What is the best child restraint for this situation?

JaRylan

Hi all,
I need deciding some car seat issues and everyone here is just so good at what they do!

Rylan's dad and I are separated and he recently moved about 4 hours away for work. This means that Rylan sees him every other weekend or maybe 3 weekends a month. Rylan recently outgrew his car seats that were harnessed and he is not mature enough to sit in a booster properly. He is 4.5 years old but has a seizure disorder that has caused him to regress. He is 40" tall and weighs 45lbs.

I bought a Radian 65 for my vehicle but I am still thinking I would like the Regent eventually. I figured I would wait until Transport Canada issues the higher ff weight limit (supposedly 04/01/07) and then get an approved Regent and sell the Radian to my sister. There is no way that his dad would go for a Regent for his vehicle (he thought the Radian was big???).

Now the questions (factors that need to be considered follow):

Should we just share the Radian 65? It installed great in his parent's Impala (but I did have to work at it to get it tight enough) and he says it installed well in his Cobalt. Problem being it means installing a seat all the time and I don't know if they have the strength to do it. They (the ex or his parents) aren't very receptive when I double check things that they have done (and I can't blame them, but please do it right then!).

Is Rylan better off in a 5 point harnessed seat (Radian 65) or a booster seat (hopefully a Britax Parkway) when he is with his dad (given the potential for misuse of the harnessed seat by grandparents and even when dad is in a rush)? I think my ex is willing to buy a HWH seat but I'm wondering if this is the best option.

Can you lock the shoulder/lap belt when you are using a booster? Just trying to think of ways to limit how far Rylan can go when he gets the notion to.

Things to consider:

- they travel at night so it is hard to see if he is still positioned properly

- the driver should be watching the road as much as possible, harnessed seat would make this easier

- grandparents would be using the seat in their vehicle and they don't always pay attention to detail or forget things so the potential for unintentional misuse is good

- it is 8 hours of driving round-trip on single-lane highways

- Rylan sleeps a lot in vehicles (so far the Radian is great for sleeping)

- Rylan has seizures and can slump forward or to the side

- ex drives a 2005 Cobalt and there is a shoulder belt in the middle (so booster could be in the middle)

If you think of anything else you would like to add or question please go ahead. I know he is safe when he is with his dad and his grandparents, I just want him to be as safe as possible. I really worry about the amount of highway driving and the fact that I won't be able to install the seat all the time.

Thanks,
Jacqui

ADS

RubysGirl

btw, I'm think in with the seatbelt locked he should be fine in the vest, it holds the belt on him in the right place, and keeps him attached/under the belt. With it locked I couldn't forsee him getting a lot of movement in.

scatterbunny

No, the vests aren't available in Canada. :(

I think I'd really push for a harnessed seat, even with the potential for misuse. :( Tough call, really. But I would just worry that, even with the belt locked, in a booster he could slump to the side that there was no shoulderbelt. Locking the belt helps remind kids to stay in position, but if they truly don't want to be in position or cannot HELP getting out of position it won't hold them in place.

JaRylan

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. In Canada you can get an EZOn harness ($300 or so) and it can be used with a booster I believe. I think we will share the Radian for a few more visits and then make a decision on a harnessed restraint be it a car seat or a vest of some sort. The EZOn harness seems like it would be easy to use as long as you have top tethers.

Now I'm off to phone Radian and tell them I have short harness straps! It never ends, lol. I wonder if I should phone the Canadian Radian rep (say it 3 times fast) and see if he is anymore educated about the short harness strap issue than he was a few days ago with another poster. She ended up getting help from the US Radian rep.

Jacqui

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC