What's up with the Sungride strap adjuster?

U

Unregistered

I am having my fourth baby in April and ordered a new snugride online to match the stroller we have. Imagine my surprise when it arrived and there was no front strap adjuster thingy to pull on... there were 2 separate adjusters in the back of the seat though. Is it me or does that seem really inconvenient? Does anyone know if there is a reason Graco went to this style? I was able to find another sungride with the front adjuster but was curious about the benefits of having them in back.

Annie

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Graco didn't "go to" this style of harness adjuster. They have always had that type as an option, just like they have the front adjuster as an option.

Not all Snugrides have front adjusters. Some do, some do not. YOu have to be careful about which ones you buy because they don't all have the front adjuster.

I'm sorry you wound up with a back-adjusting SR. Can you send it back and get a front adjuster one? It may not match, but it will be a lot more convenient! :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto the above post -- some Snugrids have the annoying (less safe because it's too easy to misuse) back adjustment while some have the nicer (easier/safer) front adjuster ... WHY they just aren't all front adjusting is totally beyond me :confused: @@

lovinwaves

My Graco Snugride had the adjusters in the back, and I *loved* mine. BUT (and a very big "but") I have never had the pleasure of owning a snugride with the one adjuster in the front. If you get a good deal on one with the adjusters in the back it's ok.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes -- I hope I didn't scare anyone into thinking the back adjuster is inherently less safe ... it depends on proper use: the front adjust is usually easier to use properly, but the back adjuster can be used correctly without much effort so long as you remember to actually use it ;)

(Harness straps must be snug enough that you cannot pinch the material)

RubysGirl

I had the back adjuster version with my son and never had a problem with it. It's not hard to use at all. The front adjuster version is just a touch nicer. (And a touch more expensive, lol) That's all.

I don't think it's any easier to misuse a back adjuster seat. People who don't bother to tighten straps don't really change when they move to a convertable with a front adjuster strap, do they?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Not everyone, no. But, some, yes. For some, if they don't see it they don't remember or if they do remember they just dismiss it because it takes a few extra seconds. I imagine that most people who take the time to come here wouldn't dismiss it, though.

southpawboston

gosh, i never knew the snugrides had different adjusting mechanisms... i thought all were front adjusting, because that's what we had... they really should have renamed them... you don't expect two different products with the same model name.

scatterbunny

Having a rear adjuster on a rear-facing seat is usually not a huge deal; so for an infant seat it's usually pretty easy to adjust from the rear. BUT if it's on a convertible seat or a combination seat, once that seat is forward-facing it will be impossible to adjust the tightness of the harness without completely uninstalling the seat. NOT a good thing at all.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
my MIL's car had an evenflo discovery with the 3-pt and rear adjuster... the adjuster was a major PITA to use... hopefully the snugride's is easier!

The Evenflo rear-adjusters WERE a pain to use! You are right about that!!! :D

Graco's rear-adjusters are easier than Evenflo's. Gracos have two little straps on buckles in the back. They aren't bad. They don't have that annoying black piece of plastic you have to push up, like Evenflo had.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC