Kids in car seats in the rain

ADS

TiaxMarie

My DD is still RF'ing center, so I just sit in the seat next to her to buckle her in. Not sure what I'll do when I have more than one kid to buckle and they are outboard.

ks1978

Okay I am way too lucky in this area, I hand my youngest over to my oldest and she puts her in for me! She knows where her straps need to be and how tight they need to be, in fact, she schools my husband on it if she doesn't think it is tight enough....

I used to just hold the umbrella, then try to balance it on the open door while buckling in. IT's hard!!

christineka

The kids step up into the van. 5 yo sits sideways in ds2's seat, removes her shoes and gets into her (middle) seat. I sit ds2 sideways in his seat, remove his shoes, then sit him right and buckle him up. If I can I will carry ds.

I also sometimes step up into the van and close the door while buckling. I try to keep only one door open at a time. I'll set the baby in her seat, go round to ds2, then go back to baby. Sometimes I even buckle kids from the front seat, or I go to the third row with the doors closed because it is easier to buckle the rfing middle row from the third.

karlatta

I have a Sienna, and I've taken out one of the captain's chairs so that we can all pile in from one side, shut the door, and stay dry while I put everyone in their seats.

Maggie

I have one of the captain's chairs out. So we all pile in that side, close the door behind us. I can climb up to my driver's seat without having to get back outside.

steph_s

I have a car and no van with 2 rf and 1 ff child in the rear. I just sort of toss all the kids into their seats, fold the stroller and toss it into the trunk and then jump into the front seat. I am able to lean over the middle seat to buckle everyone up. The child in the middle gives me funny looks (poor baby she is new to this chaos her parents don't even own a vehicle and used the city buses to get around) my ff child can do his own buckle and my one rf child can get his straps on and at least his chest clip hooked on his own. Had to do this yesterday it was raining really hard!

menfusse

If my brain is functioning enough to remember to have an umbrella, I just balance the umbrella over the open car door and roof, then stand under it to do the buckling. Otherwise...I just get mighty darn wet.

Mom2three

If I'm not in my shop at home I get rained on. I drive a Trailblazer EXT and have 2 RFing seats, both outboard middle row. Unless I want to crawl over seats, I'm not getting in. Depending on where DDs seat is I can reach back from the front to buckle her. If DDs seat is still in the third row from the weekend I can flip the passenger OB seat and climb in with her. Baby just gets set into the base for his KF for right now.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
In our Sienna, everyone gets in through the power sliding door and then I help with buckling as needed and walk up to the driver's seat. As long as the fold down console tray is folded down between the front seats, there's room for me to do that as long as I remember to duck to avoid smacking my head on the rear entertainment system console above the second row center area. That hurts when I forget to duck. :eek: In our Scion xB, the kids climb in through a back door and I get in the front seat through the front driver's door. Then I reach back between the front seats to help them buckle up (long arms in a compact car make this workable, lol). I tend to do this when it's bitterly cold or snowing, too, not just in the rain.

shorty393

I just have the one kiddo right now so I just run to the car with him and hop in the back then put him in his seat from there. Either myself or dh ride in back with him usually anyway.

melniemi

I just get wet. Every seat in my van has a carseat/kid in it, so no other choice. I probably buckle them faster in the rain, tho:p

monstah

If my brain is functioning enough to remember to have an umbrella, I just balance the umbrella over the open car door and roof, then stand under it to do the buckling. Otherwise...I just get mighty darn wet.

Exactly what I do.
I usually just stand in the rain unless it is pouring buckets. I don't mind getting wet. I have 3 in a row so it's unavoidable.

xursusmaritimusx

I think i must be a hardcore northwesterner because i just stand in the rain lol

i mean i usually have my columbia jacket on which is waterproof but thats it!

aeormsby

I also balance the umbrella between the roof & the door if I have it with me. It doesn't rain here often so I don't always have an umbrella. Or I'll just have my rainjacket with hood and buckle as fast as I can. DD is FF and can get her self mostly buckled if she's feeling motivated and then I can tighten from the front seat.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I too do the door/roof balancing act with the umbrella. :eek:

I normally pass dd's seat over ds's seat and set it in it's base. If for some reason dd's seat is in the car, I just sit beside her and buckle her in. Where I park in the driveway also acts as a riverbed when it is raining even moderately since it is draining water from the backyard... yeah, I got rainboots this year. :whistle:

noahsmom24

ds is in the middle so I just place him in the seat, Jump in and lean my back/butt on the back of the drivers seat to buckle him in. Either that, Or I just get wet. My hair is usually up anyway because I hate having it down because when I'm moving or picking up ds it always finds a way to pull ugh.

I've never in my life used an umbrella . . . lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC