Car bumpers and safety.

remken

I am having an argument with someone who is saying that bumpers offer no safety advantage on a car versus not having any. That they are basically only for looks since they are made to crumble at 5mph. So are they right?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Here's what NHTSA has to say about bumpers:
2) What is the purpose of bumpers?

The car bumper is designed to prevent or reduce physical damage to the front and rear ends of passenger motor vehicles in low-speed collisions. Automobile bumpers are not typically designed to be structural components that would significantly contribute to vehicle crashworthiness or occupant protection during front or rear collisions. It is not a safety feature intended to prevent or mitigate injury severity to occupants in the passenger cars. Bumpers are designed to protect the hood, trunk, grille, fuel, exhaust and cooling system as well as safety related equipment such as parking lights, headlamps and taillights in low speed collisions.
Quote obtained from this NHTSA FAQ http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/Problems/studies/Bumper/Index.html

And I believe I've read that automotive engineers are designing bumper (and hoods and other parts of vehicles) to absorb energy in a such a way that will produce less injury to a pedestrian struck by a vehicle. So, bumpers on some newer vehicles may also serve that purpose as well.

remken

What if it was a car made in 1978? Would that make a difference? I'm thinking a car made back then could use all the help safety wise that it could get.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What if it was a car made in 1978? Would that make a difference? I'm thinking a car made back then could use all the help safety wise that it could get.
I found this:
Canada and the United States introduced safety standards for bumpers in the early 1970’s. When the Canadian and the United States safety standards were originally introduced, they were harmonized with a test speed of 5 mph (8 km/h) for front and rear impacts and 3 mph (4.8 km/h) for corner impact tests.

I got it from this Government of Canada web site http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2008/2008-06-25/html/sor-dors199-eng.html and there's actually lots of cool info in the article.

But, it seems there wasn't much difference of the bumper purpose in the 70's, other than that bumpers were much harder and more likely to injure a pedestrian.

beeman

A solid steel pipe as a bumper will absorb more energy than 2 frame rails hanging out each end of the vehicle :twocents: . A larger surface area will help absorb energy more evenly, and allow the frame to crumple properly. Besides, if on bumperless vehicle rear ends another bumperless vehicle, there would be a high risk of a frame rail penetrating the gas tank, and acting as a possible source of spark and ignition. Even if they are crumpled, they are still a steel barrier (yes there is metal under the plastic). Plus any energy absorbed by the bumper is energy not absorbed by the passengers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC