What's wrong with Toyota SUVs?

R

reardonke

Hi

We are looking at buying a new Toyota SUV for our family. We have 2 boys - age 3 and less than 1. I would like to be able to buy a Toyota because of their reliabilty and they hold their value. However, it doesn't look like they made the list of recommended family cars.

I am also interested in having a car that will fit three car seats across with additional (third row) seating for adults. As well as additional room for cargo. We travel a lot with A LOT of gear. We are looking at the Sequoia and the Land Cruiser.

Thanks
Karen

ADS

Jacques

I don't know about the Toyota SUVs, but have you considered either the Nissan Pathfinder or Armada, or the Honda Pilot? Those three SUVs have third row seating for adults, and in the case of the Pilot, have a LATCH system for the second and third row of seats.

lovinwaves

What list of "Recommended Family Cars" are you talking about exactly.

My thoughts are if you like the vehicle then it should be on your families "Recommended Car List" LOL :D

Let see, I have a owned a Toyota 4-runner and LOVED it. My boss has a Sequoia and LOVES it!! I have actually got to drive it several times because I use to nanny his two kids. I have taken it on a couple road trips also.

You are definitely going to be getting reliability and overall great customer satisfaction with Toyota, and of course they hold their resale value considerably! :cool:

If gas mileage is a concern for you then I would recommend the Toyota Highlander(Hybrid), or Honda Pilot.

Jacques

After looking at that list, the Honda Pilot has this: "Editor's Choices are in italics". :) I'll take a gander the reasons are below:
--airbags, side and curtain-front are dual-stage/dual-threshold, while sides have the Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS), which detects the height/seating position of the person. It deactivates if it detects a small person (ie: child)
--4WD (optional for LX and EX models)
--Vehicle Stability Assist
--3-point belts all-around
--third row seating
--LATCH anchors
--rear camera for backing up (NAV-equipped Pilots only)

This link in that site helps as well: http://www.suvsafety.info/thirdrow.html

Lys

Senior Community Member
and in the case of the Pilot, have a LATCH system for the second and third row of seats.

I have a 2006 Pilot and only have 2 LATCH anchors in the second row.
IT does however have tether anchors in all seating positions for the 2nd and 3rd row.

Jacques

I have a 2006 Pilot and only have 2 LATCH anchors in the second row.
IT does however have tether anchors in all seating positions for the 2nd and 3rd row.

Sorry for the misinformation. :( I have a child on the way (in about 4 months), so until then I should've better inspected the LATCH anchors and familiarize between it and the tether anchors.

twokidstwodogs

My guess would be that it's because it doesn't look like there's any recent crash test data on either the Sequoia or the Land Cruiser. On the Informed for Life website, both are unrated for lack of adequate data for both 2006 and 2007. Of course, they might still perform well in a crash, but perhaps folks creating such lists are uncomfortable recommending them without that kind of data? Take a look for yourself: www.informedforlife.org.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC