Vent Minor accident - have to replace car seats

twin momma

:mad:

Entirely my fault. Very minor accident, but I still have to discard the carseats. I already have a couple of Radian XT SLs that I was planning on swapping my EFTAs out with so I could fit three across so that isn't a problem. I am just very annoyed that I now need to destroy these. I was planning on doing something with them (sister, mom, husband... they all need car seats for their cars). Insurance company will replace them as part of my claim, but it's looking l am not going to need to make a claim to fix my car and the cost of the seats is less than my $500 deductible.

I am very grateful, however, that despite my having been distracted, that my babies are fine and no one else was injured.

ADS

twin momma

amyd - that's a thought! My nephew uses EFTA for his daughter... I was thinking of letting him have the covers as spares. Never thought of selling them.

MJB

Glad everyone is ok. Sucks about the carseats for sure.

I was talking to a friend of mine who's husband hit a deer with their carseats in the back of the car. The kids were not in it, luckily, but her insurance said that they (as in some safety commity, not her insurance) changed the "rule" about replacing seats in an accident. Since the seats didn't have any weight bearing in them, they are safe to reuse. When I was researching 3 years ago I thought this didn't matter as long as it met other criteria. Such as: person was injured, car was totaled, airbags deployed, ect...

In speaking to my friend, none of these criteria were met, but the note she got said they wouldn't replace seats because there were not children riding in them. Anyone know the "requirement" for insurances to have to replace seats?

Tx.

NannyMom

I was talking to a friend of mine who's husband hit a deer with their carseats in the back of the car. The kids were not in it, luckily, but her insurance said that they (as in some safety commity, not her insurance) changed the "rule" about replacing seats in an accident. Since the seats didn't have any weight bearing in them, they are safe to reuse. When I was researching 3 years ago I thought this didn't matter as long as it met other criteria. Such as: person was injured, car was totaled, airbags deployed, ect...

In speaking to my friend, none of these criteria were met, but the note she got said they wouldn't replace seats because there were not children riding in them. Anyone know the "requirement" for insurances to have to replace seats?

Tx.

The requirement for replacing seats is according to the manufacturer. Almost every one says to replace after any crash. Britax says it needs to be replaced if any of the following happened: Airbags deployed, someone was injured, the car was not drivable, there was damage to the door closest to the carseat.

However, rules for insurance replacing the seat may vary by state. I've heard in CA that insurance is required to replace the seat, unless they were not occupied. But from reading here, it is not uncommon to have to fight with an insurance company to pay for seat replacement. And then some companies will just cut a check right away.

Raegansmom4

Tx.

I was in a minor accident a little over a year ago (other driver at fault). Her insurance only paid for the 1 seat that was occupied - a snugride. Luckily, the accident was minor enough to meet Britax's criteria so I could keep my MA (the unoccupied seat). When I asked her insurance about my MA, they said they only replace occupied seats. Boo.

Jonah Baby

I've found it also depends on the insurance company itself and who's company is paying for it, ya know?

Good luck!
You might have an easier time getting three across with new seat choices!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC