Unbuckling chest clip in MR65

KristinD

My sister inlaw called me yesterday saying that my niece (she just turned 1) is unbuckling the chest clip in her my ride. She does while sister inlaw is driving and I don't know what to tell her to do! Any advice? It's freaking my sister inlaw out and I don't want her to end up turning her FF so that she can "keep an eye on her."

ADS

Evolily

Does she have the straps properly tightened? She shouldn't be able to pinch any slack at her DD's shoulders. It is difficult for me to imagine a 1 y/o unbuckling a properly tightened & positioned chest clip.

If it's properly tightened, the other thing to do would be to use a zipper or button up shirt. Basically you put the shirt on the child, unfastened, buckle them into the seat and then fasten the shirt over the harness. Good luck!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It is also hard for me to imagine a just turned one year old being able to reliease the chest clip on the MR, must have some good dexterity and strength!

Like Celtic said, ensure she has the harness properly tightened and the chest clip in the proper position.

Your sister can get some sticky velcro and stick a piece of the rought side on the clip. Apparently kids don't like the feel of the rough side, it hurst their little fingers so will hopefully deter her.

The purpose of the chest clip is to ensure the harness straps stay in position before a crash, so if the harness is otherwise properly situated and tightened, and she's not pulling her arms out of the harness or anything, then her little one is still safe in her seat. A chest clip being unbuckled is in no way the same as a harness being unbuckled!

KristinD

I had SIL send me a picture because I felt the same way... that I had never seen a 1yr old who was able to unbuckle their seat.

Sure enough, the chest clip was right above her belly and the harness was half down her sleeves (she was wearing a heavy jacket :thumbsdown: so I can imagine just how tight the harness was... :rolleyes:)

I told her she needed to put the harness and chest clip on correctly then most likely Abby wouldn't be able to unbuckle that.. but she insists that she can still do it. I doubt it. I will tell her about the jacket thing though! And the velcro! Thanks :)

Nena2007

My son is 17 months and just started doing this too, I'm getting a new seat. His was properly tightned, it is just so easy for them to pop open!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC