We're looking at Expeditions, anything else to consider?

ILoveMy3Boys

DH and I currently have a van but it's time to replace it. After thinking and looking for over a year we've decided that we'd like an Expedition. We currently have three sons, two sons that just turned 3 and are RF in RNs and another son that will be 2 in February, also RF in a MA. I would imagine they are all going to be ready to flip in the next year or so, they are all the same size. Their seat limits are all 35#s. We are planning to have at least one more kiddo and plan to keep this vehicle for a while. The only other seats we'd have are SRs or the GN. We test drove a Flex, Expedition and Armada. I LOVE the Flex but we simply can't afford one. I don't mind the Armada but DH would prefer the Ford. We both agree we don't want to go back to a van. We're looking for probably an 04-06. Our top budget is around 18K.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I might be wrong, as cars are not my "thing", lol, but my understanding is that the ford taurus X is actually very similar to the flex, same platform, etc. Is there a reason you are not considering those? I've seen lots of them in the price range you are looking at.

canadiangie

You are needing something with a 3rd row, but you also need something with at least 3 top tether anchors, in locations that make sense. Not always an easy task.

I am curious, why not another van? (I drive a big SUV, so no need to really convince me, I'm just curious is all)

ILoveMy3Boys

Well there a few reasons. We're 24 and we simply want something with a tad more of a 'cool' factor. The second reason is that in the two years that we've had our van I constantly have to nag my husband to do any work on it because he hates that the engine is in such a tiny space. Third is we need something that can tow stuff, travel trailers and eventually our dirt bikes/quads. I loved my van when we first got it but I'm over it LoL

I haven't seen the Taurus X. I'll have to Google it when the kids go to bed.

amylynne01

I have an 08 Expedition and love it. And I'm young too (26), and the SUV just seems cooler. Mine has 4 top tethers (3 in 2nd row and 1 in 3rd row middle).

I think that the Taurus X is fairly new (maybe just came out in 2008).

ILoveMy3Boys

I asked DH if he had heard of the Taurus X and he grunted a 'Yes...' at me LoL I looked them up and it looks like the leg room leaves something to be desired and the space in the rear is small. I'll look at them in person when we're on the lot but I searched autotrader.com within 100 miles of us and the cheapest I came up with was basically 20k. If I can find an Expedition I like for cheaper the smaller monthly payments will stress me out less :)

I'll spill the beans... I'm currently driving an 2000 Venture so obviously pretty much anything is going to be safer but I'm wanting to make sure we're in the right direction with the Expedition.

TerisBoys

The Ford Taurus X was also called the Ford Freestyle prior to the 08 model year.

My parents have a 7 passenger - it was plenty roomy for them, me, my bf, and 3 boys (2 in boosters, 1 seatbelt). Shoulder belts in all rear positions, headrests in all rear positions. Someone with a LATCH manual will need to chime in on LATCH/tether though - I can't remember. Cargo room isn't spacious by any means, but there's at least as much as my Grand Caravan has.

ILoveMy3Boys

I knew it looked familiar! I have seen the inside, a friend rented one for a vacation back in 06. I talked to DH about it and he said in all honestly unless it got like 30MPG he wants to go with the Expedition and I'm really good with that.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Make it easy on me, since I know I will get a phone call, when a new vehicle is bought. Which is fine, we loooooove the cookies!

Oh, and I like the Expedition, and the Tahoe.

ILoveMy3Boys

LoL Judi c'mon you know you're going to find yourself in a dealer's lot and some time in your near future making a cookie deal :)
No, in all seriousness we have talked about the need to be able to take a vehicle home with us at least for the day (if not overnight) to have you come look at seats and play with arrangments with me. I might even give you some extra cookies if you bring over a GN to play with too ;) We're going to be in this rig for a while so it's going to need to be able to grow with us... unless of course God throws triplets our way next time!!

celtic1885

I had an 04 Expedition - Loved it.....however, when the third row is "up" there is NO cargo space behind the seat. Most of the time our third row was folded. Also, compared to a van, getting to the third row for seating is a pain - especially if you have seats installed in the second row. If you do go with the Expedition try to get one of the XL - if I'm not mistaken they came out in '07 and have a longer base for more room behind the third row.....not sure you'll be able to find one in that price range though....

I traded my Exp for a van (Honda) - can use all seating positions and still load a ton of stuff behind the third row. Gas mileage is way better as well ;)

that being said, I do miss my Exp, circumstances made it not work for me for now (2 carseats and my mom w/walker/wheelchair), but will probably go back to an SUV once the girls are no longer in seats.

Last edited:

MOM25BOYS

OP I have an '04 Expedition and love it! :love: The only down side though might be with the GN. They fit wonderful on the 2nd row, but have overhang on the 3rd row which is not allowed. :( If you don't ever plan on using them back there then you have no problem, but it can be a pain to install seats back on the 3rd with those lovely belt stalks, lol. :p That being said with a little time and some resources you can fit the seats you need with no problem. :thumbsup:

And as some one else already mentioned there isn't alot of cargo room at all, but for vacations we just have a cargo carrier for the top. ;)

ILoveMy3Boys

Yeah, the ones that came out in 07 are the 'EL's I'd love to have one but I don't know if it's in our budget. DH and I have talked extensively about the cargo space that will be given up and because we are moving out of the stroller age (woohoo!!) and the most we'd need is a our small MaClaren or possibly a SBS Jeep umbrella we're comfortable with that compromise. I'm a big BW'r, even two at a time so even if we do get another set of twins I think we'll be okay.

Fortunately his dad has a cargo carrier he never uses so we're hoping he'll be willing to part with it :)

About the Nauti... that's why I'm going to bribe Judi with cookies :) Looking at the Expeditions this last weekend I realized there is no way a Nauti will fit back there :) But we've got the two RNs to stick back there. I don't know why I like the GNs so much, maybe its just because we've had the same seats for what seems like forever!

My twins have their 3 year well child check this afternoon. I'm SO excited to see how much they weigh.

shorty393

we had an '03 expedition and loved it!! the RN fits wonderfully in it. i agree with the pp about there not being much room with the 3rd row up but since you said you dont need much room that isnt really an issue. we currently have an '06 freestyle and it does not even get close to the gas mileage they say it does. it gets 19-20 mpg in the city and the most we have gotten out of it is just BARELY 24 mpg. our lexus IS 250 (that we got after trading the expedition) on the other hand gets much better mileage at 25 in the city so it isnt our driving style. and the freestyle doesn't really have the "cool" factor although it is a very comfortable ride.

MOM25BOYS

Oh yeah, 2 RN's will fit beautifully back there. I have had 3 RN's across the back with no problems, but a center install can be a pain since the belt stalk is fixed and doesn't budge a bit, atleast in mine. Right now I have a RN center with 2 Recaro Vivo's outboard and its a tight squeeze but works. ;) The GN's fit with 2 outboard, but the blasted 3rd row seat is so much shorter that the whole front end hangs off. :thumbsdown: I was soooo disappointed when I bought my 2 and they didn't fit. Good luck and happy shopping! :love:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Just keep in mind that when baby #4 (or #4 and #5! xomes along, you will want your rear facers in the 2nd row and the forward facers in the back. Since the nautis won't fit it the back, it will be the radians.

ILoveMy3Boys

Yeah, I think we're going to just be a RN kind of family. If we only have one baby I'm skipping the bucket and just getting an 80. I haven't completely ruled out skipping the buckets even if it is another set of twins so it would be two FF in the rear (in RNs) and the other three seats in the middle.

Today with clothes on David(DS1) was 31.5 pounds and Henry(DS2) was 30 pounds. Even Nolan(DS3) was 30 pounds. Nolan's weight gain has slowed so much in his second year I'd be surprised if he doesn't get to 3 RF like his older brothers.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I know you are worried about cargo space and mentioned you are moving out of the stroller age, I wanted to throw out there that in my Explorer I have fit a quatro tour on its side in the back. I had to put it in through the half gate and hold it up while dh pushed the third row up,but it was done. With a seat installed with the top tethers in the third row, I would have to give up my cargo area because of the TA placement. (don't know about Expiditions).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC