Seatbelt question- Ford

mommy-medic

1997 Ford Econoline 12 passenger van- "clubwagon"

Coworker says that two seatbelts need replacing- was quoted almost $500 and says that they don't make seatbelts for it any more (needs the extra long ones on the passenger side that come from waaaaaaay behind the seat- where the side double doors open- not sure exactly which seating positions but can find out).

I had seatbelt issues after extended car seat install in my Honda Accord years ago and they replaced my seatbelt free and told me that "seatbelts have lifetime warranty" because they are such a standard, basic safety issue. Was this just a Honda thing? Was that bad info? Does ford offer the same type thing?

He has 7 kids and isn't wanting to shell out the $ for the belts (going to sell the van eventually)- they don't need them if their family rides, but if they pick up any extra passengers will need the seatbelts to work. Trying to do some research, but knew you guys were credible and figured someone would enjoy hunting down some valid info to pass along. Wanting to clarify for my own knowledge as well. Thanks.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's just a Honda thing. When we had the seatbelt replaced in our VW, I asked about a lifetime warranty, and the guy laughed and said "Yeah, if it's a Honda!" Apparently they are the only ones who see it that way.

We replaced one of the seat belts in our Astro with one from a junk yard. You have to be careful doing that, because you don't want one from a car that's been wrecked, obviously. But sometimes you can get them from cars that were just junked for mechanical issues, particular with older vehicles.

Another option would be using after-market seat belts, although I suspect they would be a bit harder to install yourself.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I had a problem with the seat belt in our Escape when it retracted in and would not come out, and everything you did just made it tighter. My vehicle was 3.5 years old at the time, so the 3 year warranty was up and they wanted to charge me for fixing the seat belt until I pointed out to them that the seat belt was part of the "safety restraint system" that was warrantied for 5 years/60,000 miles. They said, "oh ya" and there was no charge. But, ya Ford is 5 years/60,000 miles on seat belts.

Honda is lifetime? Sweet. I am going to go check my warranty manual right now, I had no idea! (and this isn't even my first Honda!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC