What Minivan for 5 kids?

JeeJee

What Minivan for 5 kids? UPDATED!

Hey guys,
My minivan is pretty much shot, it'll cost $4500 to get her fixed and its just not worth it. We are in teh market for a new van and want to take advantage of interest free deals from either Nissan for the Quest, VW for the Routan or Dodge/ Chrysler for their T&C and Grand Caravan. I keep hearing they are all the same but DH is leaning toward the Routan.

All I really care about is fitting all my carseats in there. I have 3 kids in highback turboboosters and a 5 mo in a graco snugride and a 3 yo RF in a EFTA. If you have this many kids or know if they would configure in them, please help me. I know I could go to the dealer but I dont want to drive around in my clunker too much longer. One of the problems is a gas leak that has only been temporarily fixed.:(

Last edited:
ADS

lpperry

Why don't you look at all of those minivans and look specifically at the back seat. That is where you are going to run into the problem--getting 3 across. I have a Ford Windstar and the third row is very small. I have a radian, snugride, ETA, Eddie Bauer booster/harness seat, and a Cosco Summit booster/harness. I can't get any of those combos in the back. It's possible I can get one of the boosters, radian, and baseless snugride, but I didn't try to actually install them.

I think I'd need at least one more radian (or Cocorro) to fit anything in the back. I don't have any dedicated boosters, so those might be a bit smaller.

I'd get the van with the widest back seat.

firemomof3

The Routan is just a dodge caravan with a volkswagon emblem, it only has 1 third row tether and the third row is narrow.
I would look at the Kia Sedona, Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey instead :thumbsup:

molly&elle

routan is really the caravan just priced up. same engine! don't pa money for the VW symbol. We were looking at the same thing last fall. we went for the Honda great sales in the fall

Heather98012

I would look at the Kia Sedona, Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey instead :thumbsup:

:yeahthat: The Hyundai Entourage is the same van as the Kia, just a little nicer. Your hubby might like that one better than the Kia. The 2009 year is the last year for the Entourage so you may find some screaming deals. Or of course the Ody or Sienna. There is 2.9% financing on 2009 Ody's right now. Toyota's deals vary depending on where you are, but in my area they are offering 2.9% up to 48 mos & 3.9% for 60 mos on 2010 Siennas (or $750 cash back).

NannyMom

JeeJee, I think we need to have a carseat playdate (w/o kids) at some dealerships.

You're problem will be getting 3 boosters across the back. Actually, getting 3 anything across the back can be tricky. Do any of those vans have 3 seats in the 2nd row?

OP also has a TF for the baby when the SR is outgrown.

swtgi1982

I would say two turbos OUTBOARD in third row and RF Convertible in center and then the other turbo outboard in center and baby in center row as well. I would say that would also depend on seat arrangement in a van. If it has two benches then go as stated, but if it has two buckets outboard the RF in the center rear could be hard. But is necessary if you have no shoulder belt in center rear as most do not. If it does have shoulder belts in all three spots in rear then I would go with the option of RF convertible outboard and turbos center and other outboard. I would still keep on in center so as other kids can get in to third row with out having to duck under a RF convertible. Turbos are fairly narrow so it should work.

JeeJee

UpDate! ok so we got an odyssey YAAAAAAY! I love that thing already. its an 8 seater 2010. so spacious! I have 2 TBs outboard in the back. EFTA rf on pass side center, snugride on drivers side center and 10yo in the little seat that comes as the "8th" seat. I know its little but its perfect for him, kinda like a built in booster. the seat belt fits him perfectly, even the headrest is lower than the captains on each side of him, so I feel he'd be ok like that. I really like all the safety features in this van. I feel confident that we are as safe as can be for right now and comfortable too.

Anyway funny story-
My husband was furious with Kathy, NannyMom on here! LOL
after he signed the papers and went to take our carseats out of our old van to trade it in, my hubby could NOT get the snugride and the EFTA out. The straps were so tight and those things would not move! so two more guys from the dealership came to help him and they all tried to and none of them could even move the things. finally dh called me on the phone and asked me how the heck to get them out and I told him and he said, whoever put these in there must have had a machine or something bc theres no way a human being is that strong and made it this tight! he was soooo mad! I just laughed because I thought, well if 3 grown men can barely move it than imagine how safe it would have been in an accident!
Finally my dh got off one latch and unloosened the strps and got off the other. later he told me that one of the guys brought him a razor to just cut the straps! LOLOL of course he didnt though.
So carseat installation guru of the year award goes to kathy-nannymom!
You might find me knocking at your door again one saturday to install them again in our new van, I love how rock solid they are when you do it.
Thanks again everybody!

NannyMom

I'm glad you found a van you love and it'll keep your boys safe :) The 2 boys in the 3rd row should have an easier time tightening after they buckle, the Odyssey doesn't have locking latchplates like your other van did.

That story is too funny :) Come on over and we'll work on naking sure you can get them rock solid (though I know I told you less than 1 inch of movement is ok). Did you get the EFTA in with latch or did you have to use the seatbelt?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC