MDX / Forward-anchored seat belts / Third Row

T

Theo

MDX / Forward-anchored seat belts / Third Row

I have a 2002 Acura MDX and cannot find a child seat that can be installed securely in the third row seats using standard belt routing. The third row seats have rear tether anchors, but they do not have the LATCH system and the seatbelts are "forward-anchored" (meaning that the seatbelt attachment points are several inches forward of where the back of the seat and bottom of the seat meet). When I belt the Britax Roundabout in forward facing (and any other forward facing seat) I find that the lower part of the child seat is not held firmly against the seat back. In a crash I believe it could travel forward far enough to crush a child's feet/legs between the child seat and the back of the second row seats. If the seat had the latch system or a standard lap belt, I think this would not be a problem. Any suggestions about whether they can be added or whether there is a child seat that works better with forward-anchored seat belts?

ADS
C

CPSDarren

This can be a problem

The Roundabout manual gives you a handy "ruler" on the edge of one page to see how forward the seatbelts can be for proper use. Some carseats even specify that they cannot be used with forward-anchored belts like this. This is one reason the LATCH system was developed; seatbelt systems like this are designed to improve protection for adults but they can make installing carseats more difficult.

Your best option is to visit an experienced techncian in person. Please visit the "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner to find one near you. If you make an appointment for a free checkup, you might explain the problem in advance, or ask for an instructor or senior checker if you are concerned.

It is often possible to get a good installation with these types of seatbelts, but it can take some effort. The Roundabout does tend to be one of the better seats in this regard, though. If the carseat and vehicle owner's manual do not prohibit installation with these type of belts, then you just need to make sure the installation results in less than an inch of side-to-side and front-to-back movement when you grip the seat where the seatbelt is routed.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but in some cases you really need to see it in person to give correct advice. Unforutnately, I doubt you will be able to get a LATCH or lap-belt retrofit:-(

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC