A few ?'s about the Radian65

futuresoccermom

Okay, so I went to there site and read the owners manual for the seat, and now I have a few questions.

The manual says-

Seat can be used up to 51", but on the main page of there site it says to 49"
Which is correct?

Also says don't use seat after years.- So is the lifespan of this seat 7 or 8 years?

What is the verdict on using this seat with the childs shoulders above the top slots, but ears below the seatback?

Can someone explain the adjustable base to me? I didn't understand when you are to use it, or what it's purpose is.

What are you children saying about this seat? Is it comfortable?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I choose the seat that will work best for us.

Thanks!

ADS

skipspin

Okay, so I went to there site and read the owners manual for the seat, and now I have a few questions.

The manual says-

Seat can be used up to 51", but on the main page of there site it says to 49"
Which is correct?

Also says don't use seat after years.- So is the lifespan of this seat 7 or 8 years?

What is the verdict on using this seat with the childs shoulders above the top slots, but ears below the seatback?

Can someone explain the adjustable base to me? I didn't understand when you are to use it, or what it's purpose is.

What are you children saying about this seat? Is it comfortable?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I choose the seat that will work best for us.

Thanks!

First, the height is a guideline. You can use the seat till the shoulders are even with the top slots. SK does say that they will be approveing use with the shoulders above the top slots, but ears below the seatback, but AFAIK they haven't yet. In that case I might use it if they were slighlty over the slots, but I don't think I would persoanlly use it if the shoulders were above the slots A LOT, at least on a regualr basis.

As far as the "base". (It's really not a base, but more of just the bottom of the seat.) It has a slight adjustment for FFing recline. It raises the front 1-2" makeing the seat lean back just a tiny bit. Sometimes people can get a better install with it reclined, but personally I don't see much of a difference.

The "boot" that attaches to the base is only for RFing. It changes the angle drastically, so that the seat fits RFing and has a 45' recline.

My daughter really likes this seat. We took it on our trip this summer that involved five days of driving. She sometimes complains about her Evenflo Chase (in daddy's truck) but never about this seat. She has been in a Britax Wizard and a Recaro Young Sport and they are both pretty cushy seats. I think it's the easiest seat to buckle, unbucle etc once it's installed. It's the only seat that my DD can always do herself (she's 3.5) and since it sits low on the vehicle seat she doesn't have to climb up into it either.

I hope that helps.

futuresoccermom

skipspin- Thankyou for your help! How big is your daughter and how does she fit in the seat? Sorry, I had a little typo in my OP, the manual said the seat should not be used after EIGHT years. So, is the exp. date on your seat 8 yrs from the DOM?

Thanks

skipspin

I think that the Radians have a 6 or 7 year span. Mine was manuf in 1/06 and says do not use after 7 years, but it seems I have heard 6 years from someone else...so either they were wrong or the newer ones have the standard 6 yr limit. I have never heard 8 years before.

My DD is 3.5, 35 lb, and about 35ish in tall. She is slightly chubby and has a long torso for her height. (She's just tall enough for 3t pants and wears 4 t shirts mostly.) I really like the way she fits in the seat. Her 40+ lb 38" tall friend (he is actually younger) has one too and he fits great. I've had a 5.5 yr old (40 lb, tall for her age and thin) in it too.

Here are som pics of my DD in the seat this summer. (She was 3 and 33 lb)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/skipspin/Car Seats/CIMG5060.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/skipspin/Car Seats/Radian/efab3c10.jpg

Here's one of her RFing when she was just at the limit. You can see the "foot" that reclines it for RFing.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/skipspin/Car Seats/Radian/ecb5f280.jpg

futuresoccermom

Thankyou for the pictures, is your daughter on the second from top set of slots?

I went and looked at manual on skjp.com, and on page 7 it says-

To prevent injury to child:

Do not use restraint if it is older than eight years.
Manufacture date is on back of restraint.

Does you manual also say this?

drey

First, the height is a guideline. You can use the seat till the shoulders are even with the top slots. SK does say that they will be approveing use with the shoulders above the top slots, but ears below the seatback, but AFAIK they haven't yet.

FWIW, my new Radian has a manufacture date of 10/06, and the manual says it can be used until tops of the ears are above the top of the restraint.

skipspin

Thankyou for the pictures, is your daughter on the second from top set of slots?

I went and looked at manual on skjp.com, and on page 7 it says-

Does you manual also say this?

Nope, mine clearly says 7 years. Go figure.

Yes, she is in the 2nd from the top slots, and still has some room in it that way.

Mom2nj

Hello- My DD is 4 yrs, 41 in and 36lbs, she is 2nd to top slot, I think her torso is 14 - 14.5 inches. I don't remember exactly. She likes her seat now. She did not at first. I made the mistake and put her in a booster to soon and she liked the freedom, so when I got her a new seat she wasn't happy at all. Never complained about her behind, just the head area, which is actually softer than the turbo booster she was in. She had a MA prior to the booster and she was in the top slot with maybe 1/2 inch left to grow. I had no problems installing it in our 2001 Oldsmobile van with Latch, got a decent install with the seat belt as well. No problems with the straps twisting or anything. We are happy with her seat.

futuresoccermom

Well, I was still curious so I emailed sunshine kids to ask how many years past DOM there seats were good for, this was there reply-

Dear Kara,

Because other car seats are all plastic, they are only rated to 6 years.
Radian is made with a steel frame so the seats life can be rated to 8 years.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,
Kathy Wheeler

I just emailed them this morning, and already had a reply by this evening, they must have pretty good customer service!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC