So we're the proud new owners... (now with pics!)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
of a red SK Monterey. :thumbsup:

We took DS out today and had him sit in the Monterey, the Parkway (SG) and a TurboBooster. He dismissed the TB immediately. :rolleyes: He checked them all out for cupholders. :rolleyes: He wanted to know where the straps were. ;) He liked that they reclined and were good "sleeping seats" (not that he often sleeps in the car anyway. :confused:) He said the Monterey and Parkway were the same, so DH convinced him the Monterey was better (since it was cheaper. :rolleyes:)

It was on sale for $99 (Cdn,) but it's a year old already. Not too bad, right? :eek:

Haven't had a chance to try it in the car yet. The whole shopping excursion was a little whirlwind for my liking. :thumbsdown: Tomorrow I will play. :thumbsup:

ADS

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Re: So we're the proud new owners...

Post some pic's when you can. My DD is 4 also but hasn't outgrown the harness in the Frontier so thankfully we havn't had to cross the booster path yet.

horseymom

where did you get a monterey for $99 ?? I thinking about what booster to get DD in the next 6 months and I'm leaning towards the M

unityco

where did you get a monterey for $99 ?? I thinking about what booster to get DD in the next 6 months and I'm leaning towards the M

Safety Superstore :thumbsup: (Their website has been spotty the last few days though.) Regularly $169, so I thought the discount was good for one year lost. :shrug-shoulders:

canadiangie

$99 is a great deal!! Even if it is a year old, and that red is such a nice pattern. :)

He's young, but enormous IIRC. Are you booster training him for while?

Kat_Momof3

just from his pic in your avatar, that is one broad-shouldered boy... I think the MOnterey is the best choice... and from cupholder perspective, it has THE BEST ones... deep and come out even when a kid sits in the seat while pulling them out. (they don't matter, but hey, kids like it)

and that's a great price even if it were the US for only 1yr old!

unityco

He's young, but enormous IIRC. Are you booster training him for while?

Yeah, he is a big boy (47" ~50lbs. :eek:) He's pretty much maxed out the Radian, but still has a little room in the Nautilus. I'll be keeping him in the Nautilus primarily, but wanted another seat so I wouldn't have to switch between vehicles all the time. I also thought it would be prudent to start training him (since his next growth spurt could put him out of the Nautilus pretty quickly. :rolleyes:)

He used a booster *very* sparingly this summer while we were on vacation (we were stuck in a lot of last-minute carpool situations, :eek:) and it was interesting to see his range of behaviour. He was perfect when he was the only child in the car, but needed constant correction when he was riding with his close-aged cousins (he was too excited - thankfully we only did that once.) I think he'll need a lot of experience before he can be trusted in it full-time. :eek:

I'm glad the price sounds good to others too! :D

unityco

Hmmm. Total weirdness. I just took the Monterey out of its packaging and found a Britax chest clip in it. :confused: The box and packaging appeared completely unopened though. :scratcheshead:

monstah

Hmmm. Total weirdness. I just took the Monterey out of its packaging and found a Britax chest clip in it. :confused: The box and packaging appeared completely unopened though. :scratcheshead:

Someone (customer / employee) may have just slipped it in where the box isn't taped up. That's where I put gift receipts, etc.

I can't wait to see pics. I always love his glasses. ;)

unityco

Alright, here's the photos (finally!) :p

First, his last two photos in the Radian (sorry they're not the same size: ) ▼

DSC00433-1.jpg
IMG_0251m.jpg

Here's how his shoulders are sitting (the picture doesn't do a great job of showing the angle. I think the straps are going up and over though. :eek:) ▼

IMG_0253.jpg

An here he is in the Monterey: ▼

IMG_0259.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg

The lap belt fit: ▼

IMG_0264.jpg

The shoulder belt trajectory: ▼

IMG_0263.jpg

Good fit? :)

unityco

Someone (customer / employee) may have just slipped it in where the box isn't taped up. That's where I put gift receipts, etc.

I can't wait to see pics. I always love his glasses. ;)

LOL, there's lots of glasses in this bunch. ;)

The chest clip was also *inside* the packing bag though. :confused:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd raise the headrest a notch just to see if it makes the shoulder belt fit a smidge better while still containing his head. Just compare the two and see which you prefer, yk? :thumbsup:

unityco

I'd raise the headrest a notch just to see if it makes the shoulder belt fit a smidge better while still containing his head. Just compare the two and see which you prefer, yk? :thumbsup:

What improvement do you think needs to be made? Do you think it's too close to the outside of his shoulder (so raising the headrest would bring it closer to his neck?) :)

firemomof3

Yes, hopefully if you raise the headrest the shoulder portion of the seat belt will be closer to his neck, it just seems like it could slip off pretty easily if he moved. I had the same problem with my dd1 & the Monterey. She is so skinny that the shoulder belt just didn't fit right.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yes, moving it up should make it cross his collarbone more centered. It's something I learned from Ulrike - I said something about a pic she'd posted and the headrest needing to go down a notch, and she said she had it that way on purpose because after reading the most recent booster study, she wanted the shoulder belt to fit better.

I realized after that that I tend to try to make the headrest centered around the kid's head instead of paying attention to where the shoulder belt rests - and really, the shoulder belt fitting best is more important. :)

unityco

That's an awesome mustache he has ;)!

Isn't it? :p (I love that Photobucket feature, lol :thumbsup:) Maybe I should get him raising some money for Movember. ;)

ETA: He had a fit when he saw what I had done to his photos, lol. :eek:

Last edited:

ginny4

i agree the shoulder belt looks like it would slip off. you can see it in the last pic where he's turned his body a lil bit that the belt looks like it has slipped to his arm rather than styaing on the shoulder. that's my problem as well with my DD. hopefully raising the headrest would solve the problem. it made it a better fit for my DD but she still had way too much wiggle room that if she'd lean to the side she'd be out of the belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC