Question thoughs on replacement seats after accident

U

Unregistered

Hello All:

We were in an accident over the weekend and I need to replace my seats and wanted to see what reccomendations you guys have. The insurance will be replacing the seats, so cost is not an issue. My children's stats are:

DS1: 3 1/2 years old, 36 pounds, and about 3 1/2 feet tall. He was riding in a Britax Frontier and likes his big boy seat. I am thinking of just getting a new Frontier to replace the damaged one. I'm not interested in RF him again. He was RF until 2 when he hit the 33 lb limit on his seat. The saying that you only need a car seat once, you just don't know when that will be is soooo true. The seat was only in the car for a week before the accident. Britax had to replace the seat since the arm rest broke off.

DS2: 7 months, 22 lbs, no idea on height, but is tall for his age. He was riding in DS1's old Britax Decathlon. I'm thinking about getting a Blvd, but want to see what you guys suggest. I do like the ease of use and easy installs that the Britax's have, but I haven't shopped for a convertable in awhile.

Our vehicle is a 2009 VW Routan. The baby is in the 2nd row captain's chair and my three year old is in the 3rd row in the middle. This set up works great for us so I can sit in the 2nd row and entertain the baby when we go somewhere as a family. Both seats are installed using LATCH.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jaclyn

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi there. :) Sorry to hear you were in a crash, but good to know the insurance company is being helpful regarding crashed seat replacements, and hope everyone is okay. It sounds like you're happy with the Frontier for your older child, and I'd get another in your shoes if that's the case. Since your 7 month old is 22 lbs. and on the tall side, you'd be better served by one of the newer convertible seat models with a higher rear facing capacity capable of rear facing to 40 or 45 lbs. depending on the model to keep him rear facing longer than a new Britax convertible that has a rear facing weight limit of 35 lbs. The Sunshine Kids Radian80SL and RadianXTSL convertibles with a 45 lb. rear facing capacity, and the Safety First Complete Air convertible that can rear face up to 40 lbs., would be worth looking into in your situation for your 7 month old. I can't speak to the Radian or Complete Air's ease of installation or compatibility in your Routan, though, so ideally you could try before you buy, or purchase from a store with a good return policy. The Graco MyRide convertible also has a higher rear facing weight limit of 40 lbs. but my understanding is that the MyRide is more on a par heightwise with a Britax convertible's shell height, and it would be outgrown by height earlier than the Radian or Complete Air.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC