Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Used carseat for plane ride?

Someone I know online found a Sit N Stroll for $30 at a consignment shop and wants to buy it for traveling to see her mother (3-4 times a year).
    She currently takes her seat and hates doing it. Her mom actually has a seat at her house for another grandchild, so they really only use her car seat (a marathon) for the plane.

She wants to buy the SNS to use on the plane only, and then use her mom's seat there. I can't see any real reason not to, as it only needs to keep the child in one comfy spot and possibly hold her for turbulence. Nothing major required out of it (I know turbulence can be severe, but nowhere near as severe as a car crash). She said that her daughter still fits in it.

Okay idea? I suggested a Scenera for not much more, but she wants this because it's on wheels.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Used carseat for plane ride?

Well, initially, I think "why not?" also...it would be fine for turbulence IMO, however what if the plane had a crash landing (not catastrophic - but a very hard landing, which does happen even if it is rare) would the seat hold up in those conditions? I'm just trying to think of "worse case scenarios" here. Not sure if I would do it, although it would be tempting...

Has she considered buying a CARES harness instead? www.kidsflysafe.com

That would cost more, but it would be safe.

Just a thought.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Someone I know online found a Sit N Stroll for $30 at a consignment shop and wants to buy it for traveling to see her mother (3-4 times a year).
    She currently takes her seat and hates doing it. Her mom actually has a seat at her house for another grandchild, so they really only use her car seat (a marathon) for the plane.

She wants to buy the SNS to use on the plane only, and then use her mom's seat there. I can't see any real reason not to, as it only needs to keep the child in one comfy spot and possibly hold her for turbulence. Nothing major required out of it (I know turbulence can be severe, but nowhere near as severe as a car crash). She said that her daughter still fits in it.

Okay idea? I suggested a Scenera for not much more, but she wants this because it's on wheels.
    It's probably fine if there's no noticeable damage to the seat. How old is the child? The top slots are LOW on that thing, kids like 2-3 outgrow it, and I hear it's too wide to push down some plane aisles, not to mention incredibly awkward to fold to and from stroller mode. But she could always re sell it for the same price once she figures this all out herself, I guess....
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I would think it would be fine to use for the plane only.

Has she ever used a Sit N Stroll? They are a pain in the neck to use. IN order to convert the SNS to stroller mode, you have to hold the carseat in the air and then pop the wheels out. It is a pain! I have had to do it one too many times. I finally gave up and just used a regular stroller.

Good luck to her!! _