2003 Chevrolet Venture 7 Passenger Van

Mommy2Marcus

So...I was wondering if anyone owns this van. If so how do you like it? Does it drive well? How do seats install? How many sets of LATCH & TA's are there & where are they?

This is the van I am interested in that the car lot I have been approved at has. The van looks to be in really good condition, only has 78K miles on it & is within our price range. I have also researched it & it seems to have really good crash test ratings on it. Here is a link to the lot I am looking at & the van is on the 1st page & is the 1st listing.
http://www.fultondaleautosales.com/inventory.htm

Here is the link to the crash test ratings. Do these look good? It got mostly 4 stars for the frontal & side impact.
http://www.automotive.com/2003/12/chevrolet/venture/crash-tests/index.html

I also like that it would leave me plenty of room to keep Marcus RF as well as plenty of room for our next child & then have room to have friends with us as Marcus & the next child get older. I am just really interested to hear how others like it. If we buy this we will have it for quite awhile to come. I am also really liking the milage on it. It is lower than most of the others I am interested in. So....tell me the good, the bad & the ugly of this vehicle.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have a 2001 Venture and it's a death trap. :( It's great for installing seats in though (I have modular seating, with 5 TAs).

Mommy2Marcus

I have a 2001 Venture and it's a death trap. :( It's great for installing seats in though (I have modular seating, with 5 TAs).

How is it a death trap?? Explain this to me a little more please. Is it just not a good make, have alot of problems?? The crash ratings look good. Are they wrong?? Just looking for more information.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I thought we had linked you to the IIHS crash ratings for the Venture in your earlier thread but I could be confusing you with other car shoppers who were considering a Venture or essentially similar GM minivan models. :eek: ETA: Nope, we did link you in your other thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=103047 The Venture and its GM corporate sibling models have IIHS frontal offset crash ratings of "Poor" which is the lowest possible rating and frankly scary enough that we try to alert potential buyers of the whole picture, and not just look at NHTSA's scores. :eek: Here's the IIHS crash test details for the Venture and its other GM sibling minivan models: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=67 It's important to look at NHTSA and IIHS scores because their crash tests are complementary and paint a more complete picture of a vehicle in terms of safety.

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks Jeanum & Chickabiddy. I am sorry as I did not realize that the Pontiac & the Chevy were in the same class. When I was told before that the Pontiac was bad, I decided against it. I just somehow missed that the Venture was in the same class as that one. I will not go for it.

As for what else there is, I am trying to stay with this lot that I have been approved at. They have a few other vehicles I am considering, so I will look more into those now. So...this is why I am asking what I am asking.

For the record I just want to say I love my 2003 Pontiac Montana which is the sister to the Venture. I love the Captains Chairs which are perfect for the kids and the cargo room and the flip down 3rd row seats. Its great for long trips as well. I would recommend my van to anyone looking for a good family vehicle. It gets 22 mpg local and 25 mpg hiway and is the safest van I have driven (used to own a 1996 and 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's good to know you're happy with your van's features. :) Anecdotal owner testimonials aside, though, since this forum is the Car Safety forum, the GM minivans' IIHS crash test results are a big red flag of concern for the original poster as she researches a vehicle purchase. There are alternative models that are more worthy contenders safety-wise and within her budget.

R&J'sMom

As for what else there is, I am trying to stay with this lot that I have been approved at. They have a few other vehicles I am considering, so I will look more into those now. So...this is why I am asking what I am asking.

How about getting a loan from your bank or credit union? That way you won't be limited to choosing from a small inventory from one car dealership.

April

The youtube videos of the frontal offset crash tests on the Venture/Montana are absolutely terrifying. :(

ETA: This is a 1997 model [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k01OWycYTig"]YouTube- GM U-Body Crash Test (with music)[/ame]

This is a 2001: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKRAQTrcfjU&feature=related"]YouTube- 2001 Chevy Venture Offset Crash[/ame]

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The youtube videos of the frontal offset crash tests on the Venture/Montana are absolutely terrifying. :(

Yes. Yes they are. I'm happy I cut my driving down from 400 miles/week to under 50, but still it freaks me out :(. I'm counting the months (7!) until we get that Pilot...

Mommy2Marcus

How about getting a loan from your bank or credit union? That way you won't be limited to choosing from a small inventory from one car dealership.

It's not possible. I do not qualify. As it is with this lot, I am having to have a co-signer. I did find another lot that may work for us, but DH will not be happy to have our credit pulled yet again. KWIM? B/C everytime you have your credit pulled, the score goes down. So......I really am trying to stay with this lot. They have a few new vehicles that have come in & he said he would work with us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC