Need some opinions!!

dawnp15

DD1 Turned 4 in June, and she weighs about 48lbs with clothes and shoes on, i just did her measurments and i got about 43 3/4-44 inches. I've never done her torso before so please tell me if this is wrong so i can redo it. I had her sit against the wall and i measured from her bottom to the top of her shoulder and got 16 inches. She's always been above 90% for height and weight her whole life. So she is curently in a GN at the highest slot and i think she is about to outgrow it :(. Today she had on a fleece jacket like one from old navy and i didn't buckle her in DH did and after we left the house i looked back and it looked like she was even with the top slot. I don't know what to do if she's outgrown this seat. I really don't think she's booster ready at all. She sleeps in the car a lot still and is a wiggler. Does the Radian 80sl have higher top slots?? I just got this seat for her less than a year ago, and i think she would fit in a Regent. DH would have a bird i think though if i bought her another seat. he just dosn't get it and thinks it's ok for 2-3 year olds to ride in boosters :rolleyes:. I also don't think a regent would work in our 3 across situation. Right now we have a GN and 2 RA 50's and it's tight but it works. Any suggestions??? :love:

ADS

Maedze

Do you have the head rest up to the top slot? 16" will put her more at the 3rd slot.

My son is 48", has a torso of 16", and *just* moved to the fourth slot. He has a solid 2" left of torso growth.

I never say never, but it's highly unlikely a 43" child is anywhere near close to outgrowing a Nautilus.

Would you be comfortable posting a picture of your child in the seat?

dawnp15

Hmmm i swear i'm not crazy LOL!!! Let me look again and make sure she's on the 4th slot and i will take a pic too....

Pixels

The Radian does not have higher top slots but it does allow use with shoulders over the top slot as long as the tops of the child's ears are not above the top of the seat and the child is less than 53" tall.

steph_s

I too am wondering if the head rest is fully up to get to those top slots. I know some seats install differently in some vehicles, but that seems like a lot of room lost. With a 16in torso she should be at the second to top slot (which is 16.5in tall) not the top slot. The top slot is 18.5in tall.

dawnp15

Ok i got a couple quick pics sorry they're not the best. I think she has a little more room than i thought, but she is on the 4th slots i double checked. Maybe i measured her torso wrong?? I will measure her again to make sure i did it right.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

steph_s

Can you recline the Nauti a bit? You might get an extra inch or so. I'm in shock that sitting down she is measuring a 16in torso, but is loosing that much height while installed. I know every seat is different, but to loose 2.5 in is weird.

3plus2isme

I'd check and see if she's actually at the slots or if it just looks like it because of the way the cover is.

DS1 looks like he's at the slots of his radian but when I feel under the cover he has room to grow. He's around 47-48" (he's in the midst of a growth spurt) so I'd "think" a 43" child would have room in a Nauti!

dawnp15

I will look under the cover in the morning, but still that may get her a little more room. She definantly needs to be on the 4th slots though. This is really confusing me :confused:. I did remeausre her torso and i really don't know what i'm doing but she is somewhere between 16-17 depending on where i have the tapemeasure on her shoulder. She's not at 17 but is a little over16 for sure.

Mommy2Marcus

It looks to me like there is one more slot right under the edge of the headrest. It is in the 1st picture that I can see what looks like another slot. However I could be wrong.

Jennifer mom to my 7

ANd for a comparison, here is my dd, 17 + inch torso, also about 43-44 inches, 43-44 pounds, in her Nautilus. She is on the top slot. She outgrew her decathlon almost a year ago. This was taken on her 4th bday.
IMG_8261_2.jpg

IMG_8259_1.jpg

Kat_Momof3

just to add... some of the confusion may also be that you didn't pull her hood out from under the straps... it needs to be up on the kid's head when you buckle her in... since it can't be removed... so that it doesn't interfere with the straps.

dawnp15

Like i said they're not good pics, it was bed time and i just sat her in the seat real quick to snap a couple pics. She's for sure on the 4th slot i counted twice and i do see that her hood is a little under, but that said i don't think that it would make that big of a difference right?? She is still on the 4th slot and obviously very close to being at that slot. She does have a little more room than i thought, at first i thought she was right at the slot if not a little over, but really being that close to the top slot how much longer does she have in this seat?? I just won a Radian 80sl, so once i get it i can try her in that since she can go over the slots in that seat. I'm just worried, she's only 4. My goal was to have her harnessed until she was 6, but i guess i don't see that happening. My DH is gone with our truck so when he gets back i will take better pics without her in the seat, and better ones with her in the seat.

Maedze

I'm interested to see a picture of her in the Radian if you get a chance. I know a small handful have had better luck with fit in that seat in the Radian which is a little baffling, but hey, since when do car seats make sense?

dawnp15

LOL!! I know she just had a huge growth spurt, but i really thought she would have a long time before she outgrew this seat. Like i said i want to get better pics and see what you think, i do want to make sure i have this right!!! Oh and about the recline, i know that it is some whate reclined, but i can't remember how much. When i DH gets home i'm going to mess around with it, get better pics and then i will update :thumbsup:

Maedze

If you move the hood away, I'd guess you have about an inch and a half of torso growth, which could be a year or two...I'm still incredibly impressed at the size of her torso compared to her overall height!

Raegansmom4

Have you thought of selling one of your other car seats and getting a Regent for your 4 yo? (or just getting a Regent if you have the funds) It would buy you more harnessing time. I just got one for my big 4 yo. My dd's not quite as tall as your dd (I*just* had to move her to the top slots of the Nauti), but I didn't want to pass up the chance to get a Regent before they were gone. I don't want her in a booster until at least 5.5-6, and I was afraid the Nauti wouldn't make it that long. I was afraid she'd take a huge growth spurt and outgrow the GN harness at 5 when I wasn't ready for her in a booster and the Regents would be all gone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC