stow n go

broken4u05

Are the stow n go vans safe? like can you put things in there and not have them come out in a crash? I am kinda looking around for vans for when i get on and i would really like the stow n go to put my books in and also to have one seat down and have it there if i need it instead of it being in a garage. But then i was also thinking about the van that i have move one seat over to the middle a little more so i can fit in the back easier. But i guess my question is if anyone has the stow n go do you like it and are they safe.

ADS

lovinwaves

I dont' have a stow 'n go van, but I have heard some downsides of them. I heard you don't have as big of gas tank, and something else but I can't remember it. Now I believe "Stow 'n Go" is a trademark of Dodge/Chrysler only. Other minivans have disappearing third row seats as well, but I believe Dodge/Chrysler are the only ones that allow disappearing *second* row seats.

However, on the Honda Minivan you have what's called a "Lazy Susan". This thing is AWESOME! It is a "under the van" compartmental storage that is easy accessible for passengers(front & rear). I cannot make my second row captains chairs disappear, but to be honest I probably would never need them to anyways. If for some reason we "were" needing that extra space then they very easily detach from the van and we can set them in our garage until we get back. You would be surpised just how much space there is in the back of a minivan when the third row is down. I just can't imagine us needing to ever put something back there that would take up so much space that we would need to remove our second row. DH and I have carried numerous large objects in our van, and have never needed the second row to "disappear". Now the seats *are* heavy, but not that big of a deal with help. I like the idea of Stow 'N Go if you are frequently needing that extra space in your second row, but honestly I ALWAYS have my carseats installed, so it wasn't a biggie for us. I really like the lazy susan idea in our Odyssey. I use it to store diapers, extra clothes, snacks, etc..... It can also be locked, and used to put your "eight stow away seat" in.

Here is a photo of the lazy susan....

large18.jpg
large19.jpg

And here is a photo of the Third Row "Magic Seat". It is a 40/60 split that disappears and folds flat. I use mine *ALOT*.

large7.jpg

lovinwaves

I wanted to add on the "Stow 'N Go"....

This feature debuted in 2005 on select Dodge/Chrysler minivan models. So any used vans before 2005 will not have this feature. Something to keep in mind when you are shopping around. Also since these seats fold down into the van they are going to be smaller and use a thinner denser foam, which shouldn't be a problem if you prodimently have carseats installed there. I have heard you can buy compartments and insulated coolers that will fit in the wells when your seats are not in there. There are suppose to be updated versions of the stow n go on the 2007 and 2008 models also. Here are some photos of the stow n go system on the Dodge/Chrysler minivan....

stowngo1.jpg.jpg

stowngo2.jpg.jpg

stowngo3.jpg.jpg

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I also haven't heard of any safety issues with the stow and go seating, only some complaints about thinner padding than on non-stowable seats.

broken4u05

Well i know that i will need seats for4 or 5 children so i think i might just get an odyssey where you can move the seat over so i can get into the back. Do you have the 8th seat? if anyone does can a car seat go there? i was thinking it was too small to and just to take that out and move the other chair over to get into the back. Kinda thinking out loud alittle. I will not be buying for another year or 2 but because i will most likly be buying used due to money i will be looking for things kinda coming out now or even alittle before now. For anyone that has kids in the back and seats in the frount how hard it is to get in and out?

lovinwaves

Well i know that i will need seats for4 or 5 children so i think i might just get an odyssey where you can move the seat over so i can get into the back. Do you have the 8th seat? if anyone does can a car seat go there? i was thinking it was too small to and just to take that out and move the other chair over to get into the back. Kinda thinking out loud alittle. I will not be buying for another year or 2 but because i will most likly be buying used due to money i will be looking for things kinda coming out now or even alittle before now. For anyone that has kids in the back and seats in the frount how hard it is to get in and out?

I have the '05 Odyssey which is the first year for the new redesign. Anything prior I don't have any knowledge of the seating positions and how they work exactly.

The eighth seat is primarily for young children or a child in a booster seat (if it will fit between two convertibles). It is not safe for an adult because the headrest is not tall enough. I can however fit in that seat and buckle myself in between two Marathon's (just to let you know how big it is).

If you are going to be transporting 4 children full time then an Odyssey is fine, but 5 may make it a bit harder. I would then suggest a Toyota Sienna which has 3 "true" second row captains chairs. Even then though you may have access problems to the rear. Hmmmm....... both vans would probably work though......

If you have a rear-facing seat or booster on an outboard second row chair then sliding that chair forward and gaining access to the back wouldn't be an issue. I recently had four convertibles installed in my van. I removed the eighth seat and slid the passenger second row seat over. Then I was able to hop in the third row, sit between the two convertibles and install each child very easily. There are many configurations, but it really depends on the type of carseat you are using and how exactly it is installed.

Don't forget all of the highly rated safety vans on the market:

Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna
Kia Sedona
Nissan Quest
Hyundai Entourage

broken4u05

Well it would not be full time for all of them. Let me see my godchildren will be 3, 5, and 6 i guess and i have a feeling the 6 year old will be in a booster because he is big but if there is a harnessed seat he can fit in i will get it. They are only in my car about every other week or once a week now but i like haveing the seats in my car. Right now they are in a radian for the oldest one who is 4 and the now 3 and 1 year old sare comfortsports that the twins i do have in my car almost every day use. And i know the 1 year old will still share but i am not sure my 3 year old will fit in a harnessed in 2 years but he is kinda small so i think he will. But ok if that didnt make since here is the easy thing. The twins and my godchildren and never in my car at the same time so they share if they both fit in the seat. Or i would have to get a new seat for them and i would have more seats in my car. So that is why i say 4 or 5. O yeah and than my own witch would be why i need something bigger. I think i am going to get the 8 seater sienna or oddesy

Edited
Here is how it would go:
Infant seat in 2nd row than the seat for my would be 6 year old godson. (he would not be in the car as much but i like to have him safe)
3rd row 2 seats for the twins who will be about 3 they will be in my car every day i work than my goddaughter will share one of the seats as she is 2 weeks younger than them and never in the car at the same time. And than my 5 year old at the time may need his own seat if he no longer is able to share with the other twins seat but if i had a regent they both would fit (the 3 and the 5 year old) So i think i can get away with 4 seats and one might be a booster depending on how much he grows.
Does that make sense?

Last edited:

mamato2

I'm so glad the OP asked her question. I have never heard of (let alone seen -great photos Lovinwaves!) under the 'floor' storage. That is SO cool. I would LOVE something like that. No wonder some folks have such tidy vans!
Our vehicles are so basic, and two of them so old, that the cup holders and cd player in our Sienna are luxury to us!!!! :rolleyes:
Live and learn! (And drool....)
C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC