Question Need help with seating in Honda Odessey

U

Unregistered

I am due with #5 in about 6 weeks. I need help to figure out the best arrangement for seating my children in our van. I have an 11 y.o., 8 y.o., 5 y.o., (almost 6, tall for her age), and 2 y.o. (almost 3, also tall, he weighs 34 lbs.).

The 11 y.o. is almost as big as me, and sits comfortably in just the seat belt. The 8 y.o. is legal without a booster, but definitely fits better with a booster. The 5 y.o. is in a high-back booster, and the 2 y.o. is still in a harnessed seat. I need to buy another infant seat as well as a new seat for the 2 y.o. (am leaning toward the radian 65 or 80 for him). I am leaning toward either the chicco keyfit or graco snugride for the infant, but am open to other options, as I am hoping to get the maximum amount of use from the seat.

I would, ideally, like to put one harnessed child in the third row middle, but can't figure out how to do that with two in boosters. Aaaaahhhh!! I just need some help! Thanks!

ADS
U

Unregistered

It is an '07, 8 passenger. I would rather not use the optional middle seat in the second row, simply for the ease of getting 5 kids into and out of the van.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What about?
2nd row- infant seat, rf radian, oldest in no booster
3rd row - 2 boosters outboard

Or
2nd row- infant seat and booster
3rd row- rf radian, oldest, booster

ntrenary

Maybe you can use the middle jump seat and have the oldest sit on the 40 split in the back. Then you can fold down the 40 split to load/unload through the back.

Maedze

I would take out/fold down one of the outboard middle row seats. Put your 8 year old outboard in the THIRD row, 11 year old middle in the third row, and 5 year old boostered outboard the other side third row.

In the middle row I'd put your two year old rear facing in the Radian and the newborn rear facing in the jump seat, leaving plenty of room for kids to get in and out of the third row.

If you put your 11 year old in the middle of the third row, you don't have to worry so much about two boosters bumping up against each other. :)

U

Unregistered

I would take out/fold down one of the outboard middle row seats. Put your 8 year old outboard in the THIRD row, 11 year old middle in the third row, and 5 year old boostered outboard the other side third row.

In the middle row I'd put your two year old rear facing in the Radian and the newborn rear facing in the jump seat, leaving plenty of room for kids to get in and out of the third row.

If you put your 11 year old in the middle of the third row, you don't have to worry so much about two boosters bumping up against each other. :)

I had initially thought of doing this, except 11 y.o. has sensory issues, and reaaaaalllly HATES being in that middle seat. That's why I was thinking of doing what another PP said:

2nd row: infant seat and booster
3rd row: booster, RFing radian, 11 y.o.

Plus, the older two do NOT like sitting next to each other. They tend to bicker and fight, which makes travel for any distance extremely unpleasant for all of us. Part of that goes back to the oldest's sensory stuff, which makes it hard for him to cooperate.

I had not thought of taking out one of the 2nd row seats for easier access to the back. I will run that by DH and see what he thinks. Thank you ALL for your input, it is super helpful!

U

Unregistered

The other issue is with having a someone sit in the middle seats (2nd or 3rd row) is the way the seatbelt comes out of the ceiling. It bothers *me* to sit there buckled, because of how the belt come across my neck. I *KNOW* it would bother my 11 y.o. to the point that it would become a HUGE battle every.single.time we went somewhere to have him buckle up. I was really hoping to be able to put one of the harnessed children (either infant or radian) in those spots so as not to have to deal with it.

I would like to take advantage of the BRU trade-in to get my infant seat, so hopefully, I'll figure it out this week. Our local BRU has the chicco keyfit and snugride 35 in stock, so I will probably get one of those seats for the baby. I am going to order the radian online, since BRU doesn't carry it.

I keep hoping that a solution will magically come to me, but so far, I haven't found it. Thank you for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC