booster recommendations

momofAandH

I’ve been reading reviews and trying to figure out what would work best for us but I’m getting overwhelmed with all the information out there. I would welcome any recommendations.

Here’s our situation:

3 year old DS who is 32# and 38 inches tall, 14.5 torso. He is currently in the Evenflo Triumph 5.
4 month old DS 14# and 24 inches tall. He is currently in the Graco Snugride.

Cars:
Honda CRV 2006
Subaru Outback 2004

My plan is to move the infant to the Triumph in the next month or so depending on how fast they both grow. Both children are in both cars for an equal amount of time. I want something comfortable because we do quite a bit of driving. Does anyone have any experience with either of these vehicles and know which seats we should avoid or work well with these vehicles?

Also since I need to purchase two, cost is very important. I’m looking at $150 or less for each.

I want to find a booster that will allow me to keep my 3 y.o. in a harness for as long as possible and not have to buy a new booster when he’s ready for a seatbelt. Also with EPS/EPP foam.

In advance, I really appreciate everyone’s help and recommendations.

ADS

skaterbabs

If you have high seatbacks, the Cosco Apex will work for your eldest.

Since he's such a lightweight, the Graco Cargo (make sure it has a front harnss adjuster!) would work as well, but it makes an AWFUL booster. The Evenflo Generations makes a good booster, but it's not so great harnessed, from what I hear. (I don't have personal experience with it.)

Keep in mind that all of these will likely be outgrown before he passes the 5 Step Test, and another booster will be necessary. However, a dedicated booster is not particularly expensive, and you do have a younger chld to pass down whatever seats you buy (as long as they don't expire first.)

scatterbunny

The Triumph is a great seat for forward-facing, but not so much for rear-facing, at least not to the limits because it has such a short seat shell that kids get too tall to rear-face (less than an inch of seat shell above the head) before 30 pounds. Rear-facing to at least age 2 and at least to 30 pounds is safest.

The Triumph has really high top slots. I would keep your 3yo in the Triumph in one vehicle and get him a Cosco Apex or Evenflo Bolero or Generations for the other vehicle. He won't outgrow the Triumph until he reaches 40 pounds, or when his shoulders go over the top slots, or when the tips of his ears go over the top of the seat shell.

The Apex harnesses to 65 pounds or until shoulders go over top slots, then converts to a booster. The Bolero and Generations harness to 40 pounds and then convert to boosters. The newest Apex, the brown Safety 1st one, has EPP foam. The Evenflos do not. All adjust tall enough to be the last booster you'll need for him, more than likely. The Apex requires vehicle headrest or seatback behind it at all times for head support, so even though your vehicles are new enough to have this, keep it in mind in case he rides with other people with older vehicles.

I would get a Safety 1st Uptown for baby.

scatterbunny

5 step test: http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

There is quite a bit of info to consider, you're right. I would not go with two Apexes if your son will ever be in a vehicle without headrests. They are required for the Apex.

Also, I wouldn't move him out of the Triumph yet if he still fits.

momofAandH

We considered all possibilites of our children being in other cars and realized they have never been in a car without us or we just give one of our cars to whom ever is watching them. So we figured the Apex should work fine in both our cars.

Last night I took my 3 yo to BRU and tried the new Safety 1st Apex. I really liked it and my son loved it!

My one big problem was that it seemed the crotch strap would not allow for much growth. It was already in the third slot farthest from the back. The clasp also seemed to squish his legs. Will I find this room restriction in all car/booster seats?

Should I consider another seat or am I over thinking this?

Thanks

scatterbunny

As long as the seat will stay put, it's a great choice. :)

I don't think any of the other seats give significantly more crotch room. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

bestjob-mommy

Does the Biltmore Booster on the website listed in posts above, have the higher harness slots of 19inches? If so, I might need to get one for my mom's minivan while its on sale. Thanks for the info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC