Will a Radian always take up more room, front-back, than a TF? (and have you installed a Radian in an MDX?)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Just wondering if anyone has installed a Radian in the same space, front to back, as a TF? And I don't mean a TF at 45°, I mean a TF at 35°. Because I think the Radian shell is taller? I know installs differ between vehicles, I am just trying to get an idea if this is commonly possible or not.

Last edited:
ADS

MOM25BOYS

Re: Will a Radian always take up more room, front to back, than a TF?

I installed my new RNXT in the same spot I had my TF and the RN took up a smidge more room than the TF did. Not so much with how far back my seat went, but I had to make my seat back more upright than with my TF. Could just be my vehicle, but yeah it did take up more room with me.:p

shybearsmommie

Mine took up a couple more inches than the TF but not much at all, maybe an inch or two which i think is odd cuz the TF seems bigger to me.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

Frick, this is what I suspected and we really have no more room. DH is sitting as upright as he can be and more forward than he likes already. Although our vehicle seats have quite a contoured back (like a front seat where the side bolsters come forward of the back) so maybe, just maybe the Radian would sit nicely between the bolsters and not need the extra room (any larger seat the TF or MR rests on the side bolsters so there is some space in front of the seat).

Anyone installed a new boot Radian successfully as upright as a TF or Marathon, outboard in a 2nd generation MDX (07+)? If not outboard, how about centre?

babygirlsmom1005

You can see in this pic (kinda) a Radian RF'ing and then a TF RF'ing (the last one)

IMG_5772.jpg

In my suburban, they take up about the same amount of room....the Radian maybe a little less because when I had the TFP behind the drivers seat, I had to have the drivers seat back strait up and down and don't have to do that with the RAXT

Nisha

I think it depends on the car as far as how upright you can get the radian. In my van, the radian takes up more room than the TF because I can NOT get the radian as upright as I want, but it's not a LOT of difference.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, good to know that *if* the vehicle affords a more upright install, it can take up the same amount of room as the TF (or even slightly less). So, it all boils down to whether or not this beast can be installed more upright in my vehicle. I could not do it with the old style boot Radian but the new boot could make a difference.

Thanks so much everyone, the pics were especially helpful.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC