Who says kids don't like RFing longer?

skipspin

My DD has never minded being RFing. She's been FFing since about 32 lb at age 2.5. Well, today, I had the Wizard in my car (it's been in the bedroom waiting for baby) RFing because I watched a friend's baby for two days.

I was actually checking someones seat, and DD was next to me waiting in the car. (Don't panic: Keys out, windows down, it was 70' and I could see/hear her the whole time!) I came to buckle her in her seat and she was sitting in the RFing WZ, feet propped up on the vehicle seatback listening to her MP3 player. We almost had a fit because I wouldn't buckle her and drive home that way :-( Last time I checked she was 35.5 lbs, so I couldn't in good concience let her, but man, I wanted to!

BTW, it was a great demo for the expecting mom to keep her baby RFing for a long time, which, thankfully, she was already planning to do!

Anyone getting rid of a seat from Sweden??? LOL.

ADS

scatterbunny

Great story! :) I think Hayley would LOVE to rear-face now, if she could. I didn't know any better and turned her FF at 13 months. :(

Ali

Great story! I think kids are probably MORE comfortable RF too! I know I hate when my feet don't have something to rest on!

canadianmom2three

You are so right - when I found out about the benefits of rfing DS was almost 3 yo, hovering around 33-35 lbs and had been ff for quite some time. I turned his seat around just to see if it was really possible (this was long before this board, and I had never ever seen any pics or kids rf that big irl, and honestly couldn't believe it would work) Not only was it very possible, but he LOVED it, loved how he could look back at the big kids, loved how his legs were so 'cozy', just loved everything about it. He was so mad when I turned him back shortly after, he was just too heavy, and I found out that rf at that weight isn't nearly so safe when you are doing it in an untetherable unbraceable alpha omega:eek: I only wish I had known sooner, I really thought I was a safe parent, but I had no idea about the benefits of rfing past one year - I have learned so much since then.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You are so right - when I found out about the benefits of rfing DS was almost 3 yo, hovering around 33-35 lbs and had been ff for quite some time. I turned his seat around just to see if it was really possible (this was long before this board, and I had never ever seen any pics or kids rf that big irl, and honestly couldn't believe it would work) Not only was it very possible, but he LOVED it, loved how he could look back at the big kids, loved how his legs were so 'cozy', just loved everything about it. He was so mad when I turned him back shortly after, he was just too heavy, and I found out that rf at that weight isn't nearly so safe when you are doing it in an untetherable unbraceable alpha omega:eek: I only wish I had known sooner, I really thought I was a safe parent, but I had no idea about the benefits of rfing past one year - I have learned so much since then.

The AO CAN be braced, it's not just Britaxes that can, and only Evenflos that can't :). And rearfacing unbraced and untethered is still safer than forward facing, no question about that (of course, over the weight limit is over the weight limit, can't deny that!)

:)

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I am dreading turning my dd FF! She loves RF. She's 2 1/2 and after turning her FF at 20 months, I turned her back around at 23 months and she kept saying "it's so comfy, mom!" She is much happier in the car RF. She's 32.5 pounds right now and in a Scenera...I'm hoping she gains veeeeery slowly.

Dillipop

When we were first trying out the safeseat in my car before the baby was born, DS climbed in and tried it out. He was obviously too big, but he wanted to see.

Also, when we took his marathon and gave it to the baby, he was not happy. For a few rides, he would scramble in before we could get the baby in and wouldn't move until we physically removed him while screaming. It's moot now, though since we have given him the marathon back.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Britax recommended bracing to me when kiddo was near the RF limit -- Dorel allows it, but venflo does not....

I used to love some of the reactions I got to Leila being RF for so long ;) Especially when we both explained that FF actually hurt her back: from leg numbness, etc. She was excited to turn FF, but also sad (it was bittersweet for the both of us, LOL)

canadianmom2three

The AO CAN be braced, it's not just Britaxes that can, and only Evenflos that can't :). And rearfacing unbraced and untethered is still safer than forward facing, no question about that (of course, over the weight limit is over the weight limit, can't deny that!)

:)
I learn something new each day - I had no idea the AO could be braced...it is a little late for me(ok really late), but I did give the seat to a neighbour who is using it rf right now, and I will let her know. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but you would make my day if you tell me it can be tethered too...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC