replacing elastic on a MA cover

bethng

Any tips? A friend of mine is going to do it for me. She can sew....I cant. Anythink I need to tell her before she goes at it? Any special tricks? thanks!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

How old is it? The older covers had the elastic serged to the edge of the cover and it can be a pain to replace. Newer ones have a pocket that you just have to open and thread new elastic through.

jujumum

Is it the kind of cover that has a channel sewn for the elastic to slide through loosely? Most MA covers are like this, but my dc isn't.

I don't know how it is supposed to be replaced, but what I did is:

Snip a small 1/4" cut in the channel somewhere inconspicuous (eg. behind headrest)
Pull out the elastic about 10"
Snip the in the middle, keeping both sides out
Sew a new 1/2" wide elastic to the end of one of the elastic sides
Pull the other end of the elastic out, which will pull the new elastic in
Keep pulling & working through slowly until the old elastic is all the way out
and the new elastic is all the way in making sure it doesn't twist
Test fit on seat to make sure the amount of elastic used is not too tight or loose
Snip off old elastic
Double or triple sew elastic ends together
Pull all elastic into channel
Put a couple of stitches in the snip in the channel (first line)

This took me no time at all and no real sewing skills.

:)

bethng

How old is it? The older covers had the elastic serged to the edge of the cover and it can be a pain to replace. Newer ones have a pocket that you just have to open and thread new elastic through.

Its a cover off a March 05 MA. Cute cover but elastic is a little loose. Need it fixed so I can use it or sell it. Cant decide which

a_js

The serged-on kind are a royal pain to re-elastic. The "channel" kind is much easier. If it's the serged-on type I might have her just do the corners or something--the effect would be about the same and it would be a lot less work (ie don't take all the old stuff out, as you'll end up rehemming the entire cover).

bethng

I will have to look at it after it gets out of the wash. Not sure I know what serged vs non serged looks like though! lol I am a sewing idiot

tjham

If she sews, she'll know by looking at it. ;)

I redid the elastic in an older cover. What a pain! You have to stretch the elastic along the cover edge while you're actually sewing it on the machine. Mine came out fine, as long as no one looks under the cover too closely! :D

crunchierthanthou

I will have to look at it after it gets out of the wash. Not sure I know what serged vs non serged looks like though! lol I am a sewing idiot

serged left, channel right

MAelastic2.jpg

MAelastic.jpg

can you see how the Fido edge is flat and the elastic is connected directly to it? that's the serged edge and it is harder to replace. The Crocodile has a channel for the elastic, so it's easier to work with.

jujumum

You should be able to tell if the elastic is serged to the cover or loose inside by pulling and stretching it.

If it is connected to the cover, you should have her create remove the seams and make a channel for the elastic to be threaded to, rather than recreating the serged design (if there is enough fabric).

My Mom had to fix our MA cover & what she decided to do instead of replacing elastic was at the top 2 corners of the cover she gathered the fabric so it made a simple triangle inside & sewed it, like gathering in the fabric when something is to big make a pleat. That was better then the elastic, the cover never slid down again!!!

If I was horrible at explaining this I can try & get some pics!

Jamie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC