Chest clip issues....

Shaunam

DD's scoliosis is getting worse and causing her front to stick out as well. You can see it here:

0813090850b.jpg

That was a few months ago and it's much, much worse now. I would post a new pic, but honestly it's just upsetting to see. :( You guys get the idea though.

So her chest clip is digging into this bone and it does NOT look comfy. I can't tighten the straps properly because I'm afraid of hurting her. This all became an issue in the last WEEK. She hasn't ridden in the car in a week. A week ago it was not a problem. Now it's a problem. Crazy fast progress. :thumbsdown:

So do I just put it lower, between that bone and her tube? Take it off entirely?

I'll call graco monday, though I have a feeling they might not be very helpful since 1) It's hard to tell what I'm talking about without seeing it and 2) I'm sure they won't want to advise me to use the seat differently than the manual states. I have to do something though. WWYD?

ADS

ame0312

id probably take it off... from my understanding if the straps are tight enough it should be fine... :twocents:

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i would also take it off in your situation. i'd just make sure the straps are nice and snug...obviously.

jess71903

Ambassador
Agreed- take it off. I would never ever tell the parent on the street to do that, but we all know that you know how to properly tighten a harness. :)

tiggercat

She normally leans to one side in the seat though, if you take it off, will the straps stay on her shoulders? That is my only concern about taking off the clip.

simplychels

would that be clause for legally being able to import a foreign seat that didnt require chest clips?

im not fully aware of the engineering on the foreign seats, but do they not have chest clips because the harness straps are maybe closer together then ours at the shoulders, which means the chest clip isnt "needed" to keep the straps at the shoulders?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't think importing a seat is the best solution at this time for this family. :twocents:

I agree with taking it off, as long as she can stay properly positioned. No, removing the chest clip is not a technically acceptable solution. Special circumstances call for special solutions.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I normally have no problem with removing a chest clip in general, but I do worry about it in Charlie's case. I know the MR corrects her lean, but does the scoliosis draw her shoulder down on the side she leans toward, and/or will the uneven chest rise cause the harness to be looser on one side is what I'm wondering. (Not sure I explained that well)

You could try taking the chest clip off and see what happens. You could also try moving the chest clip UP, to just below her collarbone, to get it on a flatter part of her ribcage.

simplychels

I don't think importing a seat is the best solution at this time for this family. :twocents:

I agree with taking it off, as long as she can stay properly positioned. No, removing the chest clip is not a technically acceptable solution. Special circumstances call for special solutions.
it was more of a general question. still learning everything know ya?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Those approvals are pretty hard to get -- my best guess is that this would not qualify, since she CAN use a standard US seat, even if it hurts her. :(

Shaunam

She sits VERY straight in the MR so I don't think it would be too much of a problem. I can always roll blankets to put on either side of her. But I will just try it and see what happens.

I'm not sure now that her scoliosis actually got worse. I think maybe since she lost more weight, it makes the bones appear to stick our further, but maybe not really? I don't think she's curving more, but she's definitely having more problems from pressure on those areas. She had red-purplish marks up her back (on her vertebrae) the other day from sitting in her chair for 20 minutes. :thumbsdown:

0831091501a.jpg

I'll take pics once I get her up in it today and you all can tell me what you think.

Jennifer mom to my 7

That myride really does fit her sooo great. Could you put something under the chest clip, to cushion it a bit. There was a lady that was having issues with her infant seat and infant with an umbilical hernia. What worked was a small gelpac under the buckle, so that it didn't rest on his belly there. But, it does also look like taking it off wouldn't change the fit much. She looks so cozy in there.

Kat_Momof3

this is a very rare circumstance... so I'd simply remove the chest clip and not worry... heck, we know Graco straps are not too far apart to have the straps go off her shoulders... so I'd have no qualms removing it for a child in this instance.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think maybe since she lost more weight, it makes the bones appear to stick our further, but maybe not really?

That makes sense. When Danny was at his thinnest a couple of years ago, I ended up taking the chest clip off the RN because he was so thin that it was causing him a lot of pain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC