recommendations for my 4-yr old

toddlertime

Hi
I have to replace my Britax Roundabout as it is 6 years old. I have been using it for my 4-year old daughter (it was a hand me down from her older sister). My daughter is on the small side: height 36 inches; weight 30 lbs.) I could buy another Britax Regent which is what my older daughter (age 6) now uses but she seems a bit small for that. Is there something now quite as large as the Regent that might work here?

Another option is to switch my older daughter to a booster seat which she wants and use her Regent with my younger daughter but should I try to keep her in the five point harness as long as possible?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

ADS

Maedze

Welcome back to C-S.org :) :p

Your 4 year old is quite petite, so the car seat world is your oyster!

Economically speaking, the most sensible thing to do would be to pass the Regent down to your 4 year old and purchase a dedicated belt positioning booster for your six year.

Most 6 year olds are ready for the responsibility of a booster, but only you as the parent knows if it's true for your six year old. If you think she can be trusted to sit upright, mind the belt, and not turn around at an unexpected noise, or bend over to pick up a dropped item, 100% of the time, then she's ready for a booster. If you give us her weight and height, we can make some suggestions.

If you feel that your six year old isn't there quite yet and just needs more harnessed time, I'd look for a combination seat for your four year old, that will keep her harnessed for a while longer and then becomes a good booster.

The Evenflo Maestro harnesses to 50 pounds, has 18" top slots (so will keep your daughter harnessed for multiple years considering that's half her overall current height!), and then converts to a moderately decent belt positioning booster. It will be outgrown pretty early as a high back booster, although, considering your child's diminutive overall height, she may be 8 or so by the time she outgrows it, and would be fine in it a backless booster. The Maestro is economical at 80 dollars.

If you don't mind spending more money, I'd recommend the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier. They both have 18" top slots, 65 and 80 pound limits on the harness respectively (obviously, you don't 'need' the 80 pound limit), and then convert to very good high back boosters. The Frontier will last as a high back booster until your child is ready to sit in a belt alone. The Nautilus will be outgrown as a high back somewhat earlier than that, but also converts to a very nice backless booster. They retail for 130-180 and 270, respectively.

Let us know if you want more info :)

toddlertime

Thanks for the recommendations for my 4-year-old. I may pass down the Regent to her - in that case, I would like a recommendation on a belt positioning booster for my 6 year old. She is about 51 inches tall and about 53 lbs and will be 7 in a couple of months. Incidentally I had purchased a recaro vivo booster for her to use when she goes in a friend's car but I have two concerns and I have been unsuccessful getting anyone at recaro customer service to return my calls. After I attched the back to the seat, the back continues to move back and forth -- it's not stationary. Is that the way it's supposed to be? The other concern is that when the seat belt is threaded through the positions, sometimes the seat belt locks up. My concern is that the seat belt would be too tight and possibly injure her in an accident. Am I doing something wrong here? In any event, if you have a recommendation for something else, I'll probably replace it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC