Front vs. Back Seat?

K

kristiemlove

MY daughter just turned 7 and is 52" tall. I insist that she rides in the back seat in a booster for a few more years. I have just learned her dad now lets her ride in the front seat of his truck (airbags off) because he is afraid she will hit her head on the glass in back and that would be more dangerous. I showed him how to adjust the headrest so her head is protected but we still got into a little debate. I don't see any laws about the kids not being able to ride in the front seat, but, regardless, I prefer to err on the side of caution and just keep her in back. Does anybody have any hard stats that I could show him that may sway his decision?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have any hard stats, but you are absolutely right that she should be in the backseat, in a booster, with the headrest appropriately positioned.

Even if it is not against the law (in which state do you live?), it is not safe to have her ride in the front seat if there is an acceptable seating location in the backseat.

skaterbabs

Unless she's driving ;) , she has no business in the front seat. A recent study showed that the back seat is over 70% safer than the front.

Amaris

Didn't I see something recentely about the age for riding in the front seat being raised from 13 to 15?? I had this problem with my FIL, so I basically asked him if he was willing to risk the life of my child, his grandchild, by depending on that little switch to turn off the airbag.....his answer was no!!! Kind of drastic yes, but it got the point across!!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
If there's a place in the back, she needs to be there. My dh's work truck is an extended cab so not much room in the back and it's often full of crap for work. When that happens, the carseat goes in the front, but the boys hardly ever ride w/ him.

ETA: Do you have that study Rebekah? Last I heard the back was safer by like 33%. I want to be current!

skaterbabs

Like I said, it was a study posted either here or the CPS list, I honestly don't recall much other than it being such a significant difference.

scatterbunny

I've also only heard the 30-40 percent safer statistic. I have a friend looking for info on this, too. I wish we knew where the source of this data was.

CandCfam

Is this what you are looking for?

They found that occupants of the back seat are 59 percent to 86 percent safer than passengers in the front seat and that, in the back seat, the person in the middle is 25 percent safer than other back-seat passengers.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Aha, well, now I feel real dumb as I'm the one who totally posted that here some months ago :rolleyes: :eek: Except, in my defense, LOL, I request details about their finding & got no response, so I'm not "gungho" about quoting it my own article -- although I have left it on windshields anonymously :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC