Transport Canada Safety Notice

canadianmom2three

Has anyone heard of this safety notice, or had luck getting their belts replaced? I have been struggling and struggling to get a good install with the Radian in the modular seating of my Montana, finally I stumbled upon this on the net...seems like it would totally solve the problem, and maybe will help others who are having the same problem - it applied to Chevy Venture and Olds Sillouette (1997-02), Pontiac Trans-port (1997-99) and Montana (1999-02) and actually to even newer models too, with the exception that the info about obtaining the new buckle stalk is in the owners manual's of later models:
Here's the info from Transport Canada
When installing a children's restraint system in the second or third row vehicle seat with modular seating, there may be excessive lateral (side-to-side) movement.

Background: This issue was reported to Transport Canada by a concerned parent. It appears that the seat belt buckles in the above listed vehicles are forward of the seat crease (where the seat back and seat cushion join) and have limited rotational movement. This makes securing a child seat difficult and due to the angle of the seat belt buckle, can induce slack into the seat belt allowing for the excessive lateral movement.

Transport Canada, on receipt of this inquiry, opened an investigation. Testing was performed on an exemplar vehicle, which confirmed that excessive lateral movement was possible. Transport Canada did determine that with the use of a locking clip, tight installation was possible.

Further investigation found that GM has addressed this concern with a Technical Service Bulletin (#00-09-40-001A) dated 07/19/2001. This Bulletin describes the availability and replacement procedures for a new buckle assembly that incorporates a longer, more flexible stalk, which can rotate to produce a more upright angle position. This more upright angle of the buckle could make the installation of some child seats easier and reduce the amount of lateral movement.

Called my dealership, who says they have not heard of anything like that at all, I directed them to the website, and am waiting to hear back.

ADS

cantech

This sounds as though it might be the fix you need! Hope it works out...let us know.

Thanks for pointing out the TC Notice, I'll keep it in the back of my mind for future checks.

Belinda

canadianmom2three

Well, they will be happy to replace the buckle assembly for me, but they will not cover the cost, and it will be $315...per buckle. They are certain I am just doing something wrong with the install, 'you know, it is very easy for the seatbelt to become tangled behind the car seat, and sometimes you really have to push to get it tight' - hmmmm never thought of that:rolleyes: They want me to bring it in so their tech can have a look - will see what he has to say I guess

cantech

GRRRR...

Is their tech a car seat tech or just a mechanical tech? I'm betting mechanical!

Are you going to take it in and let them see what bad design (at least from a car seat's perspective) looks like in person? Perhaps they might take pity on you and give you a break on the repair fee.

Should be interesting to say the least!

Belinda

Aprilmom

I had it replaced for free at my dealership. I have a 2003 Venture. It has made installs much more solid. Right now I have my Ma rf and it is perfect. With a lot of work I have had success with ff seats as well. My vehicle is tan and they only had black ones at the time. As a side note my dealership first changed out the buckle in the 3rd seat, so I lost 2 buckles since they are connected. It was a little frustrating to have to go back to the dealership! I am also in Canada (Alberta).
I can take pics if you like.
HTH,
Danielle

Last edited:

canadianmom2three

They said he is a trained car seat technician...we will see, I have an appt. for Tuesday. I did call GM canada to lodge a bit of a complaint, I mean, the seat belts as they are are useless to me and I will soon not be able to use latch to secure the RAdian as DS is almost to 48lbs...I don't mind paying a bit, but $315:eek: am waiting to hear back, the gentleman I got couldn't comment, he said he valued me as a customer so much that he wanted to hand my issue over to management...we will see how much they value me as a customer:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC