inexpensive higher weight limit seat?

kangato2roos

Does one exist?

My almost 6 year old dd just hit a growth spurt and finally reached 40 pounds and 42 inches (3 inches in only 6 months... that's a lot for her). She has a 15 inch torso height. We had to take her out of the Graco CarGo harness and pulled out the hb TurboBooster for her. We had it as a spare in my father's car as he would once every month or so pick her up from school. I won't use the CarGo as a booster, I just don't feel she's safe enough in it since the belt guides are on the fabric and don't seem to hold the belt well on her.

I'd really like to keep her harnessed if I can, especially since she's just so small. I'm not so worried about her outgrowing something by height before weight. I know most kids outgrow by height first, but she's just that small (and all leg) I'm sure she'll hit weight first. She does sit well in the booster. She doesn't wiggle around, doesn't bend over, and does not fall asleep in the car even on long trips. She keeps the belt positioned properly and will alert me when something isn't right with the seatbelt (twisted, too loose, etc). She actually cried when I took the harness out of her seat. I know she's techincally mature enough for a booster, but I'd like her harnessed if possible.

I know about the Britax seats, but we've got enough money saved to buy one for my son, but not two. Ds is 16 months old, 19 pounds, 29 inches with a 13 inch torso height. We've saved enough that I can buy him a Britax Marathon next month. He's using a ComfortSport right now, but he's going to outgrow it soon (he has about 1 inch before he hits the '1 inch below the top of the plastic shell' mark). I won't turn him ff even if he was big enough and even if I did, he's almost level with the top slots anyway (I'm not using them rf, but I did take a quick look yesterday to show my dh that yes, he needs a new seat too), so he'd be out of it in the next few months.

I know about the Apex seats, but we don't have adjustable headrests or high seatbacks. I drive a Saturn SL1 with no LATCH and emergency locking seatbelts only (old car, automatic locking belts were options at the time and we just couldn't afford them).

Is there a higher weight limit seat for my dd that costs less than $150-$200? I'm not sure we could even afford that much atm, but I'm willing to try to squeeze it out of the budget.

Sorry for the novel!

ADS

Splash

I would buy your son a less expensive seat and then get one for your daughter. An Uptown will probably buy your son another year RF if not more, and will likely last him until about age four FF. Then get your daughter a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe if she still has room height wise in a Marathon (same seat shell, just not a lot of the extras) or a Radian. The Radian will probably work well in your car since you need to use a locking clip anyway. It's also narrow enough that you might be able to fit them side by side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC