I wanted to scream..........

nursekori

okay, so I'm in traffic today at a stoplight. I casually look around at the other cars and a ff carseat catches my eye, there was no kid in it and I was looking to see what kind it was...(you all have infected me like that!:p ) anyway I couldn't tell what kind it was and I just happened to see a "little head" sticking out from the FRONT SEAT. The mother was chatting away at what looked to be a 3 or 4 y/o riding in the FRONT SEAT WITH NO SEATBELT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This car also had an airbag on the passengers side (one you cannot 'turn off') I was soooo mad:mad: :mad: :mad: I couldn't help but stare at her and her poor child sitting there in the front seat with no seatbelt. I prayed that nothing would happen to them on their way to their destination. I wrote down the make/model of her car and her license plate...can I take any action here and call CPS or the HP? I'm just curious. Parents who do this make me furious:mad:

ADS

scatterbunny

:( :( :(

I hate seeing things like this, too. And it happens all-too-often. Of all the kindergarten classmates of dd's that I see get dropped off at school or being driven around town with their parents, only ONE of those kids is in a booster seat, and most are allowed to ride up front. :(

I am to the point where I'm going to start calling the cops and reporting it when I witness it. I think my first step will be to ask her teacher if she will put the 5-step test booster flyer in everyone's cubby to be sent home to parents. If that doesn't happen I'm going to give that flyer to the parents I DO come in contact with, and if a couple weeks go by and the kids are still riding unsafely (and against the law in my state), I'll be calling them in.

lovinwaves

Yes Kori you can. This just happened to me the other day actually. Call *55 on your cell phone. Give them the all the information. The Highway Patrol will make a phone call to the driver and alert them of their illegal activity, and about CPS laws in Missouri. Remind me to tell you about my story next time I see you in person.

nursekori

I will definitely do that. Thanks for the info. I'm still thinking about that poor little boy. how sad that he has no advocate in his life FOR his life:( makes me feel very good to know that you all are here for those of us with questions. It also makes me feel good to know that Ellie is in a nice, safe seat :) :)

sme84118

Here in Salt Lake County we have a 1800 number we can call and give that info and they will send them a reminder about car seats.

lovinwaves

I just wanted to add that you remain anonymous. They did ask for my first name *only*, but didn't ask for a call back number. She said she needed my name to prove in her files that she actually talked to someone.

napua

Things like that make me so very sad. Just the other day there was a nice Volvo beside me at the light that caught my eye. I looked over only to see two little girls about 2 and 4 years old in the backseat w/o carseats and only using the seatbelt. Not even a booster.:( I just do not understand why people don't care about the safety of their children more.

savdoc2

Yes Kori you can. This just happened to me the other day actually. Call *55 on your cell phone. Give them the all the information. The Highway Patrol will make a phone call to the driver and alert them of their illegal activity, and about CPS laws in Missouri. Remind me to tell you about my story next time I see you in person.

Thanks for the info. I see this all the time in NW Missouri (we are north of St Joe). I never knew what to do or how to do it. I should have figured it out before though since I am a mandatory reporter of abuse - and in my opinion this could be considered abuse.

lovinwaves

Thanks for the info. I see this all the time in NW Missouri (we are north of St Joe). I never knew what to do or how to do it. I should have figured it out before though since I am a mandatory reporter of abuse - and in my opinion this could be considered abuse.

Cool! You are about 30 minutes from me!!! Are you near Savannah?

Jacques

Kori, I see that around St. Louis from time to time...yeah, it's getting pretty annoying for me to see how reckless parents are these days. However, one day my Dad did muse that when we were kids (in the Philippines), car seats were non-existent back then, and we sat anywhere we wanted. It wouldn't surprise me if that kind of thing goes on out there much more than it does here.

BTW, say hi to that loser Prelude owner of a hubby for me. :p

nursekori

Kori, I see that around St. Louis from time to time...yeah, it's getting pretty annoying for me to see how reckless parents are these days. However, one day my Dad did muse that when we were kids (in the Philippines), car seats were non-existent back then, and we sat anywhere we wanted. It wouldn't surprise me if that kind of thing goes on out there much more than it does here.

BTW, say hi to that loser Prelude owner of a hubby for me. :p

OMG, James! I am soooo embarassed that I am JUST now seeing your post!! That is the coolest thing ever that you are a member of this board! I am constantly preaching to Erik why we need to be so diligent in CPS and now he can take me seriously since a friend of his is on the boards, too!! :) We are now the proud owners of an Onyx Regent and a Platinum MA- He about fell over with the prices of the seats, but we both know they are worth every penny! Good to hear from you and again, sorry for the late reply:eek: Kori

Jacques

Well, we ended up getting a Graco SnugRide for Rohan and we're happy with it so far. I may have to get some advice when he graduates above that one. :) Good to hear from you back, Kori...finally. :p

BuckeyezRule

Hey, sme, where ya at in Salt Lake county? I'm there too. =)

I'm from Ohio (shock, due to my moniker LOL) & I have called 911 to report blatant dangerous actions like that. I know that may seem a bit extreme, but a child's safety is worth that, IMO. I was behind a woman who's kid was jumping all around, I call 911, & w/in a few blocks, I saw a police car pull up beside her & put his lights on to pull her over. Some will bash me & say 911 is for emergencies, which it is. Maybe I'll program the local non emergency police number in my phone. LOL Def. report her! She might drive forever & never hurt her child, but, you never know, & better safe than sorry. =)

broken4u05

Yesterday i saw a person driving around and at first i saw one small head in the front looked about 4 but when i looked again he had a child on his lap about 1 or 2 years maybe. If i was not with all 3 of my godchildren i would have called the cops and followed but i didnt want to scare them and all.

chasingboys

I see this ALL THE TIME. It drives me so crazy! I guess I just don't get how parents just don't care, or think it's okay for their kids to be unsafe. Everytime I say something, 1/4 are thankful for the information, the other 3/4 become hostile or roll their eyes at me!

chickenman

i agree for kids that young to not even be in car seats, is like saying the parent doesnt want them to live. But a lot of people feel there car is safe, or it wont happen to them. it scares me to think of a tahoe broadsiding my sedan, and what would happen. but i just drive the best i can, and take confidence in the fact that my daughters car seat is installed correctly.

Erika Ruth

My 3 year old saw an 8-10 year old sitting in the front seat. She asked me why he was there, and when does she get to sit up there?

I told her, that he was ONLY there waiting for someone (they were in a parking lot).

And she could not ride up there until she was grown up.

It is funny how my daughter noticed it, and knew it just was "off"

Erika

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC