Are there any minivans besides the Toyota Sienna that has All Wheel Drive

fatherof3

I am looking for a minivan with all wheel drive. The fact that the Sienna got a poor on the rear safety test rules it out. I would prefer AWD. Any other options.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You're broadening your car search from SUVs and crossovers to minivans, I see. :) The Sienna is pretty much it in terms of current minivan models, with an AWD option in the 7-passenger version only. AWD isn't available on the 8-passenger Sienna models. I'm not sure if this will be true of the redesigned 2011 model Sienna due out later next year. FWIW, the rear headrests appear to have been redesigned in an effort to improve crash protection based on photos posted in the Car Safety forum's 2011 Sienna thread.

There were a couple of discontinued minivan models with optional AWD. Earlier Chrysler/Dodge minivans, pre-2008 model year or possibly even earlier, I'm blanking a bit on the specific model year range for those, had optional AWD. Depending on how early you have to go to find one, it could pre-date the timeframe when side curtain airbags were available options on the Chrysler minivan models, potentially sacrificing crash safety performance for the AWD feature.:eek: I believe the discontinued GM minivan siblings, the Chevy Uplander, Buick Terrazza, Saturn Relay and the Pontiac SV6, also had optional AWD. These GM minivan models were essentially slightly updated Chevy Venture clones with less than stellar crash scores compared to competing minivans, and are also frequently lamented as not very carseat friendly here on the forum, though. :(

Instead of AWD, you could also consider a FWD vehicle with traction control and stability control, and switch out the standard tires to snow tires during the winter months if you're in a snowy region and must drive when the roads are at their worst. :twocents: I live in the snowy north and get by with a FWD Sienna w/traction and stability control and the OEM all season tires, with the caveat that I'm a SAHM who doesn't always have to venture out in the worst winter conditions, barring emergencies. My previous vehicle was a '03 Saturn Vue with AWD. The AWD came in handy one instance where I had to get to the hospital after a blizzard, but otherwise it was overkill IMHO. :twocents:

Maedze

The Sienna is it.

However, I've driven three winters now in a minivan with no AWD in New England, and I've never had a problem. It's really not a big deal unless you intend to go mountaineering in your minivan.

fatherof3

thanks for all the replies. it looks like it is the Honda Odyssey. The trunk space in the SUV's makes no sense with 3 young kids.

Do any of you have the DVD. My wife is concerned the kids may be too close.

fatherof3

You're broadening your car search from SUVs and crossovers to minivans, I see. :) The Sienna is pretty much it in terms of current minivan models, with an AWD option in the 7-passenger version only. AWD isn't available on the 8-passenger Sienna models. I'm not sure if this will be true of the redesigned 2011 model Sienna due out later next year. FWIW, the rear headrests appear to have been redesigned in an effort to improve crash protection based on photos posted in the Car Safety forum's 2011 Sienna thread.

There were a couple of discontinued minivan models with optional AWD. Earlier Chrysler/Dodge minivans, pre-2008 model year or possibly even earlier, I'm blanking a bit on the specific model year range for those, had optional AWD. Depending on how early you have to go to find one, it could pre-date the timeframe when side curtain airbags were available options on the Chrysler minivan models, potentially sacrificing crash safety performance for the AWD feature.:eek: I believe the discontinued GM minivan siblings, the Chevy Uplander, Buick Terrazza, Saturn Relay and the Pontiac SV6, also had optional AWD. These GM minivan models were essentially slightly updated Chevy Venture clones with less than stellar crash scores compared to competing minivans, and are also frequently lamented as not very carseat friendly here on the forum, though. :(

Instead of AWD, you could also consider a FWD vehicle with traction control and stability control, and switch out the standard tires to snow tires during the winter months if you're in a snowy region and must drive when the roads are at their worst. :twocents: I live in the snowy north and get by with a FWD Sienna w/traction and stability control and the OEM all season tires, with the caveat that I'm a SAHM who doesn't always have to venture out in the worst winter conditions, barring emergencies. My previous vehicle was a '03 Saturn Vue with AWD. The AWD came in handy one instance where I had to get to the hospital after a blizzard, but otherwise it was overkill IMHO. :twocents:

great information. the sienna has had poor rear crash ratings for many years and I am buying this year to take advantage of tax savings since we need it anyway in the next few months.

Maedze

I think you'll be thrilled with the Odyssey. It's such a spacious vehicle. In the seven passenger version, every rear seating position has top tether anchors. (The plus one seat doesn't, but it's so narrow, it works best for rear facing seats anyway.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC