tested and the manufacturers say it's okay, then it's not advised)
- explained that to use the LATCH on the MA, the straps had to be reversed to the other side for FF (I decided to leave that for the parents to worry about - told the mom to look in the manual)
- installed it in less than a minute using the seatbelt
- when it was still a little loose, then I got in and put my knee it, getting it really snug (the sales people were like "ooh" and "ahhh")
- tightened the tether

The mom didn't really seem to care - she wasn't even watching... :rolleyes: ... I kept addressing her rather than the employees but she just smiled and kept transferring things from her old car to the new one. A third employee did show up and said he had gone through "the class" - I never did get a chance to ask him which class - he left before I finished.

My guess is that when business is slow, another employee demonstrates for new folks how to do it and that's about it...? Or perhaps they go through a short seminar or something? After leaving, I was kinda pissed that they attempted to install it and then admitted that they had no idea what they were doing.

To the other techs out there - was that okay for me to volunteer to help? I just felt awkward with it being my first time helping someone alone, and it was unsolicited. But I did do a fine job and had to get in my car and leave before I burst with pride :D (when I told DH that later, he fell over with laughter...:p )

Last edited:
ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Oh, another thing! Can you believe this?!? The shoulder belt was extremely loose and the sales employees said that they couldn't get the car seat tight with the belt (switchable ELR). So when I was installing it, I showed them how to pull it out all the way and then let it back in so that it would stay locked. They were like "Oh, we didn't know it did that! Cool!" :confused:

They sell these things - they should know this stuff... :rolleyes:

JaRylan

Maria,
Congratulations on your first intervention! It would have been nice if the mom had been interested...I mean you were doing this for her child...but cool that you seemed to have the attention of the people who work there! Maybe you could leave them a card in case they need you again.

scatterbunny

Sounds like mom had the viewpoint that everyone there was there to serve her, since she just bought a new vehicle and all. :rolleyes:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Sounds like mom had the viewpoint that everyone there was there to serve her, since she just bought a new vehicle and all. :rolleyes:

Yes, and it was nice vehicle at that - beautiful color, beautiful leather seats... drool, drool...:p And, a beautiful MA cover! It looked like a brand new Ashley. Ya know, her child wasn't with her and I didn't even ask how old she was - duh. I guess since it was unsolicited help, I just reinstalled what had already been installed incorrectly... :rolleyes:

So do you other techs have cards? I hadn't thought of that...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sounds like you did fine :). I've had people at dealerships who have NO idea that 'cpstech' is any kind of 'job'...and had them argue that all kind of different bars and knobs are top tether anchors...it's scary!
I bet if you asked them about the stereo or horsepower, they'd know every last detail :p.

Yeah, sometimes it's a-ok to jump in and make a kid safer, even if no one knows or cares that you are.

I've had cards made free at Vistaprint :)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Yes, and it was nice vehicle at that - beautiful color, beautiful leather seats... drool, drool...:p And, a beautiful MA cover! It looked like a brand new Ashley. Ya know, her child wasn't with her and I didn't even ask how old she was - duh. I guess since it was unsolicited help, I just reinstalled what had already been installed incorrectly... :rolleyes:

So do you other techs have cards? I hadn't thought of that...

Way to Go! :)

One other tidbit for "after the fact" - you know, good ol' hindsight: Pull out the Vehicle and Seat Manual and REFER to them, even if you know what you're doing. People don't seem to realize there is valuable info in them.

I'm surprised the dealership employees would even touch it - think of the liability they just assumed.

I'm betting mom was still gaga about her car purchase. I'd also be curious to know how the seat was installed in the old car. . .I bet it wasn't pretty.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Way to Go! :) I'd also be curious to know how the seat was installed in the old car. . .I bet it wasn't pretty.

The employees said that the woman's DH had it "good and tight" using both the LATCH and the seatbelt. That's why I made it a point to tell her not to use both and showing her how snug it was with just the belt. I'm thinking that one of the reasons she wasn't paying attention is that her DH is going to redo it at home anyway...:rolleyes: (He wasn't with her).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC