Leapster 2 vs. Leapster L-Max vs. Didj for 5-year-old?

mom2juliarose

DD is tired of her V. Smile system (we have the console and the handheld). I'm thinking of getting her a Leapfrog system for Christmas. She just turned 5. I know the Leapster 2 connects to the internet, and the L-Max connects to the TV... I think I've narrowed it down to those 2 because the Didj games look too old for a 5-year-old.

Which of these would you recommend? What do you have?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do they even make the L-Max anymore? Well, even if they do, my whole point of getting a handheld is so that my TV isn't taken up with games, so we went with the Leapster 2 and Leah plays with it plenty :)

mom2juliarose

Do they even make the L-Max anymore? Well, even if they do, my whole point of getting a handheld is so that my TV isn't taken up with games, so we went with the Leapster 2 and Leah plays with it plenty :)

They do but I think it might be discontinued... the L-Max is actually going to be $30 or $40 at Kohl's on Black Friday.

We have a TV in her room that has the V-Smile connected to it... so if she wanted to connect the L-Max to a TV it would be that one.

Is the stylus on the Leapster 2 still connected with a cord? I couldn't tell from the pictures I saw of it.

mommyof3tx

We have the Leapster 1, Leapster 2 and Didj...for a 5yr old I'd def say the Didj. We got it last year for my then 5 yr old and it's very challenging, but not so much so he doesn't enjoy playing with it. He plays with his brothers Leapster 2...who was 3 when we got it, now 4....and it's just all very easy for him, he still loves the thing but if that's the only one he had he really wouldn't be challenged at all with it.

mom2juliarose

We have the Leapster 1, Leapster 2 and Didj...for a 5yr old I'd def say the Didj. We got it last year for my then 5 yr old and it's very challenging, but not so much so he doesn't enjoy playing with it. He plays with his brothers Leapster 2...who was 3 when we got it, now 4....and it's just all very easy for him, he still loves the thing but if that's the only one he had he really wouldn't be challenged at all with it.

What sort of Didj games do you have?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
have you gotten her any new or more challenging games for the v smile? Dd still loves hers, and honestly, is just now starting to get really get into some of the games....the 4-6 year old games are right abouther level..and the "mastermind" ones or whatever, the ones for 6-8 year olds, are still too hard, since they basically require 1-3rd grade reading ability, which she doesn't have yet.
We're getting the monsters versus aliens game and shrek game for xmas, and possibly also tinkey.....gotta love 1/2 price games....

mom2juliarose

have you gotten her any new or more challenging games for the v smile? Dd still loves hers, and honestly, is just now starting to get really get into some of the games....the 4-6 year old games are right abouther level..and the "mastermind" ones or whatever, the ones for 6-8 year olds, are still too hard, since they basically require 1-3rd grade reading ability, which she doesn't have yet.
We're getting the monsters versus aliens game and shrek game for xmas, and possibly also tinkey.....gotta love 1/2 price games....

I'm trying to think of the top of my head what she has... the Cranium one, Wall-E, Cars, & Kung Fu Panda... before that she had Dora, Bob the Builder & the one that came with it...

Where are the half-price games at? Maybe that's what we need to do--just get her different games. She's been eying the Up game.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
those are mostly 3-5 games, and a couple 4-6 I think...I'm pretty awesome, but I don't have every single game memorized as to which level it is, LOL!!!!!

Meijer has half price on T-day, and walmart and TRU have them 1/2 price on BF, and I think kmart has them b1g1free, so essentially 1/2 price.

I would maybe try a 6-8 one, and the 4-6 should still be fun? I think UP is 4-6.....yep, so is tinkey.....spongebob and cinderella are 6-8.

Evolily

I'd get a didj or a real handheld with learning games. A leapster is fine for a 5 year old, but will be outgrown quicker so it'd be less bang for your buck, kwim?

capeKO71

Yeah - just going to throw it out there... you might want to look at a nintendo ds.

They have some great preschool age games... and honestly, its easier to play I think... the weird thing about the leapster is that age wise, it's great for a 5 year old... but I know my son at 6 doesn't want to play "cars" or "diego".... he's outgrown those shows...even though the math/spelling is appropriate.

steph_s

I have both. In the house my son gravitates towards the regular leapster. Granted he doesn't play it much, but he says it's easier. This may be because he doesn't use it as a hand held he puts it on his lap and it's a tad heavier and wider to fit across his legs. The L max is awesome in the car though! I can hook it to the dvd screen and it makes it so he can play without getting car sick. When he plays just on the leapster he gets sick.

For older kids, defiantly the DS! My 5yo has one, but he still tends to go for the leapster more. The 8yo and 10yo that are in my house regularly wouldn't touch the leapster, but will play the ds for hours! None of my kids liked the Didj, but my friends dd who is 4 likes it better. Then again we gave her ours after the kids didn't like it so she is use to it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC