Why would someone think this is funny?

TheQueenMother

Today we had Thanksgiving at my Mema's with all of the aunts and cousins from that side as well as a few strays that we feed every year. My younger cousin married this year to a girl with a new 3year old. He is a doll and she seems sweet. The wife is expecting and mentioned getting her crib back from a friend so she can get it set up before baby arrives. I reminded her to check for recall as mine was recalled and I believe that it was probably the same crib due to the fact that my DS is slightly younger and both cribs were bought at WM.
Another cousin says "Our kids don't spend enough time in their cribs for that to be a concern" and followed with "Besides not everyone is as crazy about that stuff as you, like car seats and all of that." Then my newly married cousin said, "You'd probably die if you saw A's seat. When we turn a corner, the seat leans all the way down." :eek:
Everyone at the table snickered like that was the funniest thing ever and my mother says "Oh, don't say that to the car seat nazi."
I showed the wife how to install the seat correctly. She was impressed that it did not move. I showed her the tethers in the truck. She was surprised and remarked that she never knew what those were for.
I just don't see the humor that everyone else did. Am I missing something?

ADS

Joyofbirth

I don't get it either, but get made fun of the same way. It's sad. And also makes me mad that they can't accept who I am and will make fun of me. I don't make fun of my cousin who's interested in basae jumping. Or my brother's interest in soccer.

sunnymw

"No, I wouldn't die. But if you hit something at, say 20 miles per hour, she'd probably die."

Awesome way to, uh, stop the laughing at you... quickly... lol! Not nice, of course, though.

simplychels

I honestly think the laughter and meh attitudes like that get me more upset then seeing gross misuse.

Its like those V8 commercials where somebody is saying something dumb and another person just donks em on the head....I wish I could pull that move.

Heather86

"No, I wouldn't die. But if you hit something at, say 20 miles per hour, she'd probably die."

Awesome way to, uh, stop the laughing at you... quickly... lol! Not nice, of course, though.

Sadly that's what I would have said :whistle: and No I don't see the humor in gross misuse and being proud of it.

Kat_Momof3

My heart would probably skip a beat and my eye might twitch... but yeah, I wouldn't die.

Sadly that's what I would have said :whistle: and No I don't see the humor in gross misuse and being proud of it.

I don't either... thank goodness Wife was open to the information!

And yeah, cribs aren't used for that long, but if something is recalled, then that's that! I'd also mention to her that she might (depending on your area) be able to find a great crib (with fixed sides) for a great price on craigslist... you just have to make sure to get the dates, check for any recalls, same as you would with a crib you had used with your own child.

tjham

Yeah, I understand how it feels.

I was recently at my son's house for a party, walked up to a small group and they stopped talking. I looked puzzled, then my son laughed and said something about carseats and they all just looked at me with big smiles on their faces. I said "Yeah, that's my specialty!" and walked away.

Later I asked my son what that was about. He said one of the guys, a cousin (who is a contracter and whose wife is a lawyer) had said something about his little girl's booster. She is 4 1/2. My son said "OH, you better not let my mom hear that or she'll be sending you emails!" The guy said, "She already has."

Yeah, that was a year and an half ago, when she was THREE and they put her in an AirBooster, the WORST choice for a 33 lb 3 year old, (but, you know, the BOX says 30 lbs.) He never responded. I left it at that. But they're still talking about me...

Oh, well. :rolleyes:

cookie123

I get hassled too. Last night at work they said something about the cheesecake arriving in a car seat for me. Truly, I didn't get it.

jsmom

I get made fun of all the time by my DHs family. Stupid comments like " you are going to have her in a carseat until she is 28" and always questioning why I spend the amount I do on DDs safety... I mean seats. Ive learned to just blow them off.

libranbutterfly

I get the bad rap sometimes too, but most have stopped saying anything about it. My MIL did not say a word when I installed a seat RF for my nephew when I was rearranging seats, and I respected their desision and turned the seat back FF :( when putting seats back in proper cars (FF properly installed at least, with the tether, compared to how he came in) when they left. The people I work with now are only beginning to see the car seat obsessed part of me, and thus far have not said anything.

::er!ca::

My inlaws gossip about me all the time, and not in a good way either. My FIL actually thinks I'm "stuck up and think I'm better than everyone else" because of my stance on car seat safety. Whatever. I don't like my inlaws, and I don't care if they like me ;)

I just don't see the humor that everyone else did. Am I missing something?

IMO they're joking about it because they'd hate to ever have to admit that maybe, just maybe, you might be a little teeny bit right about car seat safety. And if they can get themselves and other people to laugh about it, it makes them feel that they're right (no matter what the laws of physics might say)

In short, another case of egos standing guard around ignorance.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC