Radian arrived today :/

Waterlily

and while I like it for the most part, Im not happy about how the crotch strap is already tight on DS (3.5). He is a skinny little guy but still is having issues with his parts gettin squished lol. He just fits in the MA and I was hoping the Radian would be better but no such luck

I dont know what other options that leaves us....both the Regent and the Apex are too wide for my car

ADS

Waterlily

I have a 2005 Odyssey.....in the 3rd row I have my 9 yr old and my 6 yr old (in a booster)
in the second row I have my 3.5 yr old, my 8 mth old and my 12 yr old.....There is a very slight chance I may be able to squeeze my 6 yr old in the middle of the 2 car seats in the second row but Im not sure (the Apex was realllly tight...I dont know if the Regent is more or less wide)

Jordynsmama

That was my concern with my 4.3 yr old daughter. Do u think its because he's a boy or else it would be fine? Or it's just not made to suit older kids as well, without it being really snug...have u tried the apex? Because that crotch strap was tight on my daughter and I was wondering if the radian was better than that, if you might know.

LuvBug

I just wanted to add what I did to Jordynsmama's thread. The crotch strap should come out from under them in order to work best. It shouldnt be infront of them, but can be 'right at' them. Also a shorter strap helps keep the buckle off the soft belly and the thigh straps over the thighs instead of hips.
So maybe knowing this it will help??

With a boy it is more difficult, and sometimes the strap is just too tight/short. Sometimes with a boy if there is a crotchpad it helps.
The regent it pretty much the same width as the apex. Maybe you could put the regent in the 3rd row and one of the boys in the boosters in the 2nd?

Dillipop

Does he have problems with the crotch strap in the marathon? The radian's is definitely a bit longer and can be moved out further than the marathons crotch strap. We have both and I am positive the marathons would be more likely to bother my son than the radian would. He hasn't had any problems with either, though.

Are you using the belly pad the radian came with? It might help keep the buckle off of his parts?

tchrgrrl

Did he complain about it or does it just look smooshed? And if he complained did you ask why it was squished? I ask because my 4 year old will occasionally tell me his parts are being hurt in his Regent but it is because his stuff is, uh, at attention :eek: :eek: :eek:

Waterlily

"stuff at attention" LOL
He didnt complain about the Radian but it doesnt have any more room than the MA (Which he did complain about)

Im thinking maybe I can put a regent in the 3rd row, even though Id have to climb back there to strap him in/take him out (which is why Id rather have him in the 2nd row)

hmm, there has got to be a way to fit a regent, ma and a booster in the second row.....

scatterbunny

He's also at an age where he can learn to buckle and unbuckle himself. My dd began doing that at 3.5 years old. She always wears the same coat in the car (thin fleece) so we don't need to loosen and tighten all the time.

If you have an older kid in back, too, they can help make sure he's snug.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
This may not be the issue you're having, but... we ordered a Radian that arrived last week. When I sat Nolan in it, the crotch strap was unbelievably short. To make a long story short, it was somehow bunched up/folded/stuck under the seat, so I yanked and got several more inches. Again, this may not be your issue, but after doing that, the crotch strap was fine for Nolan. He is having trouble in the Marathon, however.

broken4u05

i very big 4 and a half year old fits fine with it and does not say anything about it smashing him.. I noticed it tight so i moved it out once so that should be alittle better but it didnt hurt him even on the middle one.. Maybe it is cought somewhere?

granolamama

I have a 2005 Odyssey.....in the 3rd row I have my 9 yr old and my 6 yr old (in a booster)
in the second row I have my 3.5 yr old, my 8 mth old and my 12 yr old.....There is a very slight chance I may be able to squeeze my 6 yr old in the middle of the 2 car seats in the second row but Im not sure (the Apex was realllly tight...I dont know if the Regent is more or less wide)

If the Radian doesn't work out, could you put the 3yo and the 12yo outboard in the 2nd row, and the 8mo on the +1 seat? Or the 6yo, 9yo, and 12yo in the 3rd row, and remove the +1 seat to allow access to the 3rd row? I'm assuming that if you have the +1 seat in, you need either your 12yo or 9yo in one of the 2nd row outboard seats, so that you can move it forward to access the 3rd row? The Regent is wide, and would have to go in a 2nd row captain's chair or 3rd row outboard, and you would probably not be able to fit 3 across in the 3rd row if the Regent was there. (It fits 3rd row center, but doesn't leave much room for anyone to sit on either side of it.) Also, if you put it outboard 3rd row, I don't think you'll be able to tether it. Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I have a 2005 EX-L model, but I only have to fit 4 kids in it.

By the way, how does the Radian install in the Odyssey? Have you installed it with the seatbelt, or LATCH?

Waterlily

If the Radian doesn't work out, could you put the 3yo and the 12yo outboard in the 2nd row, and the 8mo on the +1 seat? Or the 6yo, 9yo, and 12yo in the 3rd row, and remove the +1 seat to allow access to the 3rd row? I'm assuming that if you have the +1 seat in, you need either your 12yo or 9yo in one of the 2nd row outboard seats, so that you can move it forward to access the 3rd row? The Regent is wide, and would have to go in a 2nd row captain's chair or 3rd row outboard, and you would probably not be able to fit 3 across in the 3rd row if the Regent was there. (It fits 3rd row center, but doesn't leave much room for anyone to sit on either side of it.) Also, if you put it outboard 3rd row, I don't think you'll be able to tether it. Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I have a 2005 EX-L model, but I only have to fit 4 kids in it.

By the way, how does the Radian install in the Odyssey? Have you installed it with the seatbelt, or LATCH?

hmm...I dont think I can fit 3 kids in the 3rd row (especially with my DD in a booster still)....I'll have to try and fit the regent outboard 2nd row, ma center 2nd row and 12 yr old outboard 2nd row (but Im thinking the regent and the ma next to one another may make the ma off center since the +1 seat is so tiny......anyone try this?)

Why can't you tether the regent if its 3rd row? I haven't checked yet but I thought there was a tether back there

granolamama

Why can't you tether the regent if its 3rd row? I haven't checked yet but I thought there was a tether back there

On the '05 model there is only a tether anchor for the center seating position. It's located near the tailgate latch. So, if you tether from an outboard seating position the tether will be off-center. Not being a tech, I don't know if that's bad or not. I gather that it would at least be better to use a seating position that has the anchor directly behind. Apparently the '04 had the option to add 3rd row outboard tether anchors, and the '06 has that option, but the '05 doesn't. Stupid Honda! :(

-Helen

Schwa

FWIW, When I have to buckle up a kid in my Ody, I open the rear lift-gate and stand inside, then lean over the seat to buckle them. Much more convenient for me than slithering into the back row!

kfelaco

I have an '03 Odyssey and we own a Radian, Parkway, and a Boulevard. I did try to fit all 3 in the 3rd row-NO WAY was that happening! :) The bases were just too big to get access to the buckles.

As far as the rear tether anchors, I had my Honda dealer install an extra one in the outboard position, so I could have the Radian tethered outboard. The Radian is pretty difficult to install in the 3rd row though-I end up having to twist the buckle stalk once, and straighten up the seatback slightly to get a nice, tight fit. It installs fantastic with LATCH in the 2nd row captain's chairs, if that's an option available to you.

And my 4 yo DD (39#, 38") rides in the Radian and she's never complained about the crotch. Then again, she doesn't have "family jewels" to get in the way! LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC