Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Cosco Scenera installation question

I tried to install my Scenera last night in my 2001 Pathfinder with leather seats and I could not get a tight install. I am installing it rear facing, on the passangers side (not in the middle, due to the bump from the split bench seat). In my car I have a Britax Marathon and I can always get a tight install in there. I put all my weight in the seat and pulled the belt as much as I could. I also hand my husband pull the belt too and we still couldnt get it as tight as my Britax. The seat moves more than 2 inches to the side if we really put force on it and push it hard. So, the inch rule...is it suppose to be if I put hard porce on it or if I put light force on it? Any suggestions on how to get a tighter install?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Cosco Scenera installation question

what kinda seat belts do you have??? Do they lock by pulling them all the way out? or do they lock at the latch plate (part that's on the seat belt)???
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

There are some installation videos here: http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.ht...20with%20LATCH

Hopefully someone familiar with that vehicle+seat combo can help soon.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Quote Originally Posted by becca011906 View Post
    what kinda seat belts do you have??? Do they lock by pulling them all the way out? or do they lock at the latch plate (part that's on the seat belt)???

The seat belt lock when you pull them all the way out. Also, we are having to twist the buckle part of the belt. How many times can you safely twist full that part?

CPS Technician

you can safely twist the seat belt stalk of the buckle up to three full twists.

Three full twists is the maximum allowed.

Is the belt pulling the seat "up" or tilting it at all? That sometimes happens with those kinds of belts and rear-facing seats.

If that's not the problem and it's just general looseness, I'm not sure what to say to help.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Yes, the belt is pulling the seat up making it tilt to the side. Thats not what is bothering me so much, its the fact that I am not getting a tight install.

You can use a locking clip instead of engaging the vehicle belt's own locking mechanism, that will take care of the tilting. It may or may not help with the install tightness.

Have you tried pushing the front seats all the way forward and standing behind the carseat, pushing down and back towards the vehicle seat at the same time, while someone else tightens the belt? I have found that standing behind/leaning on top of a rear-facing seat helps!
    ~Jenny

CPS Technician

if it's pulling up to one side and tiliting you will need to use the locking clip that should have came with the car seat... have you used one before?

Carseat Crazy

Hey Lillian...its me Here is a thread where I asked about the recline for Carson's seat.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=11454

Cathy

CPS Fanatic

by chance, do the pathfinder's rear seats recline? if they do, you can recline them a bit, get as tight an install as you can, then un-recline them to push up against the carseat, thus providing even more tension.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    by chance, do the pathfinder's rear seats recline? if they do, you can recline them a bit, get as tight an install as you can, then un-recline them to push up against the carseat, thus providing even more tension.
    Yes, that's another great trick. It helps immensely with forward-facing seats, I hadn't even thought about it for rear-facing seats.
    ~Jenny

Senior Community Member CrabbyBunchX3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    You can use a locking clip instead of engaging the vehicle belt's own locking mechanism, that will take care of the tilting. It may or may not help with the install tightness.

Have you tried pushing the front seats all the way forward and standing behind the carseat, pushing down and back towards the vehicle seat at the same time, while someone else tightens the belt? I have found that standing behind/leaning on top of a rear-facing seat helps!
    If you do use the locking clip, install the seat tightly without it, then when you release the seatbelt to install the locking clip, take just a little more slack out of the seat belt(then place your clip). You will probably need a good bit of muscle to get the belt buckled again, but the seat should be in there really tight.
    HTH
    Mama to 3 great kids
    DD1 [2004] 47lbs, SK Monterey
    DS [2005] 40.9lbs, FF Cougar Regent
    DD2 [2007] 40.7lbs, FF Graco Nautilus
    Wishing someone would pass the water

Yes, good point, Jessica! I had to really learn how to use a locking clip. They frustrated me for a long time, but by doing what you said (shortening the belt up a smidge after getting it to the right length, then putting the locking clip on), it almost always works perfectly. It does take a bit more muscle to buckle the belt, but then it is rock solid.
    ~Jenny