Cosco Scenera installation question

Lillian

I tried to install my Scenera last night in my 2001 Pathfinder with leather seats and I could not get a tight install. I am installing it rear facing, on the passangers side (not in the middle, due to the bump from the split bench seat). In my car I have a Britax Marathon and I can always get a tight install in there. I put all my weight in the seat and pulled the belt as much as I could. I also hand my husband pull the belt too and we still couldnt get it as tight as my Britax. The seat moves more than 2 inches to the side if we really put force on it and push it hard. So, the inch rule...is it suppose to be if I put hard porce on it or if I put light force on it? Any suggestions on how to get a tighter install?

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
what kinda seat belts do you have??? Do they lock by pulling them all the way out? or do they lock at the latch plate (part that's on the seat belt)???

Lillian

what kinda seat belts do you have??? Do they lock by pulling them all the way out? or do they lock at the latch plate (part that's on the seat belt)???

The seat belt lock when you pull them all the way out. Also, we are having to twist the buckle part of the belt. How many times can you safely twist full that part?

scatterbunny

Three full twists is the maximum allowed.

Is the belt pulling the seat "up" or tilting it at all? That sometimes happens with those kinds of belts and rear-facing seats.

If that's not the problem and it's just general looseness, I'm not sure what to say to help.

Lillian

Yes, the belt is pulling the seat up making it tilt to the side. Thats not what is bothering me so much, its the fact that I am not getting a tight install.

scatterbunny

You can use a locking clip instead of engaging the vehicle belt's own locking mechanism, that will take care of the tilting. It may or may not help with the install tightness.

Have you tried pushing the front seats all the way forward and standing behind the carseat, pushing down and back towards the vehicle seat at the same time, while someone else tightens the belt? I have found that standing behind/leaning on top of a rear-facing seat helps!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
if it's pulling up to one side and tiliting you will need to use the locking clip that should have came with the car seat... have you used one before?

southpawboston

by chance, do the pathfinder's rear seats recline? if they do, you can recline them a bit, get as tight an install as you can, then un-recline them to push up against the carseat, thus providing even more tension.

scatterbunny

by chance, do the pathfinder's rear seats recline? if they do, you can recline them a bit, get as tight an install as you can, then un-recline them to push up against the carseat, thus providing even more tension.

Yes, that's another great trick. It helps immensely with forward-facing seats, I hadn't even thought about it for rear-facing seats.

CrabbyBunchX3

You can use a locking clip instead of engaging the vehicle belt's own locking mechanism, that will take care of the tilting. It may or may not help with the install tightness.

Have you tried pushing the front seats all the way forward and standing behind the carseat, pushing down and back towards the vehicle seat at the same time, while someone else tightens the belt? I have found that standing behind/leaning on top of a rear-facing seat helps!

If you do use the locking clip, install the seat tightly without it, then when you release the seatbelt to install the locking clip, take just a little more slack out of the seat belt(then place your clip). You will probably need a good bit of muscle to get the belt buckled again, but the seat should be in there really tight.
HTH

scatterbunny

Yes, good point, Jessica! I had to really learn how to use a locking clip. They frustrated me for a long time, but by doing what you said (shortening the belt up a smidge after getting it to the right length, then putting the locking clip on), it almost always works perfectly. It does take a bit more muscle to buckle the belt, but then it is rock solid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC