Need booster recommendations

Mom2FiveGirls

DD#1 recently had a growth spurt and is on the highest setting of her turbo booster (had I known she was going to outgrow it this quickly I would have skipped it all together, but oh well... We need a spare for DH's car anyway...). She is 8 years old (9 in March) 53 inches tall (without shoes) and weighs right at 70 lbs (with clothes and shoes on). I just moved her up to the last setting on the TB so I've got a little time, but what comes next? Size is an issue too... I've got a nautilus in the middle and turbo boosters on each side in that row (and moving her to the second row isn't an option because neither of the seats we have in the 2nd row will fit beside the nautilus and we have to leave one seat folded up for access to the third row). The turbo booster barely fits... So are there any other seats that are taller but not wider than the TB?

ADS

Kat_Momof3

the Recaro Vivo goes a bit taller... but it may not give her the hip and shoulder room she needs (it's about the same width on the OUTSIDE as the turbobooster but narrower on the INSIDE... and doesn't have the leg room (it's not very deep in the seat area) she wants

She's old enough to be fine in a backless booster, but I have to admit I'd love to be able to rearrange seats so she could have a Monterey like my son who is almost exactly the same height (he's 55" tall and about 75lbs)

Mom2FiveGirls

There are no head rests in the back, so a backless won't work, will it?

Here is the current arrangement... DD#4 (4 years old, 35 lbs, 39ish inches) is in a Nautilus in the second row behind the drivers seat. DD#5 (28.5 months, 28 lbs, 34ish inches (Its been several weeks since I measured her and DD#4's height, so they may be a little taller)) is RFing in a MR in the second row center. DD#2 (7.5 years old, 53 lbs, 48.5 inches) is in a turbo booster in the third row passenger side seat. DD#3 (5.5 years old, 37 lbs, 44 inches) is in the third row center in a nautilus. DD#1 (stats above) is currently on the drivers side in the third row in a TB. I can't figure out any way to change them around so the boostered kids have a lap and shoulder belt (middle seats are lap belt only) and she'd have more room. Well, without buying even more seats that I can't afford...I just bought 5 new ones a little over a month ago...wish I had thought it through a little more now...). The MR won't fit RFing in the 3rd row and I really don't want her back there because buckling her in will be a challenge for me. I haven't actually tried, but I don't think the other nautilus will fit in the third row where DD#1's turbo booster is. The TB barely fits completely on the seat (and actually DD#2's TB hangs over the side of the seat a little bit..). And I know the nautilus requires the entire base to be on the seat. I'll try and see if I can get the other nautilus back there, but I'm pretty sure it won't work...it would be wonderful if it did because then DD#1 could use a backless booster in the second row drivers side seat because there is a headrest for that seat.

Mom2FiveGirls

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but if I had to, I could put DD#1 in the second row passenger side seat (that's currently folded down) in a backless booster and just fold the seat up every time we loaded/unloaded so the girls could get to the third row. Not ideal, but it could be done.

Kat_Momof3

or they can walk through the middle...

and I would rather her not have enough head support than have that lapbelt be too high...

but ideally, yes, backless or highback, I'd try to be able to put her in the 2nd row.

I would still really try to swing a highback as long as possible just from having seen all the scary crashtests from transport Canada... but it's whatever will work best for you guys.

Mom2FiveGirls

or they can walk through the middle...

and I would rather her not have enough head support than have that lapbelt be too high...

but ideally, yes, backless or highback, I'd try to be able to put her in the 2nd row.

I would still really try to swing a highback as long as possible just from having seen all the scary crashtests from transport Canada... but it's whatever will work best for you guys.

Well, they'd have to climb over the seat and with dirty/muddy shoes, I'd rather just move the seat.

We should be able to get a new seat after Christmas, so I'm planning to take a trip to Babies R Us and/or Buy Buy Baby with her to try out new seats. That way we can play around with all the seats and see what will work and what won't. Hopefully she won't grow too much between now and then. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC