Tether Anchor Part No. for Old Volvo

U

Unregistered

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a part number for tether anchors for a 1985 Volvo 240 Wagon. I am considering buying this car but obviously want to make sure my kiddos would be secure. Thank you for helping!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

According to the 2009 LATCH manual, the part is no longer available for 240 wagons older than 1989. The 2007 manual has the same info, so it's been unavailable for a few years now.

U

Unregistered

Do you think there is any chance in getting a good install on a car like this (w/o tether)? These are some of the most rock solid cars and I was happy to find one in good condition that would safe for us to drive around in. Now I am faced with no tether anchors and I don't know if this would be okay or not... If I could get a good install without them, I wouldn't feel bad...

Any input?

U

Unregistered

Could you see if there is a part number for a 1990 Volvo 240? Sorry to be a pain...

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No problem. :) No idea on the install ease in the '85 or other models, other than to say that the tether anchor isn't the means by which to make a loose carseat installation a solid one. There needs to be less than 1 inch of movement at the carseat's belt path to be considered a good installation before top tethering a forward facing carseat, or else it's not a proper install. I'd much prefer to be able to tether a forward facing harnessed seat because it serves to reduce head excursion in a crash, the amount the child's head moves forward/beyond the carseat's protective shell, and would try to forgo a car that isn't equipped with tether anchors or retrofittable if possible when purchasing a vehicle. While Volvo tends to be ahead of the curve with safety, newer models also tend to have improved safety features in general. :twocents:

According to the LATCH manual, the '90 240 wagon's tether anchor part number is 3525051-3, called a "tether hook kit," and there are 3 tether anchor points on the back of the seat. If it's a '90 240 sedan instead of a wagon by any chance (lurkers/future visitors might see or google this thread later, just trying to be thorough :)), the part number is 3525050-5, called "Anchor plate tether hook kit," and the sedan has 3 pre-drilled holes in the rear filler panel/package shelf.

U

Unregistered

Could I get the part numbers for the following?

1994 850 Wagon
1994 940 Wagon
1996 850 Wagon

I really appreciate it! Thanks!

Jeanum

Staff member
Could I get the part numbers for the following?

1994 850 Wagon
1994 940 Wagon
1996 850 Wagon

I really appreciate it! Thanks!

'94-97 850 Wagons use part number 9136928-0, called "tether hook," and have 3 anchor points on back of the seat.

The '94 940 wagon isn't listed at all. :eek: Not sure if that means there was no '94 940 wagon model in the Volvo product lineup at all, or if it's just not retrofittable, or if it was inadvertently left out of the LATCH manual. :confused: For what it's worth, the '91-97 940 sedan model and the '91-93 940 wagon models are listed as retrofittable in the LATCH manual with part number 3548778-4.

U

Unregistered

I'm wondering if someone could tell me the tether anchor part number for a 1989 Volvo 240DL and if there are tether anchor holes and where. Many thanks!

Jeanum

Staff member
I'm wondering if someone could tell me the tether anchor part number for a 1989 Volvo 240DL and if there are tether anchor holes and where. Many thanks!

The tether anchor retrofit part info. for the 1989 Volvo 240DL differs depending on the body style.
According to the 2013 edition of the LATCH manual, 1978-1993 Volvo 240 2-door and 4-door models (and also Volvo 260 4-door and 2-door models from those same model years for anyone else who might need the 260's info. :)) have 3 pre-drilled holes on the rear filler panel for retrofitting up to 3 top tether anchors, and Volvo's tether anchor retrofit part number is 3525050-5, called an "Anchor Plate Tether Hook Kit."

1989-1993 Volvo 240 wagons have 3 top tether anchor points on the back of the vehicle seats for retrofitting up to 3 top tether anchors, and Volvo's tether anchor retrofit part number is 3525051-3, called a "Tether Hook."

U

Unregistered

'94-97 850 Wagons use part number 9136928-0, called "tether hook," and have 3 anchor points on back of the seat.

The '94 940 wagon isn't listed at all. :eek: Not sure if that means there was no '94 940 wagon model in the Volvo product lineup at all, or if it's just not retrofittable, or if it was inadvertently left out of the LATCH manual. :confused: For what it's worth, the '91-97 940 sedan model and the '91-93 940 wagon models are listed as retrofittable in the LATCH manual with part number 3548778-4.

any idea where i could get this part??

i need the anchors for my childs rear facing car seat.

Jeanum

Staff member
any idea where i could get this part??

i need the anchors for my childs rear facing car seat.

Hi there. :) Any Volvo dealership parts department should be able to determine if top tether anchor retrofit parts are still available for retrofitting a pre-factory equipped Volvo model. Since you mentioned you need to install a rear facing carseat, please bear in mind the top tether anchor retrofit parts discussed above are intended for forward facing harnessed carseat installation using the vehicle seatbelt, and are not retrofit parts to add lower LATCH anchors to the vehicle seat crease/bight to be used instead of the vehicle seatbelt for installing a carseat. Lower LATCH anchors cannot be retrofitted in pre-factory equipped Volvo models nor in other pre-factory equipped vehicle models.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

We have a 1990 Volvo 240 and are trying to install a rear facing seat for our baby on the way... Am I correct in assuming from this comment that there are no lower anchor options for this vehicle? The seat we bought says in the manual that lap only belts arent sufficient to install the seat rear facing, I'm thinking the seat won't work for us at all :( any help is very much appreciated!

Hi there. :) Any Volvo dealership parts department should be able to determine if top tether anchor retrofit parts are still available for retrofitting a pre-factory equipped Volvo model. Since you mentioned you need to install a rear facing carseat, please bear in mind the top tether anchor retrofit parts discussed above are intended for forward facing harnessed carseat installation using the vehicle seatbelt, and are not retrofit parts to add lower LATCH anchors to the vehicle seat create/bight to be used instead of the vehicle seatbelt for installing a carseat. Lower LATCH anchors cannot be retrofitted in pre-factory equipped Volvo models nor in other pre-factory equipped vehicle models.

MelodyoftheForest

What seat are you trying to install? Seats made for the US market have to be able to be installed with a lap only belt, a lap/shoulder belt, or lower anchors. I don't know how/if the belts in your vehicle lock, so you might need to use a locking clip if you have a lap/shoulder belt.

Jeanum

Staff member
We have a 1990 Volvo 240 and are trying to install a rear facing seat for our baby on the way... Am I correct in assuming from this comment that there are no lower anchor options for this vehicle? The seat we bought says in the manual that lap only belts arent sufficient to install the seat rear facing, I'm thinking the seat won't work for us at all :( any help is very much appreciated!

You're correct, the post you quoted remains the case regarding LATCH - there is no retrofitting lower LATCH anchors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC